Top 10% exactly, 3.81 at Cornell to... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whoacornell

New

Top 10% exactly, 3.81 at Cornell to...

Post by whoacornell » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 pm

So I applied to transfer to Penn, NYU and Columbia. So far in at NYU and still awaiting Columbia (NYU over Penn so Penn is out). I was deadset on leaving until I did financial calculations.

I currently am getting $25k from Cornell. Factoring in the loss of that, accrued interest, plus COL in NYC, that comes out to, in simple terms, a lot of money. So now I would like to stay.

My issue is that I skipped the writing comp completely. I am wondering how bad this would look come interview time. I want litigation 100%. I was hoping for Cravath, Sullivan, Simpson, Davis Polk, or Paul Weiss. Thoughts?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Top 10% exactly, 3.81 at Cornell to...

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Go.

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Stay - Cornell v. NYU is not that big of difference for NY big law, especially with your grades. If you are a decent interviewee, you will get many many offers. You will be able to pick and choose. Congrats!

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 pm

You can work on to a journal.

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

With your grades, I don't think journal matters. You will get multiple offers from your list - OCI interviewers will base their decision on your Cornell grades, not NYU. So, just transfer if you can't stand Ithaca. But besides that, I don't see why you would transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Who would even apply to Penn/Columbia/NYU from top 10% at Cornell? If you want real prestige, HYS or bust.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Likely in at Columbia. Go.

Reasonable chance for Harvard.

Big mistake not to write-on for law review at Cornell. You'll be explaining that for awhile. If you stay, focus on making top 5%.

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

In regards to law review explanation: Just say the truth in interviews...you were intending to transfer, but then for some reason you didn't...With those grades, you do not need law review.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm

With those grades, you may lose out to another top 10% with law review. Go. Otherwise your decision to not write-on may seem foolish--especially since you were accepted to NYU. Either go or make top 5%.

P.S. Maybe you don't understand how competitive NYC biglaw is & how competitive NYC biglaw attorneys are. You risk being viewed as a wimp if you stay. Either go or make top 5%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 pm

A top-10% "wimp" at Cornell will get almost any NY big firm he wants.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:With those grades, you may lose out to another top 10% with law review. Go. Otherwise your decision to not write-on may seem foolish--especially since you were accepted to NYU. Either go or make top 5%.

P.S. Maybe you don't understand how competitive NYC biglaw is & how competitive NYC biglaw attorneys are. You risk being viewed as a wimp if you stay. Either go or make top 5%.
How is your advice so consistently troll-like, even though I know you are serious?

I think the chances that you get one of your desired firms is pretty high -- I am summering at one of them and there are multiple people here from reasonably high in the class at Cornell but no Law Review. I am not sure how going to NYU would improve your odds, and I could frankly see it hurting in the short run.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply to Harvard?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 pm

You can get all of those firms from Cornell with your grades. Transferring will hurt your chances.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 pm

:arrow:
rayiner wrote:You can get all of those firms from Cornell with your grades. Transferring will hurt your chances.
This. Unless you can get Stanford or Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 pm

@geepee: Do you really think that law review is not important for NYC biglaw ?

Also, how do you suggest that OP respond if asked about law review ?

Agree that OP should have applied to Harvard. If OP didn't ,then questionable judgment in light of not participating in the write-on.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@geepee: Do you really think that law review is not important for NYC biglaw ?

Agree that OP should have applied to Harvard. If OP didn't ,then questionable judgment in light of not participating in the write-on.
Plenty of people from Cornell without LR get firms listed by OP.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 pm

No, LR is not going to make or break anyone at any V10. Walking away from a scholly is not credited. Lean into the transfer schools for need-based aid if you think you can get it, but otherwise, stay put.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:53 pm

IAFG wrote:No, LR is not going to make or break anyone at any V10. Walking away from a scholly is not credited. Lean into the transfer schools for need-based aid if you think you can get it, but otherwise, stay put.
You don't know how bad Ithaca is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:54 pm

@ajax: I understand. Just curious how geepee would respond if asked.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@ajax: I understand. Just curious how geepee would respond if asked.
You honestly shouldn't be giving advice.

You told OP to raise his grades to top 5%? 1L is over. I don't even know how to interpret that.

Also you obviously know nothing about Cornell. LR write on grades is ~top 8%. He won't have much explaining to do since he wouldn't have graded on.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 pm

OP's original post in this thread stated that he missed the writing competition.

@ajax: Do you really believe that Cornell LR is limited to grade-on only ? You shouldn't be offering advice if you believe that.

P.S. @ajax: Reread OP's original post in this thread & you'll understand.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm

OP: You are a likely transfer admit to Columbia. If accepted, go.

If you remain at Cornell & are asked about LR, you risk being viewed as a wimp or a flake. Focus on the scholarship. As I wrote above, you risk losing out to other T-14 candidates with top 10% & law review.

Sure you can get NYC biglaw with your current class rank at Cornell, but you might lose out on some when competing with other top 10% & LR.

Did you apply to Harvard ?

P.S. Just looked at a few of ajaxconstructions earlier posts. Apparently ajax is a Cornell law student in the top 20% who decided not to do the write-on for Cornell's law review. Odd that ajax would now play dumb by suggesting that Cornell's law review is limited to the top 8% grade-ons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:08 am

CanadianWolf wrote:@geepee: Do you really think that law review is not important for NYC biglaw ?

That's a straw man. I think that, with OP's grades and his class of target firms, no LR will not break his chances. Never did I say that it's not important in any circumstance. If OP was top 25% and didn't write on, I would think that's dumb.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 am

Does Cornell have something like moot court or another litigation-based practice simulation that takes up significant time (clinical programs, etc.)? If so, just say you are 100% lit and wanted to do that instead of journal. I think if you come up with a reason that you didn't do the write on, the firms won't care.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:Also you obviously know nothing about Cornell. LR write on grades is ~top 8%. He won't have much explaining to do since he wouldn't have graded on.
CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Just looked at a few of ajaxconstructions earlier posts. Apparently ajax is a Cornell law student in the top 20% who decided not to do the write-on for Cornell's law review. Odd that ajax would now play dumb by suggesting that Cornell's law review is limited to the top 8% grade-ons.
CanadianWolf wrote:@ajax: Do you really believe that Cornell LR is limited to grade-on only ? You shouldn't be offering advice if you believe that.
This is not what ajax said. S/he merely stated that because only the top 8% or so grade on to LR, then the OP will not have to explain grading on then turning it down. The assumption being that people will think that OP participated in the write-on and merely didn't make it.

Anyway, not sure why OP didn't apply to at least H if not YSH. If looking only for biglaw than I would probably stay put. If looking for clerkships (or a very slim chance at academia) then transferring may be better.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:50 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: You are a likely transfer admit to Columbia. If accepted, go.

If you remain at Cornell & are asked about LR, you risk being viewed as a wimp or a flake. Focus on the scholarship. As I wrote above, you risk losing out to other T-14 candidates with top 10% & law review.

Sure you can get NYC biglaw with your current class rank at Cornell, but you might lose out on some when competing with other top 10% & LR.

Did you apply to Harvard ?

P.S. Just looked at a few of ajaxconstructions earlier posts. Apparently ajax is a Cornell law student in the top 20% who decided not to do the write-on for Cornell's law review. Odd that ajax would now play dumb by suggesting that Cornell's law review is limited to the top 8% grade-ons.
I actually made LR, thanks though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”