Calling asking for Update

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SanDiegoLaw

Calling asking for Update

Postby SanDiegoLaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I couldt find any information on this...

Is calling to check on the status of your application a good or bad thing? Do schools respond nicely to these type of calls?

Thanks...

mileslibertatis

Re: Calling asking for Update

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 pm

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that it is not a good idea. My personal interpretation is that the school will either stonewall you with something like, "We are processing files today and should have decisions this week" etc., or that they will actually review your file more quickly but you may not like the result.

In either case you aren't doing yourself any favors.

transferquestion123

Postby transferquestion123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm

SanDiegoLaw wrote:I couldt find any information on this...

Is calling to check on the status of your application a good or bad thing? Do schools respond nicely to these type of calls?

Thanks...

DO NOT do this. Just don't. It pisses off the admissions office and while the admissions committee won't likely hear about it, it's unlikely you'll get any helpful information. The only exception to this I know of is when Stanford updates your tracker to "decision letter sent," it's ok to call the office and confirm you've been dinged. If you really can't wait to get that news.

SanDiegoLaw

Postby SanDiegoLaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks guys...i figured it wasnt a good idea so i decided to post on it...guess ill keep waiting

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm skeptical that it hurts you. More likely, I bet you are going to get a secretary with a canned response like "we'll have them done very soon!" or something like that. If anything, I could see it being interpreted as genuine interest in getting into the school.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I need a decision by the end of this week so I can tell my landlord whether he needs to find a new tenant. I'll tell you what happens when/if I have to call.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

shock259 wrote:I'm skeptical that it hurts you. More likely, I bet you are going to get a secretary with a canned response like "we'll have them done very soon!" or something like that. If anything, I could see it being interpreted as genuine interest in getting into the school.

Right, I can't imagine that any school would ding you because you called to ask for an update. That would be pretty cruel. However, they do probably have a number of roughly interchangeable candidates they need to decide between, and it may give them an excuse to ding you if you express that you are looking for a swift decision. Also, calling to ask for a status update can, depending on how it is phrased, be fairly read to mean you have another acceptance, and are trying to figure out if you have a seat deposit. This could then tell them that there is a lower probability you will accept than another candidate, and give them another reason to ding you.

Return to “Transfers”