Stay or Go?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
schweitziro

Stay or Go?

Postby schweitziro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

Tier 4 (potentially one of the worst schools) vs. 2 schools in the 20-30 range?

Tier 4 will be giving me a full-ride now.. so I will be about 40-50k in debt.

Law prof. and the judge I am working for both have said they would make sure I get an opportunity with a NALP 250 firm. There have been a few grads who have been lucky enough to land in these firms, so it isn't too outlandish.

Grazzhoppa

Re: Stay or Go?

Postby Grazzhoppa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 am

what are the 2 schools?

I would go from a TTTT to a T30 any day of the week either way though.

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am

depends on your goals. If you want big law, your chances are much better from a T1 school. If you want regional or small practice, not so much.

Do you mind sharing what TTTT? everyone thinks their TTTT is the worst...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't care how much money you're getting at your TTTT. Get the fuck out of there.

schweitziro

Postby schweitziro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:38 pm

3|ink wrote:I don't care how much money you're getting at your TTTT. Get the fuck out of there.

Odds are I won't strike rich and land a big-law job at my transfer school. Consequently, I will likely be vying for the same job opportunities people are lining up for me. Really, it comes down to whether I rely upon people to get me the position (and have a lesser degree of financial risk) or take a leap and try qualify for these positions in the typical manner (with a traditional law school debt burden).

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:51 pm

schweitziro wrote:Law prof. and the judge I am working for both have said they would make sure I get an opportunity with a NALP 250 firm. There have been a few grads who have been lucky enough to land in these firms, so it isn't too outlandish.

How can they "make sure"? Sounds highly suspect. Even if they know one partner/equity partner its going to take more than that to get one of those jobs. If, for some reason, they really can "make sure", I'd stay.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:27 pm

OP: Which two law schools have accepted you as a transfer applicant ?

Target market ?

Current law school ?

Return to “Transfers”