UC Hastings or USD

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

UC Hastings or USD

Postby jschille » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Hello All,

Was recently accepted to both schools as a transfer. Born and raised in SD, but definitely would not mind moving to San Fran if it opens up job prospects for me and to experience the "city life".

Ideally, would like to end up in San Diego to practice law, but again, am just looking for the best possible job. Would also jump at the opportunity to practice big law...

Thank you for the help.

Re: UC Hastings or USD

Postby ochador » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:21 pm

I attend USD, and it is a great school. If you plan to practice in San Diego, then USD should be your first choice. One of the most important things that I have learned from professors and practicing attorneys (through internships/networking) is that attending a school in the area where you intend to practice is typically the best choice. Your classmates will be your colleagues when you enter into practice, so it is important to establish those relationships early on.

Nevertheless, San Diego is a VERY small legal market. The professors at USD urge students to consider employment outside of San Diego following graduation. UC Hastings is a great and highly respected school in the Bay Area, where the employment prospects are far more promising than San Diego. Based on economic realities and career prospects, I would choose Hastings without hesitation.

Return to “Transfers”