UT to UMD - Advice Needed! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gatorbait

New

UT to UMD - Advice Needed!

Post by gatorbait » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, but wanted people's advice. Went to the University of Tennessee for my 1L year and got into the University of Maryland as a transfer. I'm from Maryland and more of my family is there, so I'd be in-state at UMD and was out of state at UTK. I love it in Tennessee and am extremely comfortable here, but UT is kinda plummeting in the rankings. So there's obviously (1) saving tuition money and (2) ranking upgrade as the main 2 considerations. I'm also interested in health care law and Maryland is great for that if I understand correctly.

I'd rather work in Baltimore than in Knoxville, but I think I'd rather be somewhere in North Carolina rather than both of those locations. Say I wanted to work in Charlotte after school...what would you do? I'd be fine working in Baltimore or DC, but say I wanted to make it to North Carolina. Go or stay? Thanks

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UT to UMD - Advice Needed!

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 am

Class rank ? Law review ? Did you apply to UNC ?

ThegeneralLee

New

Post by ThegeneralLee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 am

I think generally all you are going to hear on here is anywhere lower than t14, you need to study where you want to practice. That being said...how were your grade at UTK? Did you have any summer work? Make any connection? The job placement for this year obviously aren't out but how was the market around you? It would seem foolish to leave any solid connections you made in Tennessee unless you just really can't stand it there and really want to go home.

No one can say that North Carolina is out but I think it would be tough to break into that market from either of these schools without some serious connections.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

1) Literally no one who matters (people who hire) give a shit that UMD is ranked higher than UT.

2) Specialty programs are worthless

3) It's going to be difficult if not impossible to get a job in CLT without previous ties or going to a Carolina school

4) It's interesting that you want to do healthcare law and want to practice in CLT when Nashville is basically the healthcare capital of America right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”