Minnesota vs. George Washington

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blackstar786

Minnesota vs. George Washington

Postby blackstar786 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm from Minnesota, and would like to work in DC for a while before maybe moving back to Minnesota to settle.

Since I'm transferring, I'd be paying sticker at both. I have an interest in human rights law, government, and a few other public interest fields; but I'm also open to firm jobs (mainly to pay back loans).

Is the difference in tuition and cost of living between Minnesota and GW/DC worth going to GW to pursue my interests and desire to be in DC?

Both schools are similarly ranked (Minn. 19, GW 20). Some friends of mine who graduated from Minnesota often complain about how Minnesota is much more of a regional school than the rankings might suggest. Can the same be said for GW? Is it difficult to get jobs with a JD from GW, outside of DC (it's hard enough in DC)?

opX

Re: Minnesota vs. George Washington

Postby opX » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 pm

cant speak for Minnesota, but I know that a GW degree is a least respected by Big Law people in Chicago and NYC. I am not saying everyone will hire you - just that they respect the degree.

IMO, if u were sure u wanted to stay in Minnesota for the rest of ur life, I would stay in Minnesota.

Good luck

blackstar786

Postby blackstar786 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. Just heard that I got into a secondary journal at Minnesota. I did not get into GW early enough to petition. Should this make a difference in decision? Also, can you write-on as a 3L at GW?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Do you have in-state tuition at UMN? I imagine you probably could get in-state next year even if not the first year, which means you'll be saving some money that way. I think if you eventually want to end up in MN, University of of Minnesota is the better choice for you here. You can still potentially target something in DC (not saying its likely, but prospects from GW aren't going to be exactly rosy either), and if part of why you want DC is for politics I think you may actually have an easier time getting there from UMN if you target MN representative's offices. UMN is a great law school--it is fairly regional in terms of placement, but I think it is respected nationally as a strong law school, and if you want to end up in MN eventually I would go there. But if you think you would be genuinely happier at GW for the next couple years or you decide you really don't want to go back to MN then GW could be a good choice.

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 am

blackstar786 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Just heard that I got into a secondary journal at Minnesota. I did not get into GW early enough to petition. Should this make a difference in decision? Also, can you write-on as a 3L at GW?

GW journals require 5 semesters of participation (2l summer work included), so no, you cannot write-on as a 3L. Getting on a journal will help your employment prospects, especially if you do a clerkship afterwards.

Return to “Transfers”