Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tortfeasor87
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby tortfeasor87 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 am

I keep seeing people referencing connections to Philly or residence in Pennsylvania (or lack thereof). Are we simply discussing trying to appeal to the school or do some people think that Penn is a public university for which residency would matter when its actually private?

User avatar
Certiorari
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Certiorari » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 am

tortfeasor87 wrote:I keep seeing people referencing connections to Philly or residence in Pennsylvania (or lack thereof). Are we simply discussing trying to appeal to the school or do some people think that Penn is a public university for which residency would matter when its actually private?


I don't think anyone here is of the mistaken belief that Penn is public and not private. Maybe some people out there who are unfamiliar with the school might thing it's public because of the name (like University of California or University of Utah or University of Oregon), but I'd hope that anyone who's applying at least knows that it's a private Ivy League school, not to be confused with Penn State.

I would think most people who have brought up ties to PA probably mentioned said ties in their applications. Showing a tie to the area could appeal to the admissions board for several reasons. First, it makes you stand out a bit, and it shows that there were more considerations in applying to the school than just shooting out applications to all the T14 schools. Second, it may show that the applicant may stay in or near the area and have a loyalty to the school, which is great for alumni networking, fundraising, guest speakers, etc. Someone who has ties to the area may be more likely to stick around, or at least be involved with the school after graduation. Third, I think there is something to be said for just being a local. It's intangible, but I'd imagine there's a chance that it could be at least a little bit of a factor, even if subconsciously.

Those are my thoughts, at least. Here's hoping for some movement today for all of those who haven't heard back from Penn yet!

tortfeasor87
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby tortfeasor87 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:51 am

Certiorari wrote:
tortfeasor87 wrote:I keep seeing people referencing connections to Philly or residence in Pennsylvania (or lack thereof). Are we simply discussing trying to appeal to the school or do some people think that Penn is a public university for which residency would matter when its actually private?


I don't think anyone here is of the mistaken belief that Penn is public and not private. Maybe some people out there who are unfamiliar with the school might thing it's public because of the name (like University of California or University of Utah or University of Oregon), but I'd hope that anyone who's applying at least knows that it's a private Ivy League school, not to be confused with Penn State.

I would think most people who have brought up ties to PA probably mentioned said ties in their applications. Showing a tie to the area could appeal to the admissions board for several reasons. First, it makes you stand out a bit, and it shows that there were more considerations in applying to the school than just shooting out applications to all the T14 schools. Second, it may show that the applicant may stay in or near the area and have a loyalty to the school, which is great for alumni networking, fundraising, guest speakers, etc. Someone who has ties to the area may be more likely to stick around, or at least be involved with the school after graduation. Third, I think there is something to be said for just being a local. It's intangible, but I'd imagine there's a chance that it could be at least a little bit of a factor, even if subconsciously.

Those are my thoughts, at least. Here's hoping for some movement today for all of those who haven't heard back from Penn yet!


There were a few posts a while back that seem to predicate significance to such ties as being more than just simply a boost for an adcom to say "neato," which indicates that some may think residency matters. All its good for is to mention in a PS as reason for applying, but to think Penn gives it any weight at all is a stretch. Plus I went to Penn undergrad and like any other Ivy, loyalty and support is never an issue for our alumni, no matter where they are from or where they end up.

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:25 am

tortfeasor87 wrote:There were a few posts a while back that seem to predicate significance to such ties as being more than just simply a boost for an adcom to say "neato," which indicates that some may think residency matters. All its good for is to mention in a PS as reason for applying, but to think Penn gives it any weight at all is a stretch. Plus I went to Penn undergrad and like any other Ivy, loyalty and support is never an issue for our alumni, no matter where they are from or where they end up.


I simply, and respectfully, disagree. Common TLS wisdom is that Penn admissions really gives some weight to people who want to be in Philly. Ties are a great way of demonstrating that.

And it just makes sense. Ties simply give another reason, sure, but law schools really do give some consideration to all of your reasons. A candidate who says "listen, I really want to be at Penn, not only because it's highly ranked but because it's in a city that I actually know and love" is just a deeper, more well-rounded candidate that one who says "I want to be at Penn, or any school of equal or higher ranking." It also makes it much more likely that, if you are accepted, you will attend, which is definitely something the school wants.

I mean, I was top 8% at a T40 and was accepted within 24 hours of my application being complete. I don't think I was an auto-admit based solely on my numbers.

harmonep14
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby harmonep14 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Ding. T80-90, top 1%. No ties to Philly.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Dingaling, T2(50s), 7/250.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Decisions at last....

Sorry for the dingaling.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm

No worries, I expected it. So you're like 75-25 (Penn-NYU) right now?

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 pm

More like 95-5, lol. If Columbia or Chicago jumps in, that will bring us back to the 50-50 mark, I think.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Rejected by Penn. LOL! I wish I could call and laugh.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Is this the FIRST thing you've heard??

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Rejected by Penn. LOL! I wish I could call and laugh.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

tortfeasor87
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby tortfeasor87 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm

JoeFish wrote:
tortfeasor87 wrote:There were a few posts a while back that seem to predicate significance to such ties as being more than just simply a boost for an adcom to say "neato," which indicates that some may think residency matters. All its good for is to mention in a PS as reason for applying, but to think Penn gives it any weight at all is a stretch. Plus I went to Penn undergrad and like any other Ivy, loyalty and support is never an issue for our alumni, no matter where they are from or where they end up.


I simply, and respectfully, disagree. Common TLS wisdom is that Penn admissions really gives some weight to people who want to be in Philly. Ties are a great way of demonstrating that.

And it just makes sense. Ties simply give another reason, sure, but law schools really do give some consideration to all of your reasons. A candidate who says "listen, I really want to be at Penn, not only because it's highly ranked but because it's in a city that I actually know and love" is just a deeper, more well-rounded candidate that one who says "I want to be at Penn, or any school of equal or higher ranking." It also makes it much more likely that, if you are accepted, you will attend, which is definitely something the school wants.

I mean, I was top 8% at a T40 and was accepted within 24 hours of my application being complete. I don't think I was an auto-admit based solely on my numbers.


I see your point and I agree with the fact that a tie can help support a personal statement and an application if the applicant is otherwise qualified. However, there is no additional boost simply being from PA or Philly unless a candidate can effectively elaborate why such a tie is important and how it relates to their education and career aspirations. That said, I do think its helpful for certain schools compared to others. Clearly, this wouldn't be necessary at a state school because a metric exists to incorporate your tie because of tuition and state quotas (ex. UNC) and it would only work at certain private schools. I think it would be helpful in a personal statement for Philly natives and Penn or Raleigh/Durhamites and Duke, but it wouldn't be necessarily helpful at NYU, Columbia or Fordham for NYC residents, Georgetown/GWU for DC/VA residents or even at BU/BC for Boston residents. Yales does not care if you hope to return to New Haven to find work in the Hartford/New Haven area. I will concede that I am wrong in saying no weight is given, but it does require that an applicant show that this connection matters to them in order for it to matter to a school like Penn. Either way congratulations on your acceptance. I saw someone earlier write something about a poster being a shoe in because they were from PA. Normally I don't care when people mix us up but with recent events I am trying to distance myself from Penn State, especially as about twenty people in the last five days have asked me how I feel about my alma mater's football program and Joe Paterno's legacy......

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Is this the FIRST thing you've heard??


Yep! Lol I'm winning around here.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Of course you have to make the regional tie relevant. You can't just say, "I lived in that city for a while and it was alright." My PS for Penn said how Philadelphia was always "the city" when I was growing up and how I would love to be there, etc.

Also, I get intensely upset whenever someone confuses Penn State with U Penn. Penn State is a decent state school known for its athletics in the middle of nowhere. University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy league school in the heart of the founding of the Republic, founded by Benjamin Franklin.

User avatar
Certiorari
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Certiorari » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

tortfeasor87 wrote:I see your point and I agree with the fact that a tie can help support a personal statement and an application if the applicant is otherwise qualified. However, there is no additional boost simply being from PA or Philly unless a candidate can effectively elaborate why such a tie is important and how it relates to their education and career aspirations.


Well put. I think this is pretty much what JoeFish and I were trying to say, but you did a much better job of saying it. Yeah, being from Philly/PA isn't going to give you the automatic boost that being from Austin/TX would if you were applying to UT Austin. UT has to take a certain percentage of TX candidates; Penn could offer admissions to absolutely no one from PA if they so desired. I think you're right that the tie to the area isn't what matters; what makes a difference is that having a tie to the area can help lead to the crafting of a more persuasive and multi-faceted personal statement. And yeah, if someone think's they're a shoe-in just because they're from PA, I agree, that's not the case at all.

Oh, and yes, people that confuse Penn State with U Penn bug me, too. I was actually texting with my buddy a few minutes ago, and he asked me "Did you hear back from any other schools, or are you going to be a Nittany Lion?" Once I was able to dig my face out of my palm — seriously, he follows college sports and knows east coast schools — I had to explain that there's a world of difference (no offense to anyone).

User avatar
Certiorari
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Certiorari » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh, and I'm very sorry to hear about the dings to the three of you who just reported them. I hope you get some good new elsewhere soon!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.