Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
canesfan1986

Bronze

Re: Georgetown RD Applicants Fall 2012

Post by canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 pm

lnllnl wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Any waitlisted applicants seen any updates? I think they let a few in around this time last year.
Hopefully people who dropped deposits but got into better schools have been withdrawing.
I will as soon as I do. Hopefully tomorrow. Other schools are taking forever.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Any waitlisted applicants seen any updates? I think they let a few in around this time last year.
Hopefully people who dropped deposits but got into better schools have been withdrawing.
I will as soon as I do. Hopefully tomorrow. Other schools are taking forever.
Truth. Was hoping the Harvard admits would lead to a trickle down effect with the T10's

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:59 pm

gdizz01 wrote:I'm just dropping in to vent my frustration. I was admitted 7/3 (by e-mail), and given until 7/13 to make my decision. I would take Gtown over my current school, but don't think it's worth withdrawing my Columbia/NYU/Penn apps...nor do I have $800 to donate to the university for fun, so it looks like another spot will be opening up for you WLer's!

Just my $.02 on their process- I think they're just trying to churn-and-burn applicants, forcing people to either cough up cash or let the next person step up who may be willing to cough up cash, and so forth. It's obviously a calculated move that they require RD applicants to commit long before anyone would hear back from any other school: they deliberately create exactly the predicament I feel I'm in now, and charge $800 for the gamble (and $40 for the journal packet...is that normal?? Shouldn't that be part of tuition? Do non-transfers have to pay for their journal packets? At least no one had to at my current school). Anyway, all of this upfront expense already has me feeling like the cash cow/second class citizen I don't hope to feel like at my transfer institution, so I'm becoming somewhat disenchanted by Gtown. Anyway, I'm sure that a lot of people that have better horses int he race and have been cornered like this will withdraw, and there will be a big wave of admits off the waitlist next week. Here's to hoping that all our dreams come true! :D

Oh yeah and if it matters to anyone that's keeping track, I'm T30 top 4-5% or so.
You very well may hear by the 13th from someone else... so maybe the fates (i.e., God) will take it out of your hands.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm

gdizz01 wrote:Do non-transfers have to pay for their journal packets?
Looking at the FAQ for their 1L write-on, it says that: "Participating students who wish to compete must purchase the rights to the online competition packet."

Here's to hoping you get into something better.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Does anyone know what time we can buy the write on packet until? Should I buy it before the close of the business day just in case? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferbound

New

Post by transferbound » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:54 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Does anyone know what time we can buy the write on packet until? Should I buy it before the close of the business day just in case? Thanks!
I think you have until 8pm

jd1969a

New

Post by jd1969a » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

transferbound wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Does anyone know what time we can buy the write on packet until? Should I buy it before the close of the business day just in case? Thanks!
How do we get a username and password? I tried contacting the journal office and couldn't get through. Do I already have a username and password in something they sent me that I just overlooked?

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Flan, are you in at GT or just buying the packet in case?

transferbound

New

Post by transferbound » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:06 pm

jd1969a wrote:
transferbound wrote:
How do we get a username and password? I tried contacting the journal office and couldn't get through. Do I already have a username and password in something they sent me that I just overlooked?
I received an email that had my login information

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jd1969a

New

Post by jd1969a » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 pm

transferbound wrote:
jd1969a wrote:
transferbound wrote:
I received an email that had my login information
I did too, but I completely forgot. Thanks!

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm

DeanKrazjic wrote:Waitlisted.
Withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow... Good luck

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Just got an email from GULC titled "RE: Georgetown Law - Decision Rendered" ... too bad it was only their acknowledgement of my interest to remain on the waiting list.

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Also waitlisted...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MidAtlantic

New

Post by MidAtlantic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Are there still RD people out there who have yet to get a decision?

BAK123

New

Post by BAK123 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:14 pm

1. Is there or is there not a preferred waitlist?
2. How many people, generally, get off the waitlist?
3. If the waitlist e-mail is to be believed, and those that are offered admission from the waitlist are notified late August, is there any other legitimate expectation than participating in one's original school's OCI and then leaving thereafter?

Sincerely,

Depressed Waitlister.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:31 pm

BAK123 wrote:1. Is there or is there not a preferred waitlist?
2. How many people, generally, get off the waitlist?
3. If the waitlist e-mail is to be believed, and those that are offered admission from the waitlist are notified late August, is there any other legitimate expectation than participating in one's original school's OCI and then leaving thereafter?

Sincerely,

Depressed Waitlister.
1. My email said that the waitlist is unranked. Also, no one has piped up about being on either a preferred waitlist so far.
2. No idea.
3. That's what I would do if I was FT. But maybe others would frown on that? Luckily, I'm PT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:You're cut off from OCI & the write-on.
You get to do next year's Transfer Write-on competition. But for FT students, you do miss OCI...
Last edited by lnllnl on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAK123

New

Post by BAK123 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:If you got in late August, I don't understand the point of choosing GULC at that point. You're cut off from OCI & the write-on. When you do mass mailing this summer, it won't say GULC on it. You'll have to make last minute living arrangements before school starts. If you get any interviews from your old school's OCI or mass mailing, it will be because of your 1L school and ranking there, meaning you can get interviews without GULC on your resume. Transferring at that point makes no sense to me.
Living arrangements wouldn't be an issue for me. I applied from an area school. Re: getting interviews without GULC, I don't want to go to Georgetown to get a good job. My current school has earth-shattering OCI prospects. I want to go to GULC because of the opportunities and resources. It just really appeals to me on some level. I know a lot of people just want to go law school to get BigLaw but that's not me, man.

BAK123

New

Post by BAK123 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 pm

I know some GULC-ers that took 1L Constitutional Law with Neal Katyal. I might be lame but those things really excite me.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 am

Jessuf wrote:If you got in late August, I don't understand the point of choosing GULC at that point. You're cut off from OCI & the write-on. When you do mass mailing this summer, it won't say GULC on it. You'll have to make last minute living arrangements before school starts. If you get any interviews from your old school's OCI or mass mailing, it will be because of your 1L school and ranking there, meaning you can get interviews without GULC on your resume. Transferring at that point makes no sense to me.
What are the cutoffs for participating in OCI and the write-on?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:39 am

Mce252 wrote:
What are the cutoffs for participating in OCI and the write-on?
I know the last day to buy the packet was the 11th and it is due on the 18th for transfers. I am not sure if they will let transfers admitted after that date participate.

Bidding deadline is July 18th. Again, don't know how it would work if you are admitted after this date.

raindrops

New

Post by raindrops » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 pm

I need help ASAP….I’m pretty sure after interning in DC that I want to transfer to Georgetown after first year. I have two choices for first year schools …
a)A school that is ranked in the twenties
b)A school that is ranked in the sixties

While I greatly appreciate the school ranked in the sixties and the city, would I be shooting myself in the foot by not attending the school ranked in the twenties for transferring purposes?

I am specifically asking this question to this group since you all are in the transferring process for this wonderful school.
Would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone has.

Please do not respond that I should go into law school being happy with the school I am attending and not think about using it to get into another law school. I know this but still would like transferring advice.

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

All I can tell you is that you can likely transfer to GULC from a school in the 20s with a Top 15-20% rank. From a school in the 60s you're looking more at top 5-10%. Take that for what its worth.

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:08 pm

raindrops wrote:I need help ASAP….I’m pretty sure after interning in DC that I want to transfer to Georgetown after first year. I have two choices for first year schools …
a)A school that is ranked in the twenties
b)A school that is ranked in the sixties

While I greatly appreciate the school ranked in the sixties and the city, would I be shooting myself in the foot by not attending the school ranked in the twenties for transferring purposes?

I am specifically asking this question to this group since you all are in the transferring process for this wonderful school.
Would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone has.

Please do not respond that I should go into law school being happy with the school I am attending and not think about using it to get into another law school. I know this but still would like transferring advice.
Common advice is that you should never attend a law school expecting to get good grades and transfer. Yes, you may be super smart, but it's a tough thing to bank on. If you go to the 20s school, then either you do well and you can try to transfer (and again, from a 20s school, even if you're, say, top 20% you could prob get up to GULC--as opposed to, as said, needing to be top 5% at a 60s) or, if you don't do as well as you hoped, stick it out there and still get a great degree from the 20s school. If you want more info or advice, you can PM me.

Side-bar for GULC people here: I've been doing the write-on all weekend. The cases, frankly, are very interesting, and I like the topic, but it's taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”