Transfer to Chicago Area

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
santoslaguna

Transfer to Chicago Area

Postby santoslaguna » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 am

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm at a T2 school ranked in the 60s and want to transfer to a school in/near Chicago. My fiance is starting med school at Uchicago and it would be nice to be near her.

What schools should I be looking at? Right now I'm looking at Wisconsin and Illinois.

Stats:
first semester I had a 3.34, which was top 25% of the class. This past semester I got a 3.85, which should put me at t3-5% for this semester, and maybe t10% overall. I have a masters degree, and won't find out about law review until mid-july.

I really don't want to take out a shitload of loans to go to loyola u. in chicago or chicago kent, because they have similar or worse rankings as my current school.

It doesn't seem like I have a shot at northwestern or chicago.

Any ideas?

jbiresq

Re: Transfer to Chicago Area

Postby jbiresq » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Don't count out Northwestern. Someone from Loyola who was barely in the top 25% got in there last year, so they do look at more things than grades. Also, the certainty of you accepting an offer may help you a little.

I would also stay away from Wisconsin, unless you really want to practice in the state. I would definitely send an app to Illinois. Though, the drive from Chicago to Champaign is one of the most mind-numbing things you'll ever do.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:00 pm

santoslaguna wrote:Hey guys, need some advice. I'm at a T2 school ranked in the 60s and want to transfer to a school in/near Chicago. My fiance is starting med school at Uchicago and it would be nice to be near her.

What schools should I be looking at? Right now I'm looking at Wisconsin and Illinois.

Stats:
first semester I had a 3.34, which was top 25% of the class. This past semester I got a 3.85, which should put me at t3-5% for this semester, and maybe t10% overall. I have a masters degree, and won't find out about law review until mid-july.

I really don't want to take out a shitload of loans to go to loyola u. in chicago or chicago kent, because they have similar or worse rankings as my current school.

It doesn't seem like I have a shot at northwestern or chicago.

Any ideas?

You might want to consider proposing to your girlfriend, locking her down, and then dropping out of law school. Be a stay at home dad in this economy. You'll thank me later

santoslaguna

Postby santoslaguna » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The profile for Wisconsin at TLS seems to suggest that some of the kids there are recruited into chicago...is this one of those only the top of the class things? I like the fact that I could get in-state tuition after a year.

I guess Northwestern and Illinois are my best options then? What about Indiana? Anyone know if those grads go to Chicago?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 am

santoslaguna wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

The profile for Wisconsin at TLS seems to suggest that some of the kids there are recruited into chicago...is this one of those only the top of the class things? I like the fact that I could get in-state tuition after a year.

I guess Northwestern and Illinois are my best options then? What about Indiana? Anyone know if those grads go to Chicago?

If you're looking to be close to Chicago then Indiana is not really an option. In no traffic it's a four hour drive (unless you're willing do that.) This is just what I've seen in a quick search, so take it for what it is, but while you see a ton of Indiana undergrad people in Chicago you do not see a lot of Maurer grads at big Chicago firms.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 am

Why haven't you considered Notre Dame? South Bend isn't terribly far and the job prospects seem better than Wisconsin.

santoslaguna

Postby santoslaguna » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 am

I didn't think I'd be competitive enough for notre dame. I guess I can throw that in the mix too.

Return to “Transfers”