A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

No votes
No votes

Total votes: 0

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:32 am

Last edited by SirWilliam1022 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jurisx

Re: Transferring to Escape Grades

Postby jurisx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:37 am

You need good grades to transfer as a general rule. You seem to want to do the converse. LMFAO......

Whittier would accept you, but why not just stay where you are and learn how to raise them? Seems easier and smarter.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 am

I'll say it more nicely, but I don't think it is going to work.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 am

jurisx wrote:You need good grades to transfer as a general rule. You seem to want to do the converse. LMFAO......

Whittier would accept you, but why not just stay where you are and learn how to raise them? Seems easier and smarter.

You don't have to be such a dick about it.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 am

Last edited by SirWilliam1022 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 am

You could drop out and reapply in a few years.

omg clay aiken !

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 am

Just keep at it. Make adjustments and do whatever it takes to bring your grades up over the course of the next two years. It can happen. I would suggest against transferring down, because every employer will want to see your GULC transcript from 1l year anyways. To supplement that, it's definitely better to have good grades 2l and 3l year from GULC than from a worse school that you transferred to.... good luck

btw jurisx you're a complete clown. nice life

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Is it even fathomable that I could laterally transfer to a New York T-14 (Columbia - out... NYU or the dreaded Cornell) given this connection?

I'll be brutally honest
1. Only Cornell is a lateral transfer
2. Even then, if you're really bottom third, there's no chance you get into any of them
3. This "transferring to escape grades" idea has been mentioned on TLS recently, but it's not a real thing. You can't escape your grades. Employers will want transcripts from BOTH schools. This idea also assumes you will perform better at the new school, which is unlikely.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 am

Even a lateral transfer is highly unlikely. They don't just want to snatch up any student from peer schools. I apologize for being blunt, but do you really think a peer to GULC would look at your transcript and say "This guy would be a valuable addition to our class"? Unless you were willing to transfer down (a bad idea), I don't think it is happening.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am

Last edited by SirWilliam1022 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm

If you are in or at the bottom third of your class at GULC, then transferring to Cornell or NYU would be unlikely at best, in my opinion.

If you are unhappy at Georgetown, paying sticker price & targeting a specific market, then you may be able to transfer down--although many law schools, including many outside of Tier One--write that they accept transfer applications from those in the top half (or even higher) of their current law school class. Some use the words "must be" in the top blank%. In short, you may not be able to transfer to any worthwhile law school due to your low class rank.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Is a 3.07 really the bottom third at at GULC?

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm

No shot at transferring to a school worth transferring to. Enjoy GULC.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Pretty much everyone in this position would want to transfer if it would give them a clean slate. Doesn't work that way. Sorry.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Last edited by SirWilliam1022 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Thanks. My assumption is that it would be a stretch. I thought it may have half a chance in hell just as a lateral transfer or a slight transfer DOWN (at least I've proven, if nothing else, that I won't flunk out of a similar school). I also have decent job prospects given political work that I have done and connections I have in New York. Hence, there may be something for schools to gain in terms of employment prospects. Please take note, I do not expect to transfer into HYS with my present marks. I am not a jackass.

That said, the second or third poster stated why don't I just learn to raise my grades. Reflect upon the idiocy of your comment for a moment. To scoot back to median, I would have to receive marks in the next year that were equivalent to the top 15% in the class and to scoot back to median in a semester I would basically have to ace out the next semester. Anything is possible, but those prospects seem even more absurd than the ones that I am stating in my inquiry.

Lastly, I just have not been happy at Georgetown. I thought it made sense to go to the best ranked school I could get into and I had worked on the Mayor's race in D.C. (any worthwhile connections from that campaign are all now in prison) so I was familiar with the city. However, mass-production education is not giving me what I need. The school doesn't work as hard at developing their students as they did in recruiting them.That is a problem. Stll, the biggest issue I have had is the big-ness. I had never been in a class over 30 people in my life and all of my classes this year were 120+. It works for some people, but I just don't fit the school. If I could get a clean slate somewhere else I know I would perform much better, but the question is how much lower do I have to go and is that then worth it.

Again, any help I can get I am very thankful for.

If you think raising your grades is idiocy, you deserve not to.

Which is worse having a high 3 point GPA or graduating from a lower ranked law school with a slightly higher 3 point GPA?

Make a choice I guess. (I call flame)

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 pm

DCDuck wrote:Pretty much everyone in this position would want to transfer if it would give them a clean slate. Doesn't work that way. Sorry.

Good point, the transferee often can't get any of the awards or status that all the transfer BS is for if you transfer due to transfer grades not counting for GPA. No scholarly classes, no law review, no deans list...... why waste your time? (you can do more sitting still)

Like I said, flame.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:46 pm

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Point (F) Most schools actually allow transfers to compete for Latin Honors. Many people complain about this and rightfully so. Still, I am not other people and am looking for what is the best option for me in my situation.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Being below median and paying sticker at GULC sucks. If you can be top 10-15% at a lower ranked T1 that is cheaper, it might not be a horrible option.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 pm

jurisx wrote:
DCDuck wrote:Pretty much everyone in this position would want to transfer if it would give them a clean slate. Doesn't work that way. Sorry.

Good point, the transferee often can't get any of the awards or status that all the transfer BS is for if you transfer due to transfer grades not counting for GPA. No scholarly classes, no law review, no deans list...... why waste your time? (you can do more sitting still)

Like I said, flame.

Most schools allow transfers to do the write on. And a high GPA at the school you transfer to still looks good. The things you listed aren't the problem--OP's problem is just that his grades are probably not competitive enough to transfer anyplace worth transferring too.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:26 pm

If you have "decent job prospects" then why do you care about performing better somewhere else? OCI is in 2 months.

If it's a support system you need then you shouldn't be looking at schools outside of NY.

If the size of your classes is an issue that probably won't be such a big deal once you can choose your schedule and get to take electives with smaller class sizes.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 pm

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:I know that I am smart enough to get good grades here and even better grades somewhere lower ranked

Blumpbeef wrote:Being below median and paying sticker at GULC sucks. If you can be top 10-15% at a lower ranked T1 that is cheaper, it might not be a horrible option.

Good plan. Transfer down a few ranks and pwn all the dumbs.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
SirWilliam1022 wrote:I know that I am smart enough to get good grades here and even better grades somewhere lower ranked

Blumpbeef wrote:Being below median and paying sticker at GULC sucks. If you can be top 10-15% at a lower ranked T1 that is cheaper, it might not be a horrible option.

Good plan. Transfer down a few ranks and pwn all the dumbs.

By that mentality why not start at Whitter to begin with?
I get you are joking, but if you were serious that would be the super obvious counter point.

That plus at least one jerk there is a 180 lsat on a full ride and will blow the curve no matter what you do (short of murder). Murpheys law, it should a 1L required course.

Return to “Transfers”