transfer with 2.7 from 30 to USC? is it worth it?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lsatnyc83

transfer with 2.7 from 30 to USC? is it worth it?

Postby lsatnyc83 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

currently at a school ranked in the bottom 20. have a 2.7 gpa from my 1l year and have the option of transferring to USC due to my strong application from last year and personal circumstances. however this means i'll be losing my scholarship and having to make a big move. will the benefit of having my gpa start over and go to a better school be worth the change?

dpk711

Re: transfer with 2.7 from 30 to USC? is it worth it?

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:29 am

Wait, you have a 2.7 from a bottom 20 school and have a chance to transfer to a T20?

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:30 am

lsatnyc83 wrote:currently at a school ranked in the bottom 20. have a 2.7 gpa from my 1l year and have the option of transferring to USC due to my strong application from last year and personal circumstances. however this means i'll be losing my scholarship and having to make a big move. will the benefit of having my gpa start over and go to a better school be worth the change?

Won't really help you with OCI, since firms will still have to look at your 1L grades.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

Are the personal circumstances worth it?

9iceLaw

Postby 9iceLaw » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Are the personal circumstances continuous?
I would suggest attending the school that you will be the happiest and most motivated at.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Your terminology has me confused, but I am assuming you mean you attend a school currently ranked in high 20s (e.g. 28th or 29th) and have the option to move up about 10 spots to USC, with the drawback being that you will be paying quite a bit more money. As was pointed out, for seeking jobs at OCI your old school and GPA will be looked at, so the move won't help in that regard, but I think if you want to be at USC it wouldn't be a bad move in the long run unless you are fairly debt averse. Hard to give good advice without more info though...

Return to “Transfers”