GULC or BU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Any thoughts?

BU
28%
GULC
72%

Total votes: 18

zaqwsx

New

GULC or BU

Post by zaqwsx » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 pm

So I'm currently at a T80 (top 12%), submitted some apps, and miraculously got into the aforementioned schools (as well as GW and BC, but BU and GULC are my top 2 choices). I'm set on leaving my school, but I just can't decide where.

I'm originally from New England and I'm mostly sure I want to end up there, but I also might want to be in New York, so a more "portable" degree, like one from GULC, is really important to me--not to mention that it's higher ranked and I'd have a T14 degree for the rest of my career (whatever that's worth).

On the other hand I did my UG at BU and I really like it there and have a lot of friends and family in the area--not true of D.C.

Also, the large size of GULC is kind of a turnoff for me--though I've never visited.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it. I have a feeling I can't make a "mistake," but I just wanna know that I'm not a blockhead for even considering turning down a T14 degree for BU.
Last edited by zaqwsx on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aca0260

Bronze

Re: GULC or BU

Post by aca0260 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm

One thing I'll say is that BU and BC are some of the new non t14's where non-IP transfers have snagged jobs at OCI. This is all based on reading past transfer OCI threads etc. Congrats on your many choices.

mdfreeman

New

Re: GULC or BU

Post by mdfreeman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm

aca0260 wrote:One thing I'll say is that BU and BC are some of the new non t14's where non-IP transfers have snagged jobs at OCI. This is all based on reading past transfer OCI threads etc. Congrats on your many choices.
This is somewhat true. I'm currently at BU and while we don't do great at OCI, a solid 15-20% of our class still makes biglaw which is more than can be said for some comparatively ranked schools.

That said, given a choice between the two, I'd take GULC everyday. Prestige and the name alone make it a better school. If you want to work in NYC and aren't super tied to New England, go to GULC. Transferring to BU at this stage might be a little chance-y.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”