Cornell transfer 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
soccerp

Cornell transfer 2012

Postby soccerp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Has anyone ever been accepted to Cornell as a transfer before the july 11 OCI bidding deadline? I went complete today and was wondering if they purposely wait till after july 11 to accept ppl.

crossarmant

Re: Cornell transfer 2012

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I have an app prepared but I'm not sure that (1) I stand a chance, (2) It'd even be worth the transfer without OCI.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 pm

I dunno, but my year a number of transfers participated in our primary OCI. A few other transfers didn't. So even if you don't get to prioritize your bids, you might be given some interview slots anyway.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Be careful transferring into Cornell. Ask the administration whether as a transfer, they will let you participate in AJF (our primary OCI. the actual OCI that's held at the school later is a lot weaker and is mainly upstate NY). I could be totally wrong, but I believe transfers are normally not eligible to participate in AJF.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 pm

This is the response I got from Admissions:

"Transfer students that have been accepted AND have paid their deposit, are eligible to participate in any of our fall recruiting events. The caveat being that this must happen before the fall recruiting bidding deadline of July 10 (actually a few days prior to allow time for you to prepare your bids).

Cornell Law runs its fall recruiting events via a lottery system. Students bid on the firms they wish to interview with, we meet with students to advise them on their bidding list (because there is strategy involved depending on the student's interests), and then our Career Services Office runs a lottery to determine how these interviews will be randomly distributed. In fairness to all students, once the lottery is run, and interviews have been assigned, it cannot be run again.

If a student is accepted after the lottery has run (after July 10), they can potentially still participate by signing up for open interview slots. However, there are very few of these and there is a lot of competition for them. In addition, students can conduct their own outreach to firms in order to try to gain interviews. This can be very difficult and often does not result in a large number of interviews compared to taking part in the lottery.
"

I subsequently asked if it's feasible for a person to get an acceptance that early since the deadline isn't even until 7/15. They replied with:

"It is a difficult situation in terms of timing, and the part that is totally out of our control (in terms of admitting people) is when, or even if, spots open up in the second-year class. There is simply no way for us to determine in advance whether or not a transfer application that goes complete today, and goes through the review process tomorrow, will meet the deadline for the fall recruiting events. We hope you decide to apply to Cornell Law, and will do our best to communicate a decision to you within a timeframe that would make you eligible to participate."

soccerp

Postby soccerp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm

crossarmant wrote:This is the response I got from Admissions:

"Transfer students that have been accepted AND have paid their deposit, are eligible to participate in any of our fall recruiting events. The caveat being that this must happen before the fall recruiting bidding deadline of July 10 (actually a few days prior to allow time for you to prepare your bids).

Cornell Law runs its fall recruiting events via a lottery system. Students bid on the firms they wish to interview with, we meet with students to advise them on their bidding list (because there is strategy involved depending on the student's interests), and then our Career Services Office runs a lottery to determine how these interviews will be randomly distributed. In fairness to all students, once the lottery is run, and interviews have been assigned, it cannot be run again.

If a student is accepted after the lottery has run (after July 10), they can potentially still participate by signing up for open interview slots. However, there are very few of these and there is a lot of competition for them. In addition, students can conduct their own outreach to firms in order to try to gain interviews. This can be very difficult and often does not result in a large number of interviews compared to taking part in the lottery.
"

I subsequently asked if it's feasible for a person to get an acceptance that early since the deadline isn't even until 7/15. They replied with:

"It is a difficult situation in terms of timing, and the part that is totally out of our control (in terms of admitting people) is when, or even if, spots open up in the second-year class. There is simply no way for us to determine in advance whether or not a transfer application that goes complete today, and goes through the review process tomorrow, will meet the deadline for the fall recruiting events. We hope you decide to apply to Cornell Law, and will do our best to communicate a decision to you within a timeframe that would make you eligible to participate."

Thanks so much for the info! I don't understand their approach to this. Why is it that every other T14 has figured out a way to allow potential transfers to participate in the main OCI events but cornell makes it sound like it's nearly impossible? I feel like i wasted money by applying to the school, but it's a good experiment because I'm complete and it seems like they have enough time to decide to admit or deny me next week. we'll see if they wait till after july 10th to do it. Maybe they just really value the small class size and have to figure out if ppl are transferring out of cornell first.

EDIT: also, how is the "timing" of admitting ppl out of their control?

dtl

Postby dtl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Just got admitted. So as it turns out it seems that as long as you deposit before July 9th you can take part in both their early NYC OCI and the Cornel specific OCI.

They were very forthright and clear in the admissions letter. That at least I can appreciate.

haranv

Postby haranv » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 pm

what were your stats?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:42 pm

dtl's prior posts show top 10% at a top 40 law school.

@dtl: Are you giving up your spot at UCLA ?

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:45 pm

dtl wrote:Just got admitted. So as it turns out it seems that as long as you deposit before July 9th you can take part in both their early NYC OCI and the Cornel specific OCI.

They were very forthright and clear in the admissions letter. That at least I can appreciate.

Cornell OCI is a joke, mostly upstate NY. Make sure to get into AJF if you want to actually do big law. And congrats, welcome aboard. You better be at Ruloff's most days 4-6 for happy hour.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm

dtl wrote:Just got admitted. So as it turns out it seems that as long as you deposit before July 9th you can take part in both their early NYC OCI and the Cornel specific OCI.

How were you informed? snail mail or email or call?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Now I'm upset I didn't even bother applying... damn

IsTheFatLadySinging

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:

How were you informed? snail mail or email or call?

+1

dtl

Postby dtl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

It was through Email.

I am torn. I want UCLA but since I do not really want to be a lawyer my entire life the lay prestige of Cornell is a big deal. I will get an answer to them by Friday.

haranv

Postby haranv » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

anyone else still waiting on Cornell? I've been complete since June 26th

IsTheFatLadySinging

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 pm

haranv wrote:anyone else still waiting on Cornell? I've been complete since June 26th

Bids were due today for Cornell so.....

Return to “Transfers”