Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tink1

Re: Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012

Postby tink1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

lnllnl wrote:
tink1 wrote:update as of today: transfer class is still full. "We will be in touch on Wednesday, August 29, with a final update."

Might be time to give up and move on with my life.

Fuck, I'm gonna wait it out. I'm already here in DC, what do I care! Though I'll be into my second week by the 29th...

I also will probably wait it out. But I don't have high hopes. Even if a spot magically opens up, they have to individually evaluate everyone still waiting to pick the one person they want to take? Sounds like quite the long shot.
Last edited by tink1 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arigoldwannabe

Postby arigoldwannabe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully they give out my spot quickly for one of you!

Cachinggggg

Postby Cachinggggg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:15 pm

I just received an email (quoted below) and proceeded to withdraw my application. Best of luck to everyone left! Looks like they are going to add on a few people last second. I would highly suggest writing a LOCI/update email as I'm pretty sure this factored into my being at the top of their list.

"Although our transfer class is currently full, it looks very possible that a space or two may, in fact, open up in the next week or so. If this happens, the Committee has a very small group of applications they would like to consider and yours is at the top.

At this late date, they are very interested in admitted people for whom Georgetown is a first choice and who will come if admitted. If you get this email, please reply back as soon as possible to let me know what you’re thinking at this point. If a space opens up, we are hoping to make a decision very soon."

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Cachinggggg wrote:I just received an email (quoted below) and proceeded to withdraw my application. Best of luck to everyone left! Looks like they are going to add on a few people last second. I would highly suggest writing a LOCI/update email as I'm pretty sure this factored into my being at the top of their list.

"Although our transfer class is currently full, it looks very possible that a space or two may, in fact, open up in the next week or so. If this happens, the Committee has a very small group of applications they would like to consider and yours is at the top.

At this late date, they are very interested in admitted people for whom Georgetown is a first choice and who will come if admitted. If you get this email, please reply back as soon as possible to let me know what you’re thinking at this point. If a space opens up, we are hoping to make a decision very soon."

I got the same email. Why did you decide to withdraw? this is the worst decision to have to make. My bro lives in D.C. and i would have jumped ship right away had i been accepted earlier. Anywho, I replied asking whether I could participate in OCI, and financial aid. If i get a chance to participate at all, ill prolly go.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Cachinggggg wrote:I just received an email (quoted below) and proceeded to withdraw my application. Best of luck to everyone left! Looks like they are going to add on a few people last second. I would highly suggest writing a LOCI/update email as I'm pretty sure this factored into my being at the top of their list.

Well fuck, this gives me less hope.

Edit: Frankly, I'm also out of crap to write about and nothing left to send to them. Any suggestions? Feel free to PM. I would be chain-smoking right now with a few beers as I wallow, but alas, I'm stuck at work and just quit smoking this week.

tink1

Postby tink1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm

lnllnl wrote:

Well fuck, this gives me less hope.

Edit: Frankly, I'm also out of crap to write about and nothing left to send to them. Any suggestions? Feel free to PM. I would be chain-smoking right now with a few beers as I wallow, but alas, I'm stuck at work and just quit smoking this week.

Exact same boat. All I can hope for is that I'll get offered some awesome fall internship and tell them about it. But that probably won't happen for another few weeks...

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Fuck, so if you don't get that e-mail (quoted above) does that mean it's lights out? I feel sick.

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

......Orientation and Registration begin on Monday, August 27, and my experience is
that sometimes things will change in these coming three weeks. We
promise to let you know if any spaces become available. In the
meantime, please let us know if there are any updates to your file or
anything else you would like the Admissions Committee to know. Thank
you again for your patience, and we will be in touch on Wednesday,
August 29, with a final update.

Best,

Andy

That's the e-mail I got. I assume that's not as good as the other e-mail.

Cachinggggg

Postby Cachinggggg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I withdrew because I already accepted at Northwestern. Honestly I forgot I was on the waitlist at Gtown.

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:

I got the same email. Why did you decide to withdraw? this is the worst decision to have to make. My bro lives in D.C. and i would have jumped ship right away had i been accepted earlier. Anywho, I replied asking whether I could participate in OCI, and financial aid. If i get a chance to participate at all, ill prolly go.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm

BAK123 wrote:Fuck, so if you don't get that e-mail (quoted above) does that mean it's lights out? I feel sick.

I'm assuming most of us got the same email you did. Just plain shit out of luck.

1) Spots beyond those "2" additional spots would have to open.
2) I bet they sent that special email to at least 5 people, so we would need a lot more people to withdraw.
3) You would need to get selected to replace those in the special waitlist group.
4) Then you would have to be picked off the special waitlist group.
5) I don't know how to increase my chances to do 3&4.

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 pm

I guess I idiotically believed that the waitlists truly weren't ranked, as they said. Knew this couldn't be true. How else would you separate those that received the special waitlist e-mail from the good effort, good try waitlist e-mail. I really thought I had a great chance at GULC.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 pm

BAK123 wrote:I guess I idiotically believed that the waitlists truly weren't ranked, as they said. Knew this couldn't be true. How else would you separate those that received the special waitlist e-mail from the good effort, good try waitlist e-mail. I really thought I had a great chance at GULC.

I don't think you should be totally dejected. I was obviously in the same spot as you. My original email was DEF not a preferred waitlist. I got the same exact email as every other person initially. Also, I Just got the official acceptance email, so there is no 4th step really that "special email" means you're in.

I will make a decision ASAP and the fact that they didn't reject you means that they are still holding on to see if ppl like me accept (one person already announced he withdrew). Finally, you're at no more disadvantage being accepted now or aug 8th. We both missed the bidding deadline..etc.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:Also, I Just got the official acceptance email, so there is no 4th step really that "special email" means you're in.

Congrats man! Whatever decision you make, I'm sure you'll do well. Like you said, a rat race.

tink1

Postby tink1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:
BAK123 wrote:I guess I idiotically believed that the waitlists truly weren't ranked, as they said. Knew this couldn't be true. How else would you separate those that received the special waitlist e-mail from the good effort, good try waitlist e-mail. I really thought I had a great chance at GULC.

I don't think you should be totally dejected. I was obviously in the same spot as you. My original email was DEF not a preferred waitlist. I got the same exact email as every other person initially. Also, I Just got the official acceptance email, so there is no 4th step really that "special email" means you're in.

I will make a decision ASAP and the fact that they didn't reject you means that they are still holding on to see if ppl like me accept (one person already announced he withdrew). Finally, you're at no more disadvantage being accepted now or aug 8th. We both missed the bidding deadline..etc.

Did you find out about the financial aid situation as of right now?

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:50 pm

tink1 wrote:
Lyonsoccer87 wrote:

Did you find out about the financial aid situation as of right now?

To answer your question, I called today and asked about financial aid and talked to career service. Financial aid lady said that i can still fill out the need access form and that they still have grants available (if you qualify). The career service lady was very nice and said that it was def a disadvantage to have missed the bidding for EIW; However, she said that you can sign up for open spots plus whatever else she can find. overall the ppl i talked to were very helpful

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:56 pm

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm

I genuinely would be OK with law schools replacing status checkers with a "Percentage That You Will Be Accepted"-scale. Reaches 100 and you get an Admit e-mail. Reaches 0 and you get a Ding e-mail.

terpfan12

Postby terpfan12 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm

in! i suggest writing a LOCI....i originally got the wait list update that said "you will get a final update by 8/29" then after sending a LOCI, i got the "there may be 2 spots open" update

MidAtlantic

Postby MidAtlantic » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 pm

in this afternoon as well. I second terpfan12's advice. I kept saying I would absolutely attend if admitted.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 am

MidAtlantic wrote:in this afternoon as well. I second terpfan12's advice. I kept saying I would absolutely attend if admitted.

Good to see some action. Too bad it's not action towards me. So far it's been lower Tier 1's and Tier 2's being accepted off the waitlist. C'mon, give a Tier 4 guy a chance, haha.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:40 pm

You guys are really going to give up what I presume is at least top 10% at your school to go to Georgetown without OCI? Or are they saying youll get a handful of interviews etc?

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm

terpfan12 wrote:in! i suggest writing a LOCI....i originally got the wait list update that said "you will get a final update by 8/29" then after sending a LOCI, i got the "there may be 2 spots open" update

I've sent an ungoldy amount of LOCIs and LORs. :oops:

MidAtlantic wrote:in this afternoon as well. I second terpfan12's advice. I kept saying I would absolutely attend if admitted.

Same.

What are you all's stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 pm

aca0260 wrote:You guys are really going to give up what I presume is at least top 10% at your school to go to Georgetown without OCI? Or are they saying youll get a handful of interviews etc?

I got 3 interviews so far and they said i could prolly pull three more this next week. I don't want to be in the state im in right now forever. I can't take that shit. I'll update ppl on whether I made a turrrrible decision after i get first semester grades back.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:
aca0260 wrote:You guys are really going to give up what I presume is at least top 10% at your school to go to Georgetown without OCI? Or are they saying youll get a handful of interviews etc?

I got 3 interviews so far and they said i could prolly pull three more this next week. I don't want to be in the state im in right now forever. I can't take that shit. I'll update ppl on whether I made a turrrrible decision after i get first semester grades back.

Through open sign-up?

DeanKrazjic

Postby DeanKrazjic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Accepted last Thursday as well.

Top 20% of a top 30 school. Deferred from EA, waitlisted over the summer.

Return to “Transfers”