GW Transfer student Looking for a Roommate!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DuckEUG2010

GW Transfer student Looking for a Roommate!

Postby DuckEUG2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

Hey all, I just received my acceptance email on 7/6. For those of you who are waiting on an acceptance, here are my stats:

Tier 4, 15/299; application received 6/13 and completed on 6/30

For those of you who are admitted, I just got back from DC and found housing to be ridiculous. I drove all over town and even if you go out of town a bit, the metro pass is $230/ month. I have found the best option for both price and a location that is still walking distance to campus is Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. They have 2-5 bedroom places on craigslist that are in the $1000-1300 range with utilities included. If anyone is interested in finding a roommate, message me and we'll see if we are a fit. A little about me...

I'm a 27 year old guy transferring from a school in San Diego, CA. I have a gf, we've been together for a year, but she will be living in San Diego until 2013. I'm here to have a good time sure, but my goal is to write-on to a journal and kill it this first year (err 2L year) so there will be not much going out other than the occasional networking event or 1-2 times a month walk to grab a cocktail and blow off some steam. I love to workout, play golf, and my goals after graduation are to work in a venture capital firm or Big law. If you're interested in a roommate, or just have questions about the area, send me a message!!

Nick Hooyman

BEAST_mode

Re: GW Transfer student Looking for a Roommate!

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm

DuckEUG2010 wrote:Hey all, I just received my acceptance email on 7/6. For those of you who are waiting on an acceptance, here are my stats:

Tier 4, 15/299; application received 6/13 and completed on 6/30

For those of you who are admitted, I just got back from DC and found housing to be ridiculous. I drove all over town and even if you go out of town a bit, the metro pass is $230/ month. I have found the best option for both price and a location that is still walking distance to campus is Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. They have 2-5 bedroom places on craigslist that are in the $1000-1300 range with utilities included. If anyone is interested in finding a roommate, message me and we'll see if we are a fit. A little about me...

I'm a 27 year old guy transferring from a school in San Diego, CA. I have a gf, we've been together for a year, but she will be living in San Diego until 2013. I'm here to have a good time sure, but my goal is to write-on to a journal and kill it this first year (err 2L year) so there will be not much going out other than the occasional networking event or 1-2 times a month walk to grab a cocktail and blow off some steam. I love to workout, play golf, and my goals after graduation are to work in a venture capital firm or Big law. If you're interested in a roommate, or just have questions about the area, send me a message!!

Nick Hooyman

I think you're underestimating this walk. You should be looking at places in NOVA if you haven't already. I know plenty of GW students in Rosslyn/Clarendon/Ballston/Court House area on the Orange Line. Prices will be better, but it's still a disaster. You're financial aid will account for this, though. Also, assuming you buy a smartcard, your metro estimate seems too high. Good luck with the hunt!

DuckEUG2010

Postby DuckEUG2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Dupont Circle is 19th and P St. GW Law building is 20th and G St.....?? The metro just upped their rates as of July 1 this year. I talked to a lady in the admissions office and their student rates for the metro were abolished as of that date :(

DJ5

Postby DJ5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm

That's on one-off tickets. Get a SmartTrip card, same rates as before.

Also, going to be living in Rosslyn, there are some good deals to be found.

JLima2

Postby JLima2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm

From DuPont Circle itself, literally the rotunda, it's about a 15 min (.8mi) walk to the law building. Doable, but you should consider the sheer evils of such a walk in the winter. I'm from Florida, anything below 70 kills my soul. Of course, most are not so delicate. Haha.

As for the metro, you don't need to buy a one-month pass at all, especially if you say you plan on staying in and studying. Using a SmarTrip, it works like a declining balance. You put on $50, and it could last a week if you travel a lot, or a month if you hardly leave the house.

A monthly pass only seems efficient if you metro so much, the discounted SmartTrip rates for your travel are larger than $230.

I'd say get the SmarTrip, load it up with $50, and see how long it lasts you. If you feel like you're burning through it too quickly, then a monthly pass might be the best bet.

Return to “Transfers”