Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
in_reverie

New

Re: Transfer to Berkeley waiting thread 2012

Post by in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 pm

haranv wrote:hey do you mind providing your stats?
T30, 3.95 GPA.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm

In!! :D

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm

lisavj wrote:In!! :D
How were you notified?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Email. Guess a batch went out?

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm

To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grok123

New

Post by grok123 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

In via email today as well :)

Top 3% at t40s (same school as the above poster who was 5/403 unless there happen to be two schools with a 403 sized class)
Last edited by grok123 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 pm

in_reverie wrote:To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.
^this

transferapplicant

New

Post by transferapplicant » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm

lisavj wrote:
in_reverie wrote:To the other admits: do you think you'll attend? Absent a (highly unlikely) Stanford acceptance, I think I've found my new school.
^this
The email says they need a commitment by the end of the first week of July. On another thread, a Stanford transfer from last year said that they notify all transfers during the third week of July.

So it looks like you can commit to Boalt and not go to Stanford no matter what, turn down a Boalt acceptance and gamble on Stanford, or accept Boalt and then renege on your commitment if you get into to Stanford.

I've seen things posted on other threads about applying to Boalt making it difficult to wait and see which other schools you get into.

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

Also, are you guys doing the write-on? The admitted students page says it lasts from 713-7/24. How the hell am I supposed to take that much time off my summer job?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Also in! T2, 3.96 GPA, exact rank unknown. Very excited about everything except the July 6 decision deadline - what the hell?

Ehudbarak15

New

Post by Ehudbarak15 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm

It is there to discourage you from going to better schools. Berkeley is used to transfers bailing on them for CLS.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Congratulations!!! :D :D :D

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Thanks :). Will miss the t-loin. Pulling for you to join me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am

in_reverie wrote:And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

Also, are you guys doing the write-on? The admitted students page says it lasts from 713-7/24. How the hell am I supposed to take that much time off my summer job?
I'll be writing on. Probably will have to do it in the evenings. The one for our school was scheduled for a week but meant to take four days, any chance this is similar? :hopeful:

SanDiegoLaw

New

Post by SanDiegoLaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Dies anyone know if you have a shot coming from T4?

3L Student

New

Post by 3L Student » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 pm

It was pretty brutal two years ago. I attempted the entire thing, and it took me the full time.

Out of our class of 40 transfers, there were 2 that got on. But I think that less than half attempted/finished. This was frustrating since they promised something like 10 slots to the transfer class.

There are lots of other journals at Berkeley that you can join without law review. Also, law review at Boalt doesn't indicate grades at all. It's super helpful for a clerkship, but not required to get BigLaw (most that got BigLaw did not have it...).

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 am

lisavj wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Thanks :). Will miss the t-loin. Pulling for you to join me.
congrats!!!

knew you'd get in! did you hear from stanford?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 am

Lasers wrote: congrats!!!

knew you'd get in! did you hear from stanford?
Not even complete yet (had records email over rank today) but expecting a ding... I'm ranked about 4 below their preference...

transferapplicant

New

Post by transferapplicant » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:27 pm

3L Student wrote:It was pretty brutal two years ago. I attempted the entire thing, and it took me the full time.

Out of our class of 40 transfers, there were 2 that got on. But I think that less than half attempted/finished. This was frustrating since they promised something like 10 slots to the transfer class.

There are lots of other journals at Berkeley that you can join without law review. Also, law review at Boalt doesn't indicate grades at all. It's super helpful for a clerkship, but not required to get BigLaw (most that got BigLaw did not have it...).
With the summer job, needing to find a place to live in the area, and the write on this is going to be a busy July...

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 am

Anyone hear anything?

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 am

Is everyone just accepting Berkeley? What are people doing about their other apps?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

I'm waiting it out to the deadline, will send a "I have to accept elsewhere" note monday next.

...to me it seems a bit like this:

Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.

Scorch

New

Post by Scorch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am

lisavj wrote: Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.
That is the best description ever!!

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Scorch wrote:
lisavj wrote: Berkeley is the on-again off-again boyfriend who finally proposed. Some things were said in the past about whether I would make a good spouse, but I'm willing to let those go. Nonetheless, I'm going to give Prince Wills a week or two in case he calls to offer me a place as HRH.
That is the best description ever!!
+1

Congrats to all Berkeley transfers!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

lisavj wrote:
in_reverie wrote:And if you accept Berkeley then it's a given that we'll probably be accepted, haha. I'll probably accept and then play it by ear from there.

I'll be writing on. Probably will have to do it in the evenings. The one for our school was scheduled for a week but meant to take four days, any chance this is similar? :hopeful:
The CLR write on is not designed to be a time pressured event. That doesn't mean it'll be easy. It is going to take commitment to do it in the evenings after work. Just be sure to complete it. If you don't, you only guarantee you won't get accepted.

Note to clarify one thing from 3L's post: there are no "reserved spots" for transfers, though the non transfer offer rate is made so that a roughly proportional rate of transfers may also write on. Also, I know CLR c/o 2013 had few transfers, but in my class (2012) I can think of at least 5 transfers and maybe more that I'm forgetting about at the moment. (About 10% of total journal membership)

Final point. Just do it. CLR was my favorite part of my 3 years here. Great friends, great work.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck on the write on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”