Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 pm

haranv wrote:hey do you mind providing your stats?

T30, 3.95 GPA.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm

In!! :D

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby drmguy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm

lisavj wrote:In!! :D

How were you notified?

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Email. Guess a batch went out?

in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm

To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.

grok123
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby grok123 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

In via email today as well :)

Top 3% at t40s (same school as the above poster who was 5/403 unless there happen to be two schools with a 403 sized class)
Last edited by grok123 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 pm

in_reverie wrote:To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.


^this

transferapplicant
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby transferapplicant » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm

lisavj wrote:
in_reverie wrote:To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.


^this


The email says they need a commitment by the end of the first week of July. On another thread, a Stanford transfer from last year said that they notify all transfers during the third week of July.

So it looks like you can commit to Boalt and not go to Stanford no matter what, turn down a Boalt acceptance and gamble on Stanford, or accept Boalt and then renege on your commitment if you get into to Stanford.

I've seen things posted on other threads about applying to Boalt making it difficult to wait and see which other schools you get into.

in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

Also, are you guys doing the write-on? The admitted students page says it lasts from 713-7/24. How the hell am I supposed to take that much time off my summer job?

Xferr
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Xferr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Also in! T2, 3.96 GPA, exact rank unknown. Very excited about everything except the July 6 decision deadline - what the hell?

Ehudbarak15
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Ehudbarak15 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm

It is there to discourage you from going to better schools. Berkeley is used to transfers bailing on them for CLS.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 pm

lisavj wrote:In!! :D


Congratulations!!! :D :D :D

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

kapital98 wrote:
lisavj wrote:In!! :D


Congratulations!!! :D :D :D

Thanks :). Will miss the t-loin. Pulling for you to join me.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am

in_reverie wrote:And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

Also, are you guys doing the write-on? The admitted students page says it lasts from 713-7/24. How the hell am I supposed to take that much time off my summer job?


I'll be writing on. Probably will have to do it in the evenings. The one for our school was scheduled for a week but meant to take four days, any chance this is similar? :hopeful:

SanDiegoLaw
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby SanDiegoLaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Dies anyone know if you have a shot coming from T4?

3L Student
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby 3L Student » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 pm

It was pretty brutal two years ago. I attempted the entire thing, and it took me the full time.

Out of our class of 40 transfers, there were 2 that got on. But I think that less than half attempted/finished. This was frustrating since they promised something like 10 slots to the transfer class.

There are lots of other journals at Berkeley that you can join without law review. Also, law review at Boalt doesn't indicate grades at all. It's super helpful for a clerkship, but not required to get BigLaw (most that got BigLaw did not have it...).

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 am

lisavj wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
lisavj wrote:In!! :D


Congratulations!!! :D :D :D

Thanks :). Will miss the t-loin. Pulling for you to join me.

congrats!!!

knew you'd get in! did you hear from stanford?

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 am

Lasers wrote:congrats!!!

knew you'd get in! did you hear from stanford?


Not even complete yet (had records email over rank today) but expecting a ding... I'm ranked about 4 below their preference...

transferapplicant
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby transferapplicant » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:27 pm

3L Student wrote:It was pretty brutal two years ago. I attempted the entire thing, and it took me the full time.

Out of our class of 40 transfers, there were 2 that got on. But I think that less than half attempted/finished. This was frustrating since they promised something like 10 slots to the transfer class.

There are lots of other journals at Berkeley that you can join without law review. Also, law review at Boalt doesn't indicate grades at all. It's super helpful for a clerkship, but not required to get BigLaw (most that got BigLaw did not have it...).


With the summer job, needing to find a place to live in the area, and the write on this is going to be a busy July...

lawschoolisfun2012
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 am

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 am

Anyone hear anything?

Xferr
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Xferr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 am

Is everyone just accepting Berkeley? What are people doing about their other apps?

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby lisavj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

I'm waiting it out to the deadline, will send a "I have to accept elsewhere" note monday next.

...to me it seems a bit like this:

Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.

User avatar
Scorch
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Scorch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am

lisavj wrote:Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.


That is the best description ever!!

User avatar
Arrow
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Arrow » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Scorch wrote:
lisavj wrote:Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.


That is the best description ever!!


+1

Congrats to all Berkeley transfers!

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Postby Rotor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

lisavj wrote:
in_reverie wrote:And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

Also, are you guys doing the write-on? The admitted students page says it lasts from 713-7/24. How the hell am I supposed to take that much time off my summer job?


I'll be writing on. Probably will have to do it in the evenings. The one for our school was scheduled for a week but meant to take four days, any chance this is similar? :hopeful:

The CLR write on is not designed to be a time pressured event. That doesn't mean it'll be easy. It is going to take commitment to do it in the evenings after work. Just be sure to complete it. If you don't, you only guarantee you won't get accepted.

Note to clarify one thing from 3L's post: there are no "reserved spots" for transfers, though the non transfer offer rate is made so that a roughly proportional rate of transfers may also write on. Also, I know CLR c/o 2013 had few transfers, but in my class (2012) I can think of at least 5 transfers and maybe more that I'm forgetting about at the moment. (About 10% of total journal membership)

Final point. Just do it. CLR was my favorite part of my 3 years here. Great friends, great work.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck on the write on.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.