University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby Mce252 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Everyone who has already received a decision: when did you go complete and under review?

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Anyone else getting tired of having a heart attack each time you get an email only to see it's some stupid bullshit from LivingSocial?

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Haha I have been unsubscribing from things just to lessen the frequency.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

FlanSolo wrote:Anyone else getting tired of having a heart attack each time you get an email only to see it's some stupid bullshit from LivingSocial?

holy shit, yes.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby Mce252 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm

The text at the top of my status checker changed from:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee. If you've applied under the Binding Early Decision option, you will hear back from us within 15 days of the later of (1) when your file became complete or (2) when your residency status has been determined. Most (but not all) Regular Decision option applicants will receive a decision within 6-8 weeks after going into committee review."

to just:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee."

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Mce252 wrote:The text at the top of my status checker changed from:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee. If you've applied under the Binding Early Decision option, you will hear back from us within 15 days of the later of (1) when your file became complete or (2) when your residency status has been determined. Most (but not all) Regular Decision option applicants will receive a decision within 6-8 weeks after going into committee review."

to just:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee."

so did mine. maybe they changed it for transfers (to avoid confusion about the ED stuff).

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:24 pm

fatduck wrote:
Mce252 wrote:The text at the top of my status checker changed from:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee. If you've applied under the Binding Early Decision option, you will hear back from us within 15 days of the later of (1) when your file became complete or (2) when your residency status has been determined. Most (but not all) Regular Decision option applicants will receive a decision within 6-8 weeks after going into committee review."

to just:

"Your application for admission to the University of Virginia School of Law is complete and is under consideration by the admissions committee."

so did mine. maybe they changed it for transfers (to avoid confusion about the ED stuff).


Samesies.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Me too! Me too!

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby heeloftar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Mine has been the same for over a month - "Your transfer application has been forwarded to the Committee for reivew (sic) and decision. Please contact us at lawadmit@virginia.edu if you have questions or concerns."

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm

heeloftar wrote:Mine has been the same for over a month - "Your transfer application has been forwarded to the Committee for reivew (sic) and decision. Please contact us at lawadmit@virginia.edu if you have questions or concerns."


You should voice your concern about the typo - I am sure it would help your application.

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby heeloftar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
heeloftar wrote:Mine has been the same for over a month - "Your transfer application has been forwarded to the Committee for reivew (sic) and decision. Please contact us at lawadmit@virginia.edu if you have questions or concerns."


You should voice your concern about the typo - I am sure it would help your application.


Haha, perhaps after a ding ;)

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Well, I'm assuming we can all relax for the day? Do emails go out after Admissions is closed?

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:50 pm

You have a different message and it has a typo in it? Are you sure you aren't logging in to some spam site? Are there ads?!

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby heeloftar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:53 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:You have a different message and it has a typo in it? Are you sure you aren't logging in to some spam site? Are there ads?!


Haha yea, not really sure about it myself. It's not something I want to email them about... "So, I was comparing the message in my status checker to other people on TLS and..."

GodFavor2010
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby GodFavor2010 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

My status checker has the same typo.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Maybe this is like New York Law School and NYU being completely different. Maybe you accidentally applied to Virginia Law Center or something.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

GodFavor2010 wrote:My status checker has the same typo.


If they fix the typo, we'll know they are watching us. Waiting for us to slip up.

mjs8ub
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mjs8ub » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I was admitted yesterday via phone call. The status changed shortly thereafter to "admitted" at the very top. I'm a VA resident and I have strong ties to VA/UVA - Went to UVA undergrad. Was an Echols scholar, honor counsel, Cav Daily. 166 LSAT. I had horrible grades in undergrad bc I was a huge slacker (2.9 GPA).
*Edit: I also took approx. 3 years off between undergrad and law school and worked as a paralegal in VA and NYC.

My current school is ranked #39. I dropped from top 10% first semester to top 18% (because of a B in some bs history class they make us take that they decided to discontinue next year...)

Back in May I visited the school and spoke with the senior assistant dean of admissions. She said they were anticipating taking anywhere from 10-15 students, but potentially up to 20.

Good luck!
Last edited by mjs8ub on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby heeloftar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Well, my message is now the same as the others. Maybe they're watching ;)

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 pm

mjs8ub wrote:I was admitted yesterday via phone call. The status changed shortly thereafter to "admitted" at the very top. I'm a VA resident and I have strong ties to VA/UVA - Went to UVA undergrad. Was an Echols scholar, honor counsel, Cav Daily. 166 LSAT. I had horrible grades in undergrad bc I was a huge slacker (2.9 GPA).

My current school is ranked #39. I dropped from top 10% first semester to top 18% (because of a B in some bs history class they make us take that they decided to discontinue next year...)

Back in May I visited the school and spoke with the assistant dean of admissions. She said they were anticipating taking anywhere from 10-15 students, but potentially up to 20.

Good luck!


Congrats!

User avatar
LazinessPerSe
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby LazinessPerSe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Grats! Those numbers give some of us hope. Although your UVa ties are pretty legit.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby Mce252 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:41 pm

For those already admitted, could you give us the deposit amount and when the deadline is?

mjs8ub
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mjs8ub » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Deposit due July 6th. $1,000.00. I submitted my application a few days before the June 15th deadline for those who were wondering.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:15 pm

This strikes me as annoying. If I get in to any school, it looks like I am going to have to put down a deposit and risk it. It's like Vegas.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: University of Virginia Transfer Thread 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:26 pm

So... anybody getting phone calls today?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.