Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:37 pm

For admitted people or Michigan transfers from last year: how do you interpret the dates for EIW in relation to depositing? Letter says accept by July 17th for same terms as other 2L's & the deadline for bidding is July 25th. What does "same terms" mean/what disadvantage for accepting on say, July 20th?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:For admitted people or Michigan transfers from last year: how do you interpret the dates for EIW in relation to depositing? Letter says accept by July 17th for same terms as other 2L's & the deadline for bidding is July 25th. What does "same terms" mean/what disadvantage for accepting on say, July 20th?


I accepted before the deadline, but I think the deadlines were a little later last year.

And by "same terms" they mean that you just end up in the lottery with everyone else based on your bidlist as if you were a regular Michigan 2L (and EIW is entirely lottery).

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 am

keg411 wrote:
Should I Transfer?? wrote:For admitted people or Michigan transfers from last year: how do you interpret the dates for EIW in relation to depositing? Letter says accept by July 17th for same terms as other 2L's & the deadline for bidding is July 25th. What does "same terms" mean/what disadvantage for accepting on say, July 20th?


I accepted before the deadline, but I think the deadlines were a little later last year.

And by "same terms" they mean that you just end up in the lottery with everyone else based on your bidlist as if you were a regular Michigan 2L (and EIW is entirely lottery).


Thanks kegs. So basically, there is no disadvantage with respect to EIW so long as you deposit and get your bids in before the bidding deadline.

wolverteer
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby wolverteer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 am

I'm top 11% @ T2 school with strong Michigan ties, resident, alum etc. Still have yet to hear anything. Hope running out? Sounds like at least 15 or so people have gotten in and posted on this thread. Assuming there are others that got in but didn't post. Doesn't leave many spots :-/

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 am

wolverteer wrote:I'm top 11% @ T2 school with strong Michigan ties, resident, alum etc. Still have yet to hear anything. Hope running out? Sounds like at least 15 or so people have gotten in and posted on this thread. Assuming there are others that got in but didn't post. Doesn't leave many spots :-/


What kind of t2? 50s? 60s?

wolverteer
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby wolverteer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:56 am

transferbound wrote:
wolverteer wrote:I'm top 11% @ T2 school with strong Michigan ties, resident, alum etc. Still have yet to hear anything. Hope running out? Sounds like at least 15 or so people have gotten in and posted on this thread. Assuming there are others that got in but didn't post. Doesn't leave many spots :-/


What kind of t2? 50s? 60s?



Was 50s when I enrolled, has slipped into 60s though haha

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

wolverteer wrote:
transferbound wrote:
wolverteer wrote:I'm top 11% @ T2 school with strong Michigan ties, resident, alum etc. Still have yet to hear anything. Hope running out? Sounds like at least 15 or so people have gotten in and posted on this thread. Assuming there are others that got in but didn't post. Doesn't leave many spots :-/


What kind of t2? 50s? 60s?



Was 50s when I enrolled, has slipped into 60s though haha


.
Last edited by transferbound on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

eastcoast_iub
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:40 pm

.
Last edited by eastcoast_iub on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Should I Transfer?? wrote:For admitted people or Michigan transfers from last year: how do you interpret the dates for EIW in relation to depositing? Letter says accept by July 17th for same terms as other 2L's & the deadline for bidding is July 25th. What does "same terms" mean/what disadvantage for accepting on say, July 20th?


I accepted before the deadline, but I think the deadlines were a little later last year.

And by "same terms" they mean that you just end up in the lottery with everyone else based on your bidlist as if you were a regular Michigan 2L (and EIW is entirely lottery).


Thanks kegs. So basically, there is no disadvantage with respect to EIW so long as you deposit and get your bids in before the bidding deadline.


Yup :).

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:Update: Top 12% at IUB, accepted today.


Congrats!

Are you going to take NU? Michigan?

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:35 pm

.
Last edited by transferbound on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

eastcoast_iub
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:06 pm

shock259 wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:Update: Top 12% at IUB, accepted today.


Congrats!

Are you going to take NU? Michigan?


Thanks man. I'm trying to gather some info and work this out right now (still hoping for Penn also). NU has better Big Law stats but Michigan places better on the East Coast (plus there must be something to substantiate Michigan's consistently higher rank).

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 am

I think the choice between NU and M is a difficult one. My general, purely anecdotal evidence from past threads is that Michigan transfers, overall, seem to do better than NU transfers at securing biglaw positions. Possible explanations for this include: NU's emphasis on enrolling students with work experience puts transfers, who are more likely to lack significant work experience as compared with the average NU non-transfer student, at a disadvantage; NU does not allow students to put GPA information on resumes at OCI which might hurt transfers, especially those from less well regarded schools; NU's transfer admissions in general may be more lax then M's, resulting in the M transfer class just being stronger overall; M may have more internal support for transfers than NU (e.g. editor of law review at Michigan was recently a transfer student); NU's inflated GPA curve may make transfers GPA's look less impressive; and I'm sure there are more possibilities.

Setting transfers aside, NU seems to place more students into biglaw than M does. M seems to have a better reputation for academia and places more students into prestigious clerkships than NU.

It is hard making these decisions and is made harder trying to do so without proper empirical data from the schools regarding the success (or failure) of transfers. At this point I am leaning towards M (barring acceptances from other schools) over NU as being the safer bet for securing biglaw. However, I would prefer to live in Chicago for the next two years and am still early in the decision making process (i.e. I may be leaning the other way tomorrow).

It's late and this has been sort of a rambling stream of consciousness, but I hope it helps someone.

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 am

.
Last edited by transferbound on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyonsoccer87
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

not one word... smh

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:54 am

As a Michigan transfer, Should I Transfer's analysis is spot on.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:10 pm

ALKDNFASLZNFZFMNA,SFMZ

In via phone call. T40, Top 8%, 1 year WE

zZDLKMNFPZDF;LMAFM

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby pballer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

congrats!

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:44 pm

Also, re NU vs M, I am torn. I could definitely see the analysis above as true. But it is a bit hard to swallow in light of the NLJ250 numbers for the general populations of both schools. NU is rocking 52%, and M was down to 30% last year.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/20 ... tatistics/

But I guess I'll wait and see where else I get in before thinking about it too hard.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm

shock259 wrote:Also, re NU vs M, I am torn. I could definitely see the analysis above as true. But it is a bit hard to swallow in light of the NLJ250 numbers for the general populations of both schools. NU is rocking 52%, and M was down to 30% last year.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/20 ... tatistics/

But I guess I'll wait and see where else I get in before thinking about it too hard.


The NLJ250 numbers DO NOT APPLY TO TRANSFERS. M transfers do better than NU transfers.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Fair enough. :)

I'm probably going to PM you tons of questions about your experience soon. :)

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 pm

shock259 wrote:Fair enough. :)

I'm probably going to PM you tons of questions about your experience soon. :)


No prob, glad to help :D.

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 am

keg411 wrote:
shock259 wrote:Fair enough. :)

I'm probably going to PM you tons of questions about your experience soon. :)


No prob, glad to help :D.


I'll be PMing you as well. I'm in the same NU vs. Michigan boat and I really have no idea which one to pick...!

transferbound
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby transferbound » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 am

.
Last edited by transferbound on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Michigan 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

NU's OCI begins on 14 August. Michigan's OCI starts on 21 August.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.