Another transfer or not thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cranberryz

New

Another transfer or not thread

Post by Cranberryz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi guys,

Longtime lurker - it is an honor to finally receive advice! I'll cut to the chase.

I finished top 5% at UC Davis and am considering transferring to UCLA if I get in (fingers crossed). I have compelling personal reasons to want to move down to Los Angeles, and I definitely want to work in Los Angeles if it's a possibility.

I didn't do the write on for law review so that's not something I'd be sacrificing. I never really spoke with my professors, though I'm on friendly terms with all of them, and I haven't developed any other professional contacts or anything else at school. On a professional/school level the only thing I can think of that I'd really be giving up is my rank and the potential of graduating with something like order of the coif.

I want to do big law, and while I'd very strongly prefer big law in Los Angeles, I'd rather be employed anywhere than fruitlessly beating the streets of LA. I really like Davis, but if transferring to UCLA is more likely to help me than hurt me given my desires and situation, I'd likely make the move if I got in. I'm just hoping you guys can cast some light on whether it in fact is more likely to help me.

Thanks a lot everyone, I really do admire the TLS community.

P.S. No pending applications anywhere else, in case someone thinks to ask.

Lasers

Gold

Re: Another transfer or not thread

Post by Lasers » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Cranberryz wrote:Hi guys,

Longtime lurker - it is an honor to finally receive advice! I'll cut to the chase.

I finished top 5% at UC Davis and am considering transferring to UCLA if I get in (fingers crossed). I have compelling personal reasons to want to move down to Los Angeles, and I definitely want to work in Los Angeles if it's a possibility.

I didn't do the write on for law review so that's not something I'd be sacrificing. I never really spoke with my professors, though I'm on friendly terms with all of them, and I haven't developed any other professional contacts or anything else at school. On a professional/school level the only thing I can think of that I'd really be giving up is my rank and the potential of graduating with something like order of the coif.

I want to do big law, and while I'd very strongly prefer big law in Los Angeles, I'd rather be employed anywhere than fruitlessly beating the streets of LA. I really like Davis, but if transferring to UCLA is more likely to help me than hurt me given my desires and situation, I'd likely make the move if I got in. I'm just hoping you guys can cast some light on whether it in fact is more likely to help me.

Thanks a lot everyone, I really do admire the TLS community.

P.S. No pending applications anywhere else, in case someone thinks to ask.
i would have applied to berkeley, but i guess that's too late (and you also seem to want LA). if you are deadset on LA, i can't see why transferring isn't a good idea (besides possibly financial reasons).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”