Penn Transfer Admits 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
forestgirl

Penn Transfer Admits 2012

Postby forestgirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:03 pm

What are everyone's thoughts coming up to the seat deposit deadline? I suppose I will have to pay the deposit before I hear from anywhere else. Penn is the only decision I've received so far-- I'm still waiting on NYU, CLS, and Harvard/Yale (in my dreams).

mileslibertatis

Re: Penn Transfer Admits 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I wonder if anyone would choose Penn over CCN?

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Maybe they're trying to capture deposits from later admits at CCN. Or maybe I'm just overly cynical.

Bendavid

Postby Bendavid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate?

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm

I bit the bullet and put my deposit in. Although, at Penn I could write-on to law review, but that's apparently not true at Columbia, so I'll have to think about it if I get into both.

Once this week rolls by and (presumably) we get the rest of our decisions from other schools, I'll be looking for a roommate as well. I know the area fairly well, so I might be able to help others out in their apartment searches as well.

SoNorthern

Postby SoNorthern » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am

I am sending in my seat deposit today. Also still waiting on NYU and CLS.

Probably would choose Penn over NYU, just based on personal preferences about the school really and size of the transfer class.

Will also be looking for a room mate.

lawskewl

Postby lawskewl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 am

I'm like everybody else. In at Penn and Michigan. Waiting for NYU/Columbia.

Leaning towards Penn at this point and very happy about it. Is anyone here in the Philly area now?

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 am

lawskewl wrote:I'm like everybody else. In at Penn and Michigan. Waiting for NYU/Columbia.

Leaning towards Penn at this point and very happy about it. Is anyone here in the Philly area now?

I'm living in central NJ right now, an easy hour drive from Philly. I'm trying to decide where to live if I end up going to Penn-- probably the Cherry Hill or Bensalem areas. Anywhere that's cheap to live but a quick train ride into the city.

Is anyone planning on visiting Penn soon, or if you've already visited, how was it? I haven't been able to get there since I'm always working when admissions is open.

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am

I'm not living there now, but I'm reasonably familiar with the area (my parents live nearby), so I may be able to answer some questions.

I have visited the law school, and I was very impressed. It's a rather big complex considering the size of the student body. The entire place is really gorgeous. The students I have met are all quite amicable, and everyone was more than happy to talk to me. I also liked that students hung around in the hallways, courtyard, and lounges — everyone really wanted to be there. The faculty and staff I met were great, too. I only spent an hour or so there (I was just passing through the area), but everyone I met was great, and the place left a great impression.

trespass2chattel

Postby trespass2chattel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 am

I'm looking for a roomie/place to live.

Anyone coming from west of the mississippi?

trespass2chattel

Postby trespass2chattel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 am

/ whats up with the regional OCI? It appears to coincide with the law review write-on including the proctored editing sessions on the 8th and 9th...

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 am

forestgirl wrote:
lawskewl wrote:I'm like everybody else. In at Penn and Michigan. Waiting for NYU/Columbia.

I'm living in central NJ right now, an easy hour drive from Philly. I'm trying to decide where to live if I end up going to Penn-- probably the Cherry Hill or Bensalem areas. Anywhere that's cheap to live but a quick train ride into the city.

Is anyone planning on visiting Penn soon, or if you've already visited, how was it? I haven't been able to get there since I'm always working when admissions is open.

I don't think you need to live that far away if you don't want to. Some of the housing around there is very affordable, especially if you get roommates.

ReversedAndRemanded

Postby ReversedAndRemanded » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Xferr wrote:
forestgirl wrote:

I don't think you need to live that far away if you don't want to. Some of the housing around there is very affordable, especially if you get roommates.

Coming from someone who transferred last year and decided to spend the first semester living at home (suburbs north of the city), it's much more trouble than it's worth. Maybe you enjoy commuting, but I really wouldn't recommend it. Nor would I ever recommend living in Bensalem; getting from outside the Northeast to University City is not the most fun trip to take daily.

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:
Xferr wrote:
forestgirl wrote:

Coming from someone who transferred last year and decided to spend the first semester living at home (suburbs north of the city), it's much more trouble than it's worth. Maybe you enjoy commuting, but I really wouldn't recommend it. Nor would I ever recommend living in Bensalem; getting from outside the Northeast to University City is not the most fun trip to take daily.

The reasoning for the commute is that my boyfriend works in central NJ, so we were trying to find something manageable in between. However it's looking like I will be withdrawing from Penn and attending CLS, which is a way better commuting situation for us with his job. Given the choice, I'd much rather live in the city (either Philly for Penn or NYC for CLS) than commute, but it is what it is.

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 pm

forestgirl wrote:The reasoning for the commute is that my boyfriend works in central NJ, so we were trying to find something manageable in between. However it's looking like I will be withdrawing from Penn and attending CLS, which is a way better commuting situation for us with his job. Given the choice, I'd much rather live in the city (either Philly for Penn or NYC for CLS) than commute, but it is what it is.

No worries. I just thought you were thinking in terms of normalcy for most major cities, which is that it's WAY cheaper to live outside and commute a little. Philly is weird though - commuting is absolute hell and it's not necessarily cheaper.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 pm

There are no roads in the Philadelphia area that are not congested until you get across the bridge and in to SoJo land.

SoNorthern

Postby SoNorthern » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Has anyone set up a facebook group yet?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm

That I don't know. I got in touch with my "Morris Fellow" today, and every passing day with no word from Chicago or HYS makes it more likely that I go to Penn.

Bendavid

Postby Bendavid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:That I don't know. I got in touch with my "Morris Fellow" today, and every passing day with no word from Chicago or HYS makes it more likely that I go to Penn.

My Morris Fellow > Your Morris Fellow

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

He was nice enough, but I can't say I am ready to defend him in a flamewar.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

I would like to share with you all that I am definitely choosing Penn over NYU and I kind of hope Chicago and the rest reject me so I can go to Penn with an easy mind.

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm with ya - clock's ticking and I just wanna do what I need to do. I mean hell, OCI bidlist is due on the 25th. It's the 19th.

Columbia - you need to get your act together.

Yankee11

Postby Yankee11 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Hey guys I am going to be a 1L in the Fall, I got a 2BR leased out I'm looking for a roommate. Room opened up after my roommate got off the WL at Harvard. Its on Sansom Street 5 min. walk from the law school. Message me if your interested.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm

I created a secret Facebook group. PM me and we will link up with real names and all that.

If there is already one, let me know and I will delete this one.

Return to “Transfers”