TT or U of C?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Please Answer Honestly

Stay at current TT
2%
Transfer to U of C
98%

Total votes: 50

a11 1n

TT or U of C?

Postby a11 1n » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey all,

I never thought I would have to make this decision but now that I do, I would appreciate some help. I have been accepted as a transfer student at U of C. Currently I am attending Kent/Loyola/DePaul and am near the top of my class. I graded onto Law Review and have a 25k/year scholarship.

My goal is to work in Chicago. My family is here and I have no intentions of leaving. I am not dead set on Big Law but I would be interested in trying my hand at it and would definitely go through the OCI hooplah. I would prefer a mid-sized firm and I am leaning toward commercial/corporate litigation. With that said, I would like to keep the door open for entering academia down the road and becoming a law professor. I come from a working class family (read: no legal connections) and the sticker price for U of C would be financed entirely through loans. What do you suggest given my semi-modest career goals and aversion to massive debt?

Any input on making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

CanadianWolf

Re: TT or U of C?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 pm

IIT Kent/Loyola/Depaul versus the University of Chicago.

And you want the option of a career in academia after dabbling in biglaw.

The clear choice is Chicago unless I misunderstood part of your post.

P.S. Can you give a more precise definition of " near the top of my class" ?

P.P.S. Also, if "near the top of my class" means that you are in the top (1%) one percent, hasn't your school offered a larger scholarship ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I think you should transfer. It's the safer move. Even top-of-the-class people at places like Kent can get shafted. Did you read the story about the Kent LR EIC who was unemployed at graduation? At least if you go to U of C and don't find a job, you have a fucking law degree from U of C. Just my opinion of course.

lawgrl14

Postby lawgrl14 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Danteshek wrote:I think you should transfer. It's the safer move. Even top-of-the-class people at places like Kent can get shafted. Did you read the story about the Kent LR EIC who was unemployed at graduation? At least if you go to U of C and don't find a job, you have a fucking law degree from U of C. Just my opinion of course.

This is true, but it should be noted that he wasn't anywhere near the top of his class (I think I remember reading he was around 40%). Also, he now works at Kirkland.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:17 pm

You will be in a better place at U of C and if you are applying to Chicago people will recognize the school that you are coming from so this will help during OCI a lot.

WannabeBlueDevil

Postby WannabeBlueDevil » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 pm

hey op, when we talked about u xferring while watching the knicks loose, i said go to chicago.

u should go to chicgao. congratulations!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:00 pm

i would go to chicago

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm

O of C! Fugitaboutit... congrats btw, you are on to bigger better things!

CK2012

Postby CK2012 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Last edited by CK2012 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CK2012

Postby CK2012 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

lawgrl14 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I think you should transfer. It's the safer move. Even top-of-the-class people at places like Kent can get shafted. Did you read the story about the Kent LR EIC who was unemployed at graduation? At least if you go to U of C and don't find a job, you have a fucking law degree from U of C. Just my opinion of course.

This is true, but it should be noted that he wasn't anywhere near the top of his class (I think I remember reading he was around 40%). Also, he now works at Kirkland.

This is always overlooked. The kid wasn't even top third. I think his GPA was around a 3.3. Not terrible, but right in the top half. He did fine in the long-run. I don't care where you go, from top-half to big law isn't ever considered a bad thing.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

congrats on such an amazing opportunity, btw.

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 pm

CK2012 wrote:Chicago. I just graduated from Kent, and while most of my friends are all doing fine finding jobs, there are some top students getting stuck right now. Don't take that chance if you don't have to. You will seriously regret not going. I had a shot at a T20 and regret not going (and i have a job). UofC is an entirely different world from where you are now, in a good way.

OP this is so true. I just finished my 1L at Kent, was in your section actually. Applied broadly across the t14. Got accepted to GULC. When I saw their OCI list I was blown away. I mean, hundreds of firms, the biggest and the best. As I got into higher ranked schools it just became even more obvious what the best choice was for my career. Chicago >>> GULC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kent. (Note: not enough character space for all the crocodiles I wanted to use there!) Take a look at Kents OCI list and compare.

Even if you don't want biglaw for the rest of your life, you will want it for a few years. IF, based on your decision now, you don't get it out of OCI from Chicago, it is going to be much harder to get it from Kent, MUCH harder. As CK2012 said, its a different world.

WannabeBlueDevil

Postby WannabeBlueDevil » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 pm

also, if u want to teach, u pretty much need an elite degree.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

mattviphky wrote:i would go to chicago

+1

There is a reason the poll is 26-1

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Nova wrote:

+1

GODAMMIT 0LS GET OUT OF THE FUCKING TRANSFER FORUM.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Nova wrote:

+1

GODAMMIT 0LS GET OUT OF THE FUCKING TRANSFER FORUM.

*leaves*

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:GODAMMIT 0LS GET OUT OF THE FUCKING TRANSFER FORUM.

I read this in Archer's voice and lol'd

Also, enjoy U of C. Fantastic job, OP.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey guys I really appreciate all the support and honest feedback. The poll is up to 30 to 1 so it appears dam near unanimous lol. I would like to hear from the one person who voted that i stay at MY TT though. Currently I am leaning toward transferring. Petty much all of my friends and family think its a good idea but i value the input from this board because you all know the cost-benefit analysis first-hand.

My biggest concern is the massive debt I will be taking on. Most people say not to worry about it but i think its easy to say that when its not your 6-figures that you are spending. I suppose a 50k difference between the 2 schools is worth all the doors u of c will open.

To answer the first question posed, by near the top I do indeed mean top 1% and I actually did not receive any increased scholarship offer from my school. I even approached the Dean via email after rankings were released saying I was considering transferring but would forgo the opportunity if I received an increased merit scholarship and i was politely told that it wasn't gonna happen.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Great. Just be sure you do the transfer write-on if there is one. Just because you're a transfer doesn't mean you can't make LR at your new school.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 pm

a11 1n wrote:Hey guys I really appreciate all the support and honest feedback. The poll is up to 30 to 1 so it appears dam near unanimous lol. I would like to hear from the one person who voted that i stay at MY TT though. Currently I am leaning toward transferring. Petty much all of my friends and family think its a good idea but i value the input from this board because you all know the cost-benefit analysis first-hand.

My biggest concern is the massive debt I will be taking on. Most people say not to worry about it but i think its easy to say that when its not your 6-figures that you are spending. I suppose a 50k difference between the 2 schools is worth all the doors u of c will open.

To answer the first question posed, by near the top I do indeed mean top 1% and I actually did not receive any increased scholarship offer from my school. I even approached the Dean via email after rankings were released saying I was considering transferring but would forgo the opportunity if I received an increased merit scholarship and i was politely told that it wasn't gonna happen.

I think that staying would not be worth the $$ even if you were getting a windfall.. go to Chicago it is a top 5 school and if you stay you will regret the choice all your life.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 am

Last edited by 2013applicant on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WannabeBlueDevil

Postby WannabeBlueDevil » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:11 pm

reliable source told me kirkland wont be hiring from kent in 2012

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:17 pm

WannabeBlueDevil wrote:reliable source told me kirkland wont be hiring from kent in 2012

Not even a resume collect at Loyola. Just go to Chicago.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 am

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented and voted. I just mailed my seat deposit to U of C.

Best of luck to everyone with their transfer cycles and upcoming school year!

Return to “Transfers”