Harvard 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
pballer wrote:Any decision would be nice to reduce anxiety, but perhaps a few more acceptances before ding-ageddon?


Given how many calls and emails have gone out, I don't see how there can be more than a few spots left. But, if that's the case, why wouldn't they have just packed those in with the email wave? I'm not optimistic there will be any more acceptances, except possibly after the deposit deadline.


Maybe because everyone else was a clear, or at least fairly clear admit. Now, they have a few spots left and will compare some of the people for those few spots and look for some quality they would like to have. Then, they'll deny the rest. That's my hypothesis.


I don't want to turn this into a credential competition. But some of them are not that "wtf" admits as you say.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 am

I have a friend who transferred from a schools on the T1-TT border a few years ago and he was rejected from everywhere accept Yale. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am

lockiller wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
pballer wrote:Any decision would be nice to reduce anxiety, but perhaps a few more acceptances before ding-ageddon?


Given how many calls and emails have gone out, I don't see how there can be more than a few spots left. But, if that's the case, why wouldn't they have just packed those in with the email wave? I'm not optimistic there will be any more acceptances, except possibly after the deposit deadline.


Maybe because everyone else was a clear, or at least fairly clear admit. Now, they have a few spots left and will compare some of the people for those few spots and look for some quality they would like to have. Then, they'll deny the rest. That's my hypothesis.


I don't want to turn this into a credential competition. But some of them are not that "wtf" admits as you say.


Yeah, I agree. The lower-ranked school students may have some outstanding achievements that we just don't know about. Good for them. I'm hoping to get lucky.

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
Maybe because everyone else was a clear, or at least fairly clear admit. Now, they have a few spots left and will compare some of the people for those few spots and look for some quality they would like to have. Then, they'll deny the rest. That's my hypothesis.


There were a couple "WTF?" admits (I'm sure there all nice people, and I congratulate them, but the numbers are what they are), but you're probably right. As I said yesterday, if there really were no spots left, they'd just ding everybody now. I suppose another possibility is that they are winnowing down a list of people to wait for after the seat deposit, and once they have that figured out, they'll ding everybody. But either way, it's not quite over yet.


Yeah, hopefully Y and S admit plenty of the H admits. I'm sure some of the "wtf" admits have some kind of connection or have done something extraordinary. We'll be considered at some point and maybe it'll be a tossup, but there's some chance.


If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I agree. The lower-ranked school students may have some outstanding achievements that we just don't know about. Good for them. I'm hoping to get lucky.


Yeah to be very clear, I didn't mean to suggest that they were undeserving of admission, just that - as I am sure they would admit - their raw numbers did not make them obvious front runners.

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:37 am

FlanSolo wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I agree. The lower-ranked school students may have some outstanding achievements that we just don't know about. Good for them. I'm hoping to get lucky.


Yeah to be very clear, I didn't mean to suggest that they were undeserving of admission, just that - as I am sure they would admit - their raw numbers did not make them obvious front runners.


Agree.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

lockiller wrote:If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.


huh?

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby pballer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
lockiller wrote:If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.


huh?


+1

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
lockiller wrote:If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.


huh?

Yeah this was some kind of continental philosophy that is either overly sane or just plain silly.

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am

mileslibertatis wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
lockiller wrote:If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.


huh?

Yeah this was some kind of continental philosophy that is either overly sane or just plain silly.


Neither. Simple logic. Wrong choice of word, "expect" -- "hope".

Lyonsoccer87
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 am

lockiller wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
lockiller wrote:If you feel that you will be perfectly okay with any Top 3 school, it doesn't matter whether there is cross-admission. After all, everyone can only attend one school, and YHS will always have about 60 transfers in total. In fact, if you consider that Y and S might not care that much about optimizing the number of transfers, we might expect that there are no cross-admits.


huh?

Yeah this was some kind of continental philosophy that is either overly sane or just plain silly.


Neither. Simple logic.


I didn't apply to harvard because I can't understand any of the above shit.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

It's clearly beyond the rest of us, as well.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am

I guess I get what you're saying -- it's better if they admit 60 unique applicants because it increases our chances of getting one of them -- but I don't get why you think this would actually happen. The anecdote above aside, I'm pretty sure the 95% of the Y admits will also be in at H.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am

I've seen it said on these here boards that most Y admits are other T10s who either got in to Yale the first time or would have?

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:I guess I get what you're saying -- it's better if they admit 60 unique applicants because it increases our chances of getting one of them -- but I don't get why you think this would actually happen. The anecdote above aside, I'm pretty sure the 95% of the Y admits will also be in at H.


That's what I meant. Wrong choice of words in certain places. I do not think this would actually happen. I am just responding to the guy who hopes to have plenty cross-admits.

nadopretz
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby nadopretz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:34 pm

For those who have been accepted elsewhere but are still waiting on Harvard, have you notified them of your other acceptances and their deadlines? I have a week and a half left on my ticker for NYU, and figure it is probably pretty stupid/useless to tell them about it, but wanted to see if anyone else had. I imagine they only care if you are accepted at Yale or Stanford, and may not actually even care then.

in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby in_reverie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Because it got us movement last time...

Skyblaze wrote:Five O'clock in Cambridge and all is well.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 pm

A "leaving the office but wanted to call and congratulate you" call would be nice!

Skyblaze
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby Skyblaze » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

in_reverie wrote:Because it got us movement last time...

Skyblaze wrote:Five O'clock in Cambridge and all is well.


Shh! Don't tempt fate, you'll hasten the dingpocolypse!

Also, I don't think I ever listed my stats on this thread. Top 5% at T30.

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:28 pm

In your eyes, for Harvard transfer purposes and putting softs aside, which set of stats is better:
Top 2.5% at T18-20, or Top 15% at T8-10?

ksense
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby ksense » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Seems like the first group is better. Top 5-10% at a T8-10 would be a much closer call.

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby pballer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

I'd agree with that assessment

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Are you guys paying attention? The second group is dominating so far this cycle.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 pm

... why?

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Harvard 2012

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:01 pm

They believe it's more impressive to beat 90% of T10 kids than to beat 99% of T20 kids.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.