Georgetown Seat Deposit- Is it binding?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SammyJ

Georgetown Seat Deposit- Is it binding?

Postby SammyJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I was accepted EA and paid both seat deposits. I haven't received any information on whether it is binding or not. Now, I am looking to pull out. Am I screwed? Thanks, in advance, for the information!

opX

Re: Georgetown Seat Deposit- Is it binding?

Postby opX » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

initial answer is no, it is not binding.

UNLESS you signed something that made it binding.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Hmmmm. Makes sense. With the second deposit, we had to fill out a form with a box that said, "I plan to enroll in the Juris Doctor program at Georgetown University Law Center beginning in Fall 2012. Enclosed is a check or money order for $800 made payable to Georgetown University Law Center." I am guessing that this language does not make the seat deposit binding.. Am I right? Moreover, they stress that the second tuition deposit is non-refundable. Seems to me that if the seat deposit was binding, it wouldn't be necessary for them to say that.

Thanks a lot for your help.

opX

Postby opX » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm

some students got an offer to waive the deposit option, and contract themselves to go to Georgetown; and they would notify all other schools that you committed to georgetown..

considering that, I think that the seat deposit is not a contract to attend.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm

opX wrote:some students got an offer to waive the deposit option, and contract themselves to go to Georgetown; and they would notify all other schools that you committed to georgetown..

That's some pretty good info. Thanks alot.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 pm

opX wrote:some students got an offer to waive the deposit option, and contract themselves to go to Georgetown; and they would notify all other schools that you committed to georgetown..

No a seat deposit is not a contract to attend like an EA application.
Seems like Georgetown may be afraid to let admittees go back to other schools. They must be tired of other schools upping their offers. It has been happening at almost every school. A person calls up to withdraw and the scholarship offer gets increased. Note: I don't advocate withdrawing as a bargaining strategy. But it never hurts to call and say you've been admitted elsewhere and see if they will increase your scholarship.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm

I mean, it's kind of binding in that you lose all the money.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:25 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I mean, it's kind of binding in that you lose all the money.

Well, that is non-refundable. I meant it doesn't bind you to attend Georgetown this year.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I mean, it's kind of binding in that you lose all the money.

True that.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Even if it is "binding," it's not like they're going to sue you for a semester's worth of tuition.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 pm

ggocat wrote:Even if it is "binding," it's not like they're going to sue you for a semester's worth of tuition.

No, but with a EA, you have to go to that school or not at all that year. Seat deposits are not like that. They don't prevent you from going to another school. You do lose your deposit though.

Return to “Transfers”