Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IsTheFatLadySinging

Re: Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Is anyone not doing the write on? Banking on another admit this week or just didnt want to put the time in?

tink1

Postby tink1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Is anyone not doing the write on? Banking on another admit this week or just didnt want to put the time in?

I chose not to. I talked to admissions and they didn't seem hopeful that there would be much movement off the wait list until August and I'm not willing to risk it, since you're disqualified after Aug 6th. Hoping I'll still get in and try to write on as a 3L

IsTheFatLadySinging

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 am

raindrops wrote:I need help ASAP….I’m pretty sure after interning in DC that I want to transfer to Georgetown after first year. I have two choices for first year schools …
a)A school that is ranked in the twenties
b)A school that is ranked in the sixties

While I greatly appreciate the school ranked in the sixties and the city, would I be shooting myself in the foot by not attending the school ranked in the twenties for transferring purposes?

I am specifically asking this question to this group since you all are in the transferring process for this wonderful school.
Would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone has.

Please do not respond that I should go into law school being happy with the school I am attending and not think about using it to get into another law school. I know this but still would like transferring advice.

Waitlisted Applicants:

TTTT, 4.067 GPA
Low tt, top 5 people,
Lower tt, top 1.4%
Lower TT, 3.3 gpa
TTTT, top 1%
TTTT, 3/125, 3.7 GPA, app under review
t30, Top 20%
50ish, expected #1
t25, top 15 %

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
raindrops wrote:I need help ASAP….I’m pretty sure after interning in DC that I want to transfer to Georgetown after first year. I have two choices for first year schools …

While I greatly appreciate the school ranked in the sixties and the city, would I be shooting myself in the foot by not attending the school ranked in the twenties for transferring purposes?

I am specifically asking this question to this group since you all are in the transferring process for this wonderful school.

Please do not respond that I should go into law school being happy with the school I am attending and not think about using it to get into another law school. I know this but still would like transferring advice.

Waitlisted Applicants:

TTTT, 4.067 GPA
Low tt, top 5 people,
Lower tt, top 1.4%
Lower TT, 3.3 gpa
TTTT, top 1%
t30, Top 20%
50ish, expected #1
t25, top 15 %

This is, without question, the best way to reply to 0L "aspiration of transferring" advice, compounded by the fact of what the number implicitly suggests: somewhere between 75-98% of the people at the school you're thinking of attending, do not have 1L grades sufficient enough to get them into the school you're hoping to transfer to. Simply devastating.

Anyway, back to us. There definitely seems as if there is a preferred waitlist for regular decision (non-transfer) students. Are we positive that there is no preferred waitlist for transfer students? My concern is heightened by my regular (non-transfer) experience with University of Maryland. I was placed on the waitlist, my closest friend was placed on the preferred waitlist. The waitlist that I was on said "there is no rank on the waitlist."

Being that it concerns law school, I can't tell if I'm paranoid or if law school people play law school word games but just because our e-mail says that they do not rank those on the waitlist, that does not mean there isn't a preferred waitlist. It could simply be that there is a preferred waitlist with rank and then once they offer to all of those students and still have room, they randomly pick those off the waitlist.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

BAK123 wrote:

Waitlisted Applicants:

TTTT, 4.067 GPA
Low tt, top 5 people,
Lower tt, top 1.4%
Lower TT, 3.3 gpa
TTTT, top 1%
t30, Top 20%
50ish, expected #1
t25, top 15 %

This is, without question, the best way to reply to 0L "aspiration of transferring" advice, compounded by the fact of what the number implicitly suggests: somewhere between 75-98% of the people at the school you're thinking of attending, do not have 1L grades sufficient enough to get them into the school you're hoping to transfer to. Simply devastating.

Anyway, back to us. There definitely seems as if there is a preferred waitlist for regular decision (non-transfer) students. Are we positive that there is no preferred waitlist for transfer students? My concern is heightened by my regular (non-transfer) experience with University of Maryland. I was placed on the waitlist, my closest friend was placed on the preferred waitlist. The waitlist that I was on said "there is no rank on the waitlist."

Being that it concerns law school, I can't tell if I'm paranoid or if law school people play law school word games but just because our e-mail says that they do not rank those on the waitlist, that does not mean there isn't a preferred waitlist. It could simply be that there is a preferred waitlist with rank and then once they offer to all of those students and still have room, they randomly pick those off the waitlist.

When in doubt, just call and ask. And it seems like a touch of paranoia to me...

InSport

Postby InSport » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

I think I was just admitted to NYU (fingers crossed). I'll withdraw from GULC once I know for sure. Good luck to those on the GULC wait list!

strokes4ever

Postby strokes4ever » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Withdrew. Hope this opens up a spot for someone on that enigmatic waitlist.

trbrny

Postby trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Was accepted to CLS, will withdraw from GULC tomorrow as soon as I pay my tuition deposit.

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

And to think, if a withdraw from Georgetown truly does trickle into an acceptance off the wait list, it is possibly a decision that could greatly alter someone's life. Oh, what a connected world. Congrats, folks!

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I was on the waitlist and just withdrew. #1 at a 50s school, in at Penn and NYU.

MidAtlantic

Postby MidAtlantic » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I was on the waitlist and just withdrew. #1 at a 50s school, in at Penn and NYU.

Congrats!

raindrops

Postby raindrops » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Waitlisted Applicants:

TTTT, 4.067 GPA
Low tt, top 5 people,
Lower tt, top 1.4%
Lower TT, 3.3 gpa
TTTT, top 1%
t30, Top 20%
50ish, expected #1
t25, top 15 %

Thanks everyone for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. Good luck to all of you!

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 am

When is the OCI deadline for GULC? are waitlist people basically denied OCI? GWU deadline is 20th, so I can't imagine GULC being much later.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:When is the OCI deadline for GULC? are waitlist people basically denied OCI? GWU deadline is 20th, so I can't imagine GULC being much later.

TR 7/19 at 12 pm.

edit: not sure what their procedure is for transfers admitted after that date. It probably wouldn't hurt to call their OCS now and just inquire.
Last edited by PrayingforHYS on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 am

So after a TLSer brought this to my attention, I'm super worried that I screwed up my write-on submission as I did not upload an unofficial transcript with the rest of my documents prior to my deadline. I assumed that OJA would get my grade info from the registrar or admissions or whoever kept the final transcript I sent in given 1.) the grading process for the write-on is supposed to be anonymous and my transcript has my name all over it and 2.) there was no mention of it in the instructions or on the submission site. However, the FAQ on the main site says you're supposed to submit a transcript with your packet. For anyone who hasn't submitted yet, don't make the same mistake I did!

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 am

Jessuf wrote:So after a TLSer brought this to my attention, I'm super worried that I screwed up my write-on submission as I did not upload an unofficial transcript with the rest of my documents prior to my deadline. I assumed that OJA would get my grade info from the registrar or admissions or whoever kept the final transcript I sent in given 1.) the grading process for the write-on is supposed to be anonymous and my transcript has my name all over it and 2.) there was no mention of it in the instructions or on the submission site. However, the FAQ on the main site says you're supposed to submit a transcript with your packet. For anyone who hasn't submitted yet, don't make the same mistake I did!

I just re-read the instructions and you're right--there is nothing mentioning any transcripts. However, the transfer FAQs say:

Will my grades from my current school count in the competition?
No. Because no two schools use the same grading system, your individual grades do not count in the Write On competition. Instead, you will be assigned a set number of points for grades. This number is given to all transfer students and when calculated with the score of your competition paper represents your final overall competition score. You will, however, need to provide OJA with a copy of your transcript. This should be sent in with your full packet. This is for office purposes only and will have no impact on your Write On score

I don't think I would have seen/remembered this if not for you, so (1) thank you, but (2) I am confused as to what this even means.

It says that our grades do NOT count in the write on competition but that we are assigned a set number of points for grades? Are they saying that every transfer receives, say, 10 points for grades, and this goes towards calculating our final score? Also, how does one provide OJA with a copy of our transcript? Do they want an unofficial copy where I just copy and paste something into MS Word and delete my name from the top? I've already sent GULC an official copy of my transcript as part of my application (as I'm sure everyone else had to), so I'm unsure why they can't just acquire this from Admissions. Also, as you stated, if they do want an official resume or something like that from us...that has our name on it, so how do they get around that?

Anybody have any insight / who here has submitted their write-on, and what did they do for it?

I'm confused lol

MidAtlantic

Postby MidAtlantic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So after a TLSer brought this to my attention, I'm super worried that I screwed up my write-on submission as I did not upload an unofficial transcript with the rest of my documents prior to my deadline. I assumed that OJA would get my grade info from the registrar or admissions or whoever kept the final transcript I sent in given 1.) the grading process for the write-on is supposed to be anonymous and my transcript has my name all over it and 2.) there was no mention of it in the instructions or on the submission site. However, the FAQ on the main site says you're supposed to submit a transcript with your packet. For anyone who hasn't submitted yet, don't make the same mistake I did!

I just re-read the instructions and you're right--there is nothing mentioning any transcripts. However, the transfer FAQs say:

No. Because no two schools use the same grading system, your individual grades do not count in the Write On competition. Instead, you will be assigned a set number of points for grades. This number is given to all transfer students and when calculated with the score of your competition paper represents your final overall competition score. You will, however, need to provide OJA with a copy of your transcript. This should be sent in with your full packet. This is for office purposes only and will have no impact on your Write On score

I don't think I would have seen/remembered this if not for you, so (1) thank you, but (2) I am confused as to what this even means.

It says that our grades do NOT count in the write on competition but that we are assigned a set number of points for grades? Are they saying that every transfer receives, say, 10 points for grades, and this goes towards calculating our final score? Also, how does one provide OJA with a copy of our transcript? Do they want an unofficial copy where I just copy and paste something into MS Word and delete my name from the top? I've already sent GULC an official copy of my transcript as part of my application (as I'm sure everyone else had to), so I'm unsure why they can't just acquire this from Admissions. Also, as you stated, if they do want an official resume or something like that from us...that has our name on it, so how do they get around that?

Anybody have any insight / who here has submitted their write-on, and what did they do for it?

I'm confused lol

Ok, so I emailed the Journal office on Monday about this question, and they said i could email a transcript to their attention. I asked if I should remove any identifying info from it, but they did not respond to that part of my question. So, I would say just email your transcript to that OJA email.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

MidAtlantic wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:

I'm confused lol

Ok, so I emailed the Journal office on Monday about this question, and they said i could email a transcript to their attention. I asked if I should remove any identifying info from it, but they did not respond to that part of my question. So, I would say just email your transcript to that OJA email.

Ahh, this was reassuring! I woke up in a cold sweat at 4am and just had to e-mail them. I was really confused about the whole uploading the transcript to the submission site given that everything is supposed to be anonymous and transcripts are clearly not anonymous.

I have NO idea how our grades will be assigned points, and no one in that office has answered that question for me either. All of this really confuses me. However, I was really worried my precious summer time spent doing the competition was going to be wasted by simply not uploading my transcript.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 am

Hey guys. I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope one of you TLS'ers gets my spot.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 am

Can someone link me to last year's GULC transfer thread? Can't seem to find it.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm

BAK123 wrote:And to think, if a withdraw from Georgetown truly does trickle into an acceptance off the wait list, it is possibly a decision that could greatly alter someone's life. Oh, what a connected world. Congrats, folks!

Stats?

BAK123

Postby BAK123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 pm

lnllnl wrote:
BAK123 wrote:And to think, if a withdraw from Georgetown truly does trickle into an acceptance off the wait list, it is possibly a decision that could greatly alter someone's life. Oh, what a connected world. Congrats, folks!

Stats?

Top 10% at a local, T3.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Buddy called them today. FWIW, they told him that they will be making some waitlist decisions over the next two weeks.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm

lnllnl wrote:Buddy called them today. FWIW, they told him that they will be making some waitlist decisions over the next two weeks.

I feel like it doesn't even matter anymore. It seems as though anyone admitted this late would be unable to join a journal or be competitive at OCI.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Mce252 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:Buddy called them today. FWIW, they told him that they will be making some waitlist decisions over the next two weeks.

I feel like it doesn't even matter anymore. It seems as though anyone admitted this late would be unable to join a journal or be competitive at OCI.

For FT students, yeah, it's a tougher decision with lost benefit. You guys missed out on OCI, but you can do the write-on next summer. However, my buddy and I are 1E PT students, so were weren't going to participate in OCI this summer and we still have the option of the write-on next summer.

For those who won't even bother from the waitlist anymore, feel free to withdraw. Not trying to push either way.

Return to “Transfers”