Seton Hall/Rutgers/Fordham

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yankees123

Seton Hall/Rutgers/Fordham

Postby yankees123 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Currently go to a Tier 3 school that costs 44k/yr. I have a 10k/yr scholarship but also have about 8K/yr in living expenses. In my 1L year, I did pretty well (top 17% and 3.4 GPA). I was recently admitted to Rutgers-Newark (which would be 22K/yr b/c I live in NJ) + living expenses so I would commute and live at home. Also was admitted to Seton Hall (which is 47k/yr, but I got a $15k/yr transfer scholarship) and would also commute. Obviously Rutgers-newark is cheaper, but I was wondering which is better for OCI opportunities and ultimate job prospects? I also applied to Fordham but would have to consider the cost if I got in there. Any advice?

Danteshek

Re: Seton Hall/Rutgers/Fordham

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Have you considered dropping out of law school?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:Have you considered dropping out of law school?

That seems unnecessary.

And also, haven't we all?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Rutgers-Newark makes the most sense because it is the lowest cost & near your home.

SoNorthern

Postby SoNorthern » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:20 am

Rutgers-Newark seems better form a cost standpoint. But the vibe I have gotten is that Seton Hall has better career opportunities and a stronger network in Central/Northern NJ firms. Obviously, if you have any interest in being in NYC go to Fordham.

Fordham will give you access to good midsize and depending on your stats big law firms. Rutgers and Seton Hall will give you access to really great New Jersey firms, and New York Firms that have offices in NJ (many Big Law firms in NY have smaller Newark Offices)..

Having said that it will be much more difficult to go big law in NYC from RU or SHU, again not impossible, just becomes far more dependent on your stats.

So overall it depends on what you went. If its really a matter of dollars and cents, I think RU is your obvious choice; if you want better career prospects in NJ, in my experience, Seton Hall is stronger, and if you want really anything in NYC go Fordham (which will still give you access to NJ).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:29 am

SoNorthern wrote:Rutgers-Newark seems better form a cost standpoint. But the vibe I have gotten is that Seton Hall has better career opportunities and a stronger network in Central/Northern NJ firms.

I'm from NJ and I interviewed extensively in NJ. This is VERY wrong. Rutgers and Seton Hall have the same career opportunities and same network in Central/North NJ. OP: go to Rutgers because it's cheaper. There will be zero difference in the opportunities you have from there (small firms in NJ) and the opportunities you have at Seton Hall (small firms in NJ).

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

keg411 wrote:
SoNorthern wrote:Rutgers-Newark seems better form a cost standpoint. But the vibe I have gotten is that Seton Hall has better career opportunities and a stronger network in Central/Northern NJ firms.

I'm from NJ and I interviewed extensively in NJ. This is VERY wrong. Rutgers and Seton Hall have the same career opportunities and same network in Central/North NJ. OP: go to Rutgers because it's cheaper. There will be zero difference in the opportunities you have from there (small firms in NJ) and the opportunities you have at Seton Hall (small firms in NJ).
Co-signed.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:09 am

Have you considered paying sticker at Fordham (if you get in) and commuting from home? How far away from the city are you? Honestly, neither RU or Seton Hall is going to leave you in a nice position for a good job after school.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am

quiver wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Co-signed.

Yeah rutgers is the smart play here. It's so much cheaper and the rutgers brand is very strong in NJ.

InSport

Postby InSport » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:10 pm

I go to Rutgers - Newark, and from what I understand the OCI opportunities are essentially the exact same as with Seton Hall. Historically, Rutgers had typically been higher ranked than Seton Hall, but over the last few years it has slipped. Of course, employers in the area are not paying ultra-close attention to the year-by-year changes in the U.S. News rankings. So as far as most employers are concerned, the two schools are essentially on equal footing. I would go for saving yourself the $10k/year (or however much you said) and go with Rutgers.

If you have any questions about Rutgers, feel free to PM me.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Danteshek wrote:Have you considered dropping out of law school?

Not everyone can transfer into the preftigious LOYOLA LAW SCHOOL and write onto the preftigious LOYOLA LAW REVIEW.

Return to “Transfers”