Transfer chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
holycowsrock

New

Transfer chances

Post by holycowsrock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 am

Hi,

I go to a TTTT in New England area
GPA: 3.78

Applying to:
BU, BC, Penn State and GULC.

Let me know my chances. Thanks!

pballer

Bronze

Re: Transfer chances

Post by pballer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am

Arrow wrote:To transfer into the T1 you need:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4
Based on Arrow's algorithm, I'd say definitely out at GULC, probably out at BC and BU, and competitive at Penn St., but the algorithm doesn't always hold true.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 pm

pballer wrote:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4
Based on Arrow's algorithm, I'd say definitely out at GULC, probably out at BC and BU, and competitive at Penn St., but the algorithm doesn't always hold true.
I think he has a very solid shot at BC/BU. He already goes to school there and probably has some ties other than that if he's at a T4 up there. I would think that he could get into one of them. At Penn State, he's probably good to go if he has ties at all to the area and if PSU is taking more than one or two transfers (no idea how many they take).

holycowsrock

New

Post by holycowsrock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I applied to PSU last year and was on the waitlist.

I have very strong ties to the Boston area, and I applied to both BC and BU last year. I grew up here and plan to live either here, NY or DC (if I can get into GULC).

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:41 pm

holycowsrock wrote:I applied to PSU last year and was on the waitlist.

I have very strong ties to the Boston area, and I applied to both BC and BU last year. I grew up here and plan to live either here, NY or DC (if I can get into GULC).
If you have ties and you really hit on them, I think you should get into ONE of the Boston schools at least. I mean, I may be wrong, but it would seem good for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holycowsrock

New

Post by holycowsrock » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19 am

I have been accepted into BC. Now just waiting for BU and Georgetown. The deposit for BC is $1000. Should I consider BU still? What about losing a deposit for Georgetown (if I get in)?

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 am

BC and BU are very close in the rankings, so I'm not sure what would make you prefer one over the other. Maybe class size, specific programs?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 pm

holycowsrock wrote:I have been accepted into BC. Now just waiting for BU and Georgetown. The deposit for BC is $1000. Should I consider BU still? What about losing a deposit for Georgetown (if I get in)?
Deposit and enjoy BC. Georgetown has wiped tons more people with better stats and BU is a peer school with equal placement. Enjoy Boston College, congrats!

holycowsrock

New

Post by holycowsrock » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:BC and BU are very close in the rankings, so I'm not sure what would make you prefer one over the other. Maybe class size, specific programs?
I like living in Boston. BC is in Newton. I don't mind commuting but location wise BU is more ideal. Then again, I'm in law school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 pm

pballer wrote:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4
With all due respect to arrow, even as rough guidelines these percentages aren't very useful. Transfers into the T14 are really the only place where we have enough data and have seen enough trends to talk about likely cutoffs.

holycowsrock

New

Post by holycowsrock » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 am

I'm putting my deposit down for BC but if I do get into either BU and GULC, can I withdraw and will this look bad? It sucks to be out of the money, but I just want to make sure it's not binding and will look bad. Nothing in my acceptance email says my deposit is binding but they've already sent me a username for the BC system.

ben2587

New

Post by ben2587 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:30 am

holycowsrock wrote:I'm putting my deposit down for BC but if I do get into either BU and GULC, can I withdraw and will this look bad? It sucks to be out of the money, but I just want to make sure it's not binding and will look bad. Nothing in my acceptance email says my deposit is binding but they've already sent me a username for the BC system.
As far as I know its not binding, but it would be wise to perform your due diligence first. You are in a good position either way and the worst thing that can happen is that you are out your $1k deposit.

holycowsrock

New

Post by holycowsrock » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am

ben2587 wrote:
holycowsrock wrote:I'm putting my deposit down for BC but if I do get into either BU and GULC, can I withdraw and will this look bad? It sucks to be out of the money, but I just want to make sure it's not binding and will look bad. Nothing in my acceptance email says my deposit is binding but they've already sent me a username for the BC system.
As far as I know its not binding, but it would be wise to perform your due diligence first. You are in a good position either way and the worst thing that can happen is that you are out your $1k deposit.

Okay thanks. I want to put my deposit down for BC even though I prefer BU's location in case something happens and I'm not admitted to BU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”