Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mileslibertatis

Re: Penn 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 pm

opX wrote:So, looking at Yahoo Groups, the next possible day of admissions is tomorrow.
Then theres the July 13-15 time frame. This year and last year looks like that acceptances are done via phone call with a follow up letter.

Cheers to hoping.

"Possible day of admissions"? What makes a day possible or impossible?

TFR

Postby TFR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:
opX wrote:So, looking at Yahoo Groups, the next possible day of admissions is tomorrow.
Then theres the July 13-15 time frame. This year and last year looks like that acceptances are done via phone call with a follow up letter.

Cheers to hoping.

I think they are on a different schedule this year anyway based on the autoadmits

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:

Cheers to hoping.

Its nothing official at all, just that Yahoo Groups database shows that those dates in years passed have been dates where acceptances have been issues.

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 pm

TFR wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:

Cheers to hoping.

I think they are on a different schedule this year anyway based on the autoadmits

I think all schools are doing that autoadmit thing differently this year. My friend is an autoadmit, and has gotten the same treatment from over 5 t14s.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I transferred to Penn last year and would be more than happy to talk to anyone about it.

TFR

Postby TFR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm

opX wrote:
TFR wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:

Cheers to hoping.

I think all schools are doing that autoadmit thing differently this year. My friend is an autoadmit, and has gotten the same treatment from over 5 t14s.

CLS/NYU? (If you dont mind sharing). Btw, I dont see the point of say NU doing an auto-admit to a guy who is gonna take harvard, and keeping a guy on hold who will attend/depost on NU and then gets Mich or whatever around the same time. Unless they are all working together or something.

TFR

Postby TFR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

ClarDarr wrote:I transferred to Penn last year and would be more than happy to talk to anyone about it.

Are you happy with the transfer? In retrospect, would you have taken another school/previous school over Penn? Any advice on getting in, OCI, etc...?

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm

TFR wrote:CLS/NYU? (If you dont mind sharing). Btw, I dont see the point of say NU doing an auto-admit to a guy who is gonna take harvard, and keeping a guy on hold who will attend/depost on NU and then gets Mich or whatever around the same time. Unless they are all working together or something.

Ironically, the only schools of note that havent autoadmitted my friend yet are CLS/NYU/ and NU (HYS dont count obv).
Im not positive but i think friend has been autoadmited to berkely too

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm

TFR wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:I transferred to Penn last year and would be more than happy to talk to anyone about it.

Are you happy with the transfer? In retrospect, would you have taken another school/previous school over Penn? Any advice on getting in, OCI, etc...?

when and by what method (phone etc) did you get in? what were your stats?

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 pm

TFR wrote:

I'm very happy that i transferred. It was a tough decision for me, but with a super rewarding result. I am glad I chose Penn for sure; I was also admitted at a couple of other schools. While I'm sure I would have loved those schools, Penn has a community vibe that other schools i was looking at strongly lacked.

I simply would not have had anywhere near the number of great opportunities I've had if I had not come to Penn and stayed at my old school. I loved it there, but I was more limited if I stayed.

I don't have any real advice on getting in (that would matter at this stage). As far as OCI, I think the advice that best helped me as a transfer was having a quick and easy explanation of why I transferred (interviewers always asked, but were never critical of the decision) and to be consistently enthusiastic (very underrated).
Last edited by ClarDarr on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:45 pm

opX wrote:
TFR wrote:

I got in on 7/8. I got a complete email two days before that (just checked). I got an email acceptance. My stats were top 2% at a tier 2.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 pm

How did you do academically once there?

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:49 pm

ClarDarr wrote:
opX wrote:
TFR wrote:

I got in on 7/8. I got a complete email two days before that (just checked). I got an email acceptance. My stats were top 2% at a tier 2.

Thanks. and congrats to that.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I am curious as to how your academic performance changed at Penn, if there was a change.

Also, did your T2 school offer you money to stay? I'm at a T2 in the 60s in my hometown and I'm #1 in the class. They have offered me a full scholarship. Any advice on what I should do? I'd hate to be kicking myself if I stayed and didn't get what I wanted.

Edit: Then again, I wouldn't owe $150k. How do you feel about the additional debt you took on? Is it possible to get a scholarship after your 2L year?

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:

I am curious as to how your academic performance changed at Penn, if there was a change.

Also, did your T2 school offer you money to stay? I'm at a T2 in the 60s in my hometown and I'm #1 in the class. They have offered me a full scholarship. Any advice on what I should do? I'd hate to be kicking myself if I stayed and didn't get what I wanted.

Edit: Then again, I wouldn't owe $150k. How do you feel about the additional debt you took on? Is it possible to get a scholarship after your 2L year?

I am not top 2% at Penn, but I'm very content with how I've performed. I didn't find the classes to be exponentially more demanding or difficult. You're #1 in your class, so I think you'll likely do well at OCI at your school if you stay. That said, I would talk to the top students at your current school and see how they did. It's a tough call and I don't hold myself out as an arbiter of good decision making, but I don't regret giving up my high class rank or LR. For me, I thought about it for a long time, talked to as many different professors and students as I could and then made the best decision for what I wanted to end up doing.

My old school offered me an additional 15k to stay, and while that was generous, I would still have graduated from there with a decent amount of debt. I think as far as taking on debt goes, that's a pretty personal call. I was willing to do it if it meant having the opportunities on down the road that I wanted to have. I was not sure my old school could do that.

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 pm

any idea at what time you received your acceptance email?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

My phone rang today with an unknown Philadelphia number. The lady on the phone was calling from Coca Cola and wanted to talk to Vinnie. Vinnie is not my name, and Coca Cola is not a law school.

Good day, sir.

opX

Postby opX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:My phone rang today with an unknown Philadelphia number. The lady on the phone was calling from Coca Cola and wanted to talk to Vinnie. Vinnie is not my name, and Coca Cola is not a law school.

Good day, sir.

not coooooool. sorry man.

ReversedAndRemanded

Postby ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:42 am

opX wrote:any idea at what time you received your acceptance email?

I got mine last year at lunch time. I remember because I yelled in the middle of Quiznos.

But it wasn't til July 18. I got the status checker on June 28, but I don't remember when I went complete (maybe by the 3rd?).

So if anyone has any other Penn questions feel free to post them. :)

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:

I got mine last year at lunch time. I remember because I yelled in the middle of Quiznos.

But it wasn't til July 18. I got the status checker on June 28, but I don't remember when I went complete (maybe by the 3rd?).

Did a lady with a Philadelphia number from Coca Cola call and ask for Vinnie at any point while you were waiting?

ReversedAndRemanded

Postby ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 am

mileslibertatis wrote:
ReversedAndRemanded wrote:

Did a lady with a Philadelphia number from Coca Cola call and ask for Vinnie at any point while you were waiting?

I can't say I remember any such phone call, unfortunately. But I'm from Philadelphia, so every unknown 215 phone call I got over those three weeks (and for some reason, I got a crap load) made me want to jump out of my skin.

TFR

Postby TFR » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Looks like Penn admissions is on an extended weekend.

opX

Postby opX » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 pm

TFR wrote:Looks like Penn admissions is on an extended weekend.

I think so too. I expect decisions (some of them) by next week.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm

What makes you think that? Did you call and get no answer?

opX

Postby opX » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:What makes you think that? Did you call and get no answer?

person on phone said that a lot of them are on vacation this week.

called, last week

Return to “Transfers”