BU Housing Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
882camden

New

BU Housing

Post by 882camden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Just heard from BU Housing that I am #597 on the waitlist for a room at 580 Commonwealth Ave. which pretty much means I need to look elsewhere.

Anybody in the same boat? I am willing to shell out up to $1500 a month for a nice condo housing if possible. but if not, whatever. How are people solving their housing situations in Boston?

abc12345675

Bronze

Re: BU Housing

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 pm

882camden wrote:Just heard from BU Housing that I am #597 on the waitlist for a room at 580 Commonwealth Ave. which pretty much means I need to look elsewhere.

Anybody in the same boat? I am willing to shell out up to $1500 a month for a nice condo housing if possible. but if not, whatever. How are people solving their housing situations in Boston?
Save money. Live in Alston and take public transit. Many BU students do.

Fiat Lex

New

Post by Fiat Lex » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: living in Allston...

PROS:
- very close to campus, public transit is easy
- lots of undergrads and recent grads in the area
- lots of options for going out (at least as far as bars go, not clubs)
- good Asian food

CONS:
- lots of undergrads and recent grads in the area = loud nights and some obnoxious people
- rents may be cheaper than in other areas but are still generally more expensive than they should be...a lot of crappy places with landlords who just don't care, because they know there's a huge BU crowd they can prey on

If you need public transit and are really willing to shell out $1500/mo, you might want to look further up the green line into the fringes of the Back Bay area; you might be able to find something there.

Also nearish to campus (~15 min walk, though less direct via public transit) is Coolidge Corner in Brookline, a nicer upscale area. Looking westward, Brighton Center is a 15-20 minute ride on the 57 bus away from the law school. CHeaper, although there's not a whole lot going on there.

If you have a car, you might be able to look further out into Brookline, North Allston, or Cambridgeport. I don't know much about the latter two neighborhoods though.

882camden

New

Post by 882camden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a car, and also I am not a big party-monger anymore (getting old!). My older sister is actually in BC Law and she lives in Chestnut Hill, but I want to live very close to campus so I can veggie out in my room as soon as class is over. So I am actually looking closer to the law school - preferrably walking distance - and live a minimalist existence.

Hopefully, two years will fly by and I can become a social butterfly once more and enjoy all the perks of Allston.

photobooth

New

Post by photobooth » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:29 am

882camden wrote:Just heard from BU Housing that I am #597 on the waitlist for a room at 580 Commonwealth Ave. which pretty much means I need to look elsewhere.

I'm #491 on the waitlist for 580 Commonwealth, so I feel your pain. I was hoping to cop out of the apartment hunt by going to 580, but like you, will have to start looking elsewhere. My goal is to live as close to BU as possible -- I want to walk to/from school and am willing to shell out $1300-1400 max. I heard Brookline is nice. Allston/Brighton might be too loud.

Urgh, I dread the hunt, especially from across country... here's to us finding some good housing soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

882camden

New

Post by 882camden » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:57 am

photobooth wrote:

I'm #491 on the waitlist for 580 Commonwealth, so I feel your pain. I was hoping to cop out of the apartment hunt by going to 580, but like you, will have to start looking elsewhere. My goal is to live as close to BU as possible -- I want to walk to/from school and am willing to shell out $1300-1400 max. I heard Brookline is nice. Allston/Brighton might be too loud.

Urgh, I dread the hunt, especially from across country... here's to us finding some good housing soon!

Hear. Hear. I am relying on my sister on getting a home while I am in Philly. But apparently this is the peak season for realtors so it has been pretty rough getting an adequate housing. going alston/brighton/brookline... wherever i can chill after class.

mdfreeman

New

Post by mdfreeman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:17 pm

882camden wrote:
photobooth wrote:

Hear. Hear. I am relying on my sister on getting a home while I am in Philly. But apparently this is the peak season for realtors so it has been pretty rough getting an adequate housing. going alston/brighton/brookline... wherever i can chill after class.

Currently live in Alston, can basically walk to BU every day if I want. My advice, walk around on a Friday night and see what streets are quiet. Some plceas in Alston are really mellow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”