Yale Transfer Fantasy Land 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mileslibertatis

Re: Yale Transfer Fantasy Land 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:13 pm

I don't see how you are a long shot when you are in the top of your class at a T14. If that's a long shot, not sure what I am as a #1 at a 50s school.

But my understanding is Yale announces all decisions on the 23rd, by calling 10-15 people they admit. I think Harvard will expect you to pay the deposit like any other school, and I can think of worse things than losing my H deposit for Y.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Speaking of which, I wonder how much the H deposit is?

Jage2

Postby Jage2 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

srvyorgeneral wrote:Giving it a go. A long shot but what the hell. Top 4% at GULC, 2 CALIs, 2 excellent recommendations and lots of solid WE.

A question - YLS says decisions won't start rolling until the week of July 18th...but HLS seems to give a quick turnaround time. Anyone think it's possible to negotiate a longer timeframe if (a) you get an acceptance at HLS but (b) you're holding out for YLS?

This is the exact situation I'm in. I was lucky enough to receive an admission to HLS on Friday, and they require an answer by the 18th. I, too, am a long shot for Yale, but I'm worried that I won't receive an answer before the 18th. I was planning on phoning YLS's admissions office and explaining my situation, but I'm not sure what they will tell me. I imagine that I will have to sacrifice whatever deposit Harvard requires me to pay in the extremely unlikely event I am offered admission to Yale.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I don't have the chutzpah to make any kind of request. If you are successful, please let us know.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Thank you for your application and your interest in Yale Law School. We will e-mail you again when your application is complete. We plan to contact applicants with our decisions during the latter half of the week of July 15 and the first half of the week of July 22.

Many of you have experienced problems trying to use LSAC's CAS for our transfer application. We have resolved the problems with LSAC and are happy to report you can now assign letters of recommendation to Yale Law School. We apologize for the confusion and the delay it has caused in the application process. As our way of thanking you for your continued patience while we resolved the CAS problems, we have waived the application fee for all transfer applicants. If you have already sent payment with your application, we will either destroy your payment or refund your application fee.

While you are waiting for a decision on your application, we wanted to provide you with the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from transfer applicants. We hope you will find the transfer FAQ of use.

The Yale Law School Admissions Office

TRANSFER FAQ

Important Dates - Transfer students must arrive in New Haven in time for Orientation on Monday, August 27. Classes begin on Wednesday, September 5. If you plan to participate in the Fall On-Campus Interview Program (FIP), the Program begins on Monday, August 13, and bids are due by 3:00 pm on Monday, July 30.
Required Paperwork - You will not be able to register for classes until you have provided the following paperwork:
- official undergraduate and law school transcripts sent from those schools to the Yale Law School Admissions Office.
- two passport photos or a photo submitted on-line (it is important that you submit these as soon as possible so that you can be listed in the student directory).
- proof of measles and rubella vaccinations. If you are not able to obtain proof of vaccination, you can be revaccinated at the Yale Health Plan once you arrive in New Haven.
Financial Aid - Our financial aid is need-based. If accepted, you will be eligible to apply for financial aid. Our Financial Aid Office will help you with this process. In order to expedite the award process, you should have your FAFSA and Need Access analysis forwarded to the Law School. Our Title IV code is 001426. More information about financial aid is available on our website at http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/Cost ... ialAid.htm
Housing - The vast majority of our students live off-campus in houses or apartments within a 10-15 minute walk of the Law School. Apartment rents vary; an average one bedroom ranges from $700-1500, two bedrooms are $1000-2000. If accepted, you will have access to the University's Off-Campus Housing website and the Law School's incoming student Facebook group. These are good places to start looking for housing. Most transfers are able to find an apartment after a short visit to New Haven.
Classes - Yale Law School has a one week "shopping period" for classes at the beginning of the semester. Transfers will be able to select classes during this period, with assistance from the Dean of Student Affairs, the third-year Transfer Advisor, and the other deans.
Journals - Yale Law School has nine journals; eight of them have open admission. Transfer students are eligible to participate in the Yale Law Journal admissions process, which involves a bluebooking exam and writing component in late August/early September. Transfer students have successfully participated in this process in the past and have regularly served as board members or officers.
Fall Interviews - Second-year students (including transfers) will register for fall on-campus interviews in late July. The deadline to bid for employers is 3:00 pm on Monday, July 30. If you are offered admission, the Career Development Office will send to you additional information on the services they provide, a list of the employers registered for FIP, the FIP timeline, and an offer to provide one-on-one counseling. FIP begins on Monday, August 13, and continues until Friday, August 17.

I decided to post this email for the community's benefit.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:57 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:
Thank you for your application and your interest in Yale Law School. We will e-mail you again when your application is complete. We plan to contact applicants with our decisions during the latter half of the week of July 15 and the first half of the week of July 22.

Many of you have experienced problems trying to use LSAC's CAS for our transfer application. We have resolved the problems with LSAC and are happy to report you can now assign letters of recommendation to Yale Law School. We apologize for the confusion and the delay it has caused in the application process. As our way of thanking you for your continued patience while we resolved the CAS problems, we have waived the application fee for all transfer applicants. If you have already sent payment with your application, we will either destroy your payment or refund your application fee.

While you are waiting for a decision on your application, we wanted to provide you with the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from transfer applicants. We hope you will find the transfer FAQ of use.

The Yale Law School Admissions Office...

I decided to post this email for the community's benefit.

This is from last year, right? Because the email I got said, "We expect to render decisions on transfer applications during the latter half of the week of July 18 and the early half of the week of July 25. All decisions will be communicated by telephone or email."

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

What?? No, I just got this email today. Like, 4 minutes ago.

EDIT: They obviously didn't change the dates for your email from last year, since 18 and 25 were beginnings of weeks last July.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:What?? No, I just got this email today. Like, 4 minutes ago.

Wut. Where's my email.

Jage2

Postby Jage2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I just got the same exact email. Also, I contacted YLS admissions department; the person I spoke with said that students who are accepted into other schools and reserve a seat before being accepted into YLS typically just lose their deposit in the event they decide to attend YLS. I asked him when we should expect to begin receiving decisions and he said "August 1st at the earliest." Pretty sure he was trolling me hard, tbh.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:What?? No, I just got this email today. Like, 4 minutes ago.

Wut. Where's my email.

This is insane -- seriously? I got some wacky email from last year? I thought it was strange that they were referring to the "latter half" of a week while using the 18th as the start date. I got that email on July 3rd.

Does this mean they didn't get my recommendations before? Should I call them? Arg!

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up on their admissions office not taking kindly to upstart questions.

srvyorgeneral

Postby srvyorgeneral » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Is tomorrow supposed to be D-Day for the first round? My email said "We expect to render decisions on transfer applications during the latter half of the week of July 18 and the early half of the week of July 25." Since July 18th is a Wednesday, wouldn't that be the start of the "latter half of the week" (at least as of noon)? Predictions?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Maybe, but there was that other thing that said all decisions would be on the 23rd...

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

They should have sent you an amended email (check your spam folder) with corrected dates. The email says "the latter half of the week of the 15th."

Yeah, who knows what "latter half" means. I'm gonna guess that the admits will come first, maybe starting thursday, but it's all just conjecture.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Maybe, but there was that other thing that said all decisions would be on the 23rd...

What? Where.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 pm

I think they changed their mind about that. This is what the application itself says:

Admissions decisions for transfer candidates will be made during in third week of July.
An applicant to whom an offer of admission is being made will be notified by telephone.
Given the late date on which we reach decisions, we will issue all other decisions by email
and post.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 pm

TatteredDignity wrote: (check your spam folder)

Seriously, what is with YLS not being to send email without it going to spam? Is this a test to see how badly you really want it?

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 pm

edit
Last edited by nadopretz on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I think Yale has more money than most small nations and they can't get fix this problem? Truly the future belongs to the hackers.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I think Yale has more money than most small nations and they can't get fix this problem? Truly the future belongs to the hackers.

edit
Last edited by nadopretz on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

You can only link to images that are hosted elsewhere.

Reach

Postby Reach » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

Last edited by Reach on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am

Reach wrote:I really expected more speculation here. Anyone check when people heard decisions last year?

I'll look and report back. My personal view is that my chances are so dim that I'm not going to invest myself too heavily in Y's decision. I imagine most people feel this way as well.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am

The first TLS-reported acceptance came yesterday last year.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 am

TatteredDignity wrote:The first TLS-reported acceptance came yesterday last year.

Well, there you go. Makes sense given the email they sent about decisions coming this week into next. I will not be too heartbroken when I do not get a phone call.

Return to “Transfers”