transfer query

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolisfun2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 am

transfer query

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 am

Got into UCLA, waiting on Berkeley, USC, and UW.

I'm at SeattleU. Top 2%, engineering (not EE) background with WE (3+ years), interview well, law review, and president of a prominent club on campus. My scholarship was drastically increased. I love Seattle with a passion, and want to practice here. Market BLOWS, but I know at least 20 patent attorneys (partners at Big firms) in Seattle. Probably would have a good shot at patent litigation because prosecution peps wants EE/CS or PhDs. I have some connections in LA, but not much.

Go to UCLA? need to reply by the 6th? Wait out Berkeley?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: transfer query

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:43 pm

You still have time. Wait a few days to see if any more decisions are rendered. Congratulations !

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: transfer query

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Sometime next week you need to contact one or both of the schools to let them know about the situation. July 4 is in the middle of the week, and there is a good possibility that admissions people may be on vacation and not sending out decisions next week. Just guessing, but it's a possibility.

I would probably write to UCLA on Monday to ask for an extension. Let them know that you would like to weigh all of your options together before making a decision, and that would probably require additional time. And if they gave me a number to call in their admissions office, I might call first to get a feel for whether they normally grant this type of extension.

You should check on when B normally begins issuing decisions and ask for a week or two beyond that. You also want to consider letting B know of your deadline. This is a double-edged sword, because I'm sure they have plenty of qualified applicants, and it would obviously be much more in your favor if the school you were waiting on was not ranked higher.

Good luck and congrats.

lawschoolisfun2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 am

Re: transfer query

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Thank you guys. UCLA said I can extend the deadline, what is a fair extension time?

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: transfer query

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I don't suppose you know when you are expecting decisions from other schools?

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: transfer query

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:57 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:Thank you guys. UCLA said I can extend the deadline, what is a fair extension time?



As long as possible lol.. Maybe give a date 3 weeks out? That might be pushing it, but if you are waiting on schools a lot of them don't seem to decide until mid-July I think. I think asking for 2 weeks would be cool with them, asking for three weeks might be a stretch, but if you name a day around 3 weeks out I bet that could work (e.g. "July 16th").

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: transfer query

Postby run26.2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 am

Lawquacious wrote:
lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:Thank you guys. UCLA said I can extend the deadline, what is a fair extension time?



As long as possible lol.. Maybe give a date 3 weeks out? That might be pushing it, but if you are waiting on schools a lot of them don't seem to decide until mid-July I think. I think asking for 2 weeks would be cool with them, asking for three weeks might be a stretch, but if you name a day around 3 weeks out I bet that could work (e.g. "July 16th").

I agree with this. Good that you got an extension. If you get 3 weeks, about 2 weeks before the deadline, I'd reach out to B. Say that you have other acceptances you are considering (don't be specific) but you want to make sure you have all your options before you decide. Say you are looking forward to hearing from B because they are among your top choices. That way they know you have an impending deadline, but you're not forcing their hand.

lawschoolisfun2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 am

Re: transfer query

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:25 am

I emailed a few students at UCLA. The market is not good their either. Only about 10% are getting big law jobs. I am leaning towards staying?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.