Harvard Transfer Class 2014 New Admits! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Gold

Re: Harvard Transfer Class 2014 New Admits!

Post by fatduck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Please note that Transfer Orientation is August 9, not August 10 as previously communicated through prior correspondence. We are very sorry about this miscommunication. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
good thing i was proactive and already bought plane tickets!

/self

lawgrl14

New

Post by lawgrl14 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Ok, so I was admitted literally this afternoon and have until Friday, 5:00 to decide. The decision for me is 100% financial aid, and I obviously don't have the time to hear back about my application for aid. Has anyone on here heard about theirs and can PM to share with me? Otherwise, is there a good way to find out around what figure I can expect?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Do you or your family have any $$$$? If not, the rumor is that you can expect ~$30K in grant money for this year (not including loans).

Also, protip: Make sure you do not choose the LOAN ONLY option, or else you'll feel like an idiot when you have to call financial aid and ask for a do-over. :oops:

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 am

Anybody wanna talk about bidding?

Career Services said they typically lump transfers in as students with a mix of Ps and Hs. On the other hand, I've been told by some past transfers to bid as aggressively as I like. Anybody have any thoughts? I've got mostly a mix of V10/20 and some peppered other V100 firms.

ust2008

New

Post by ust2008 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 am

PinkCow wrote:Anybody wanna talk about bidding?

Career Services said they typically lump transfers in as students with a mix of Ps and Hs. On the other hand, I've been told by some past transfers to bid as aggressively as I like. Anybody have any thoughts? I've got mostly a mix of V10/20 and some peppered other V100 firms.
I think results will vary depending on (1) which school you are transferring from, (2) work experience (including 1L summer), and (3) how polished you are during screening interviews.

That being said, I plan to bid aggressively.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawgrl14

New

Post by lawgrl14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I was hoping any admits who have gone through the financial aid process and wouldn't mind sharing their experience could PM me. I'm not trying to be intrusive, but my decision (which needs to be made tomorrow) all comes down to money. Thanks very much.

lawgrl14

New

Post by lawgrl14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Also, if anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'm interested. And also, I think I will have to live out of a hotel for interview week (and wait till September 1 if I choose to do off-campus housing). If anyone is also cornered into this situation, I'd love to split a room. Would be way cheaper than moving August 1.

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Last edited by KindleNexusfan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Based on my conversations with my mentor, I would bid aggressively. Also, if you look at where the transfers from last year ended up, you will be encouraged. Of course, your work experience and 1L credentials could play a role.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Last edited by KindleNexusfan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksense

New

Post by ksense » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 pm

CSM -> Resources tab.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm

KindleNexusfan wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:

Based on my conversations with my mentor, I would bid aggressively. Also, if you look at where the transfers from last year ended up, you will be encouraged. Of course, your work experience and 1L credentials could play a role.
Wait, how can we see where transfers from last year ended up?
https://www.law.harvard.edu/current/car ... dents.html

You need to use the password provided in the OCS introduction email.

Then click on "Connect with a Transfer Student Mentor" It shows where each worked this summer.

kissmysass

New

Post by kissmysass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:40 am

Welcome incoming 2Ls!

I’m a rising 3L transfer, and I’d like to invite everyone interested in working on a journal this year to consider joining the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology (JOLT).

Why join JOLT?
[*] JOLT is the highest ranked specialty law journal in the country, and we’re second only in rankings to the Harvard Law Review amongst all publications on campus.
[*] JOLT is not just for those with a science background or an interest in practicing IP law. We publish an array of topics ranging from cyberlaw, patent, copyright, trademark, antitrust, privacy, telecommunications, energy, and much more. For example, our most recent issue featured articles on cybersecurity, the America Invents Act, and copyright in photography. Of course, having JOLT on your resume makes a difference when talking to employers, especially in IP.
[*] JOLT is also a lot of fun! More than just a journal, JOLT is also a community. We put on speaker events and an IP career fair during the year, and we also host many social activities for members ranging from happy hours to study breaks to house parties.

There are many ways to get involved with JOLT, including working in our various functions such as editing, submissions, student writing, or programming. Specifically, we’ve reserved a few openings for transfer students in our more substantive roles in editing and submissions. Please read below for more information on how to apply. We will aim to have our selection decisions made before EIP begins so that you can update your resumes to reflect any new roles you may be taking on within the journal. If you have any questions about JOLT, please feel free to contact me at jolt.exec.editor@gmail.com.

LINE EDITORS

Line Editors manage a team of subciters and are in charge of the technical and substantive editing for a section of an article or student note. The major time commitments for a Line Editor include the periods of source pull, subcite, and technical edits. Line editing is a prerequisite for senior masthead positions such as Editor-in-Chief or Executive Editor.

Please fill out the Line Editor application form by Friday, August 3rd at 11:59 PM (EST). The application can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... b0pJY0E6MQ.

A short Bluebook test will be e-mailed to all applicants on Saturday, August 5th by 2pm (EST). This test should take no more than 2-3 hours maximum and is due on Tuesday, August 7th, at 11:59PM (EST).

Please e-mail Amy Rossignol, our Technical Editor, at jolt.tech.editor@gmail.com if you have any questions about the role or application process.

SUBMISSIONS MANAGERS

Because JOLT is the top-ranked specialty law journal in the country, we receive hundreds of article submissions each year, on everything from patents to cybersecurity to stem cells. The Submissions staff comb through those articles, searching for scholarship that is original, interesting, well-written, and timely, and select the articles that will be published in the next volume of JOLT.

If this is of interest to you, consider applying to be a Submissions Manager. Submissions Managers assist the Submissions Editor in deciding which articles to publish. Please note that in order to be an SM you'll need to be available to start reviewing articles ASAP. August is a rush month for us and we want you to be a part of it!

Why Submissions is great
[*] Read about areas of the law that interest you. If you're reading this, you're probably already interested in law and technology - but the 1L curriculum doesn't give you much of a chance to explore patents, copyright, cyberlaw or cleantech. Through Submissions, we do!
[*] Learn about legal scholarship/publishing. If you're interested in pursuing a career in legal academia, you'll have to publish in student-run journals. We'll show you how the process works, and why some articles get published while others aren't even read.
[*] Join a community of tech geeks. Submissions people are all super passionate about the intersection of law and technology. We like to talk about it -- especially over food.
[*] Submissions Manager is a masthead position.

If this sounds interesting to you, send your resume, transcript, and a quick blurb indicating your main interest areas to Heather Whitney, our Submissions Editor, at jolt.submissions@gmail.com. You will receive the Submissions Review Guide as well as a recent submission to review. Based on your review and other qualifications, we'll make a decision. If you have any questions about the role or application process, please contact Heather at jolt.submissions@gmail.com.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:28 pm

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:46 am

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey does anyone know how to see what classes are already filled up?

Isn't there supposed to be some special list of classes with spots for transfers?

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Last edited by KindleNexusfan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:07 pm

KindleNexusfan wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Hey does anyone know how to see what classes are already filled up?

Isn't there supposed to be some special list of classes with spots for transfers?
they just emailed us.
Yeah I was referring to that email, I think - I just didn't see anything other than general requirements and the course catalog. I'm sure many of those classes are filled (?)

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”