NYU Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferfromut

Re: NYU Transfers

Postby transferfromut » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 pm

kaiser wrote:
transferfromut wrote:Is there a mailing list for students to look for housing? I checked NJ housing and each apartment is asking for 1500 at least. If I'm paying that much, I'd rather staying at the dorm.

Will the dorms be available to transfer students? After spending a day calling friends/checking Craigslist, I kinda feel dorm might be the hassle-free way to do my housing.

kaiser wrote:
InSport wrote:I might be looking for a roommate if I get in. I'm planning on staying in Jersey City, though.

...I've never looked so forward to Monday morning.

Smart choice staying in Jersey City. Super convenient to NYU and rent is about half as much. I sort of like getting out of the craziness of the city at the end of the day, but always having the ability to get back within just a few minutes.

Law dorms are available to transfer students and it's probably the most hassle free route. But def do some Craigslist searching. Within one day of looking, I set up 3 appointments, found some great places, and ended up choosing the place I currently live in. Make sure to look into renting out a room in a larger apartment. That will give you the best savings. I found a bunch of options between 800-1000 that are very close to the grove and Newport path stations.

I thought I was good at doing the screening and kick out the scam. I sent out prob 20 emails yesterday, got prob 5 replies, and all of them claim that they live in another country right now but can schedule room viewing and looking for security deposit.

InSport

Postby InSport » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Because I'm a little insane, I inserted two columns into the spreadsheet for undergrad GPA and LSAT score. I put my stats in. Can others please do the same?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... lh4c2hQQWc

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Is it Monday yet?

Please admit me, NYU. I love you.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

Any admits going to NYU even if they get in to CLS? I'm pretty sure I am, unless H or Y comes calling. After a lot of thought, I've decided that NYU offers more of the lifestyle I want in the city, and it seems extremely friendly to transfers. That CLS seems to perform better at Biglaw deeper in the class is mostly irrelevant to transfer students. (Also, I'd still need to get in.)

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 am

FlanSolo wrote:Any admits going to NYU even if they get in to CLS? I'm pretty sure I am, unless H or Y comes calling. After a lot of thought, I've decided that NYU offers more of the lifestyle I want in the city, and it seems extremely friendly to transfers. That CLS seems to perform better at Biglaw deeper in the class is mostly irrelevant to transfer students. (Also, I'd still need to get in.)

I may go to whichever accepts me first. I like to feel wanted lol. But apparently I shouldn't be counting on it. At least I haven't been rejected anywhere yet.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:Any admits going to NYU even if they get in to CLS? I'm pretty sure I am, unless H or Y comes calling. After a lot of thought, I've decided that NYU offers more of the lifestyle I want in the city, and it seems extremely friendly to transfers. That CLS seems to perform better at Biglaw deeper in the class is mostly irrelevant to transfer students. (Also, I'd still need to get in.)

I may go to whichever accepts me first. I like to feel wanted lol. But apparently I shouldn't be counting on it. At least I haven't been rejected anywhere yet.

Ha - it's probably going to be a photo finish!

harmonep14

Postby harmonep14 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 am

canesfan1986 wrote:

Are you still stuck at 7/3 too canesfan?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 am

harmonep14 wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:

Are you still stuck at 7/3 too canesfan?

Yup. I mean, I guess it's better than being rejected, but at least there's closure in rejection. I'd really be surprised if I wasn't accepted at some point, but this cycle seems tougher than last. Or it could be me just saying that because I'm still in limbo when I didn't expect to be. Either way, this is torturous.

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

Take my words with a grain of salt, because I'm not admitted at either school yet. But given the choice, I would go to CLS. Since career opportunities are pretty much the same, it comes down to lifestyle for me. NYU struck me as extremely hostile to transfer visitors, and the students just didn't look happy. They were running from Point A to Point B staring at the ground. The "gatekeeper" at admissions was rude to me until I mentioned my GPA, at which point she started fawning all over me. The whole experience was a turn-off. However, since then I've spoken to several current students who love NYU, think it was the best choice they ever made, etc. etc. so I suppose it may only be Admissions that gives off this weird vibe. CLS, on the other hand, was nothing but welcoming and friendly every step of the way. I talked to a bunch of students who were more than happy to share their experience and seemed genuinely excited for me that I was hoping to transfer there. The students in the lounges and hallways didn't look miserable, which at any law school is a plus. BUT-- CLS is a much longer commute for me and NYU is in a cooler part of the city. So bottom line, I'd jump at the chance to go to either school.

For the record-- I've been stuck at 7/2 Processing, even though all boxes are now checked. Torturous indeed.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am

I have not heard anything bad about NYU transfers before, partially because it is such a large group. I haven't gotten anything from CLS yet, but I really wouldn't know how to choose if I had to.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

mileslibertatis wrote:I have not heard anything bad about NYU transfers before, partially because it is such a large group. I haven't gotten anything from CLS yet, but I really wouldn't know how to choose if I had to.

Again, I have not gotten into CLS, but in preparing myself for making the decision, I think - at least for transfers - it comes down to Ivy League Prestige vs. Living in the Village/More of a PI Reputation. I'm going with NYU because while the Ivy league cred is nice for impressing Aunts/Uncles, the two schools are treated essentially the same by legal employers, and that is who I care more about. Since I'd like to enjoy the city more while I'm living there (it's a major reason I'm going there instead of say, Penn), I'm going with NYU.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:05 pm

But I want to be the Dean of Harvard Law School and/or a Supreme Court Justice by the time I'm 34 (so I can run for President at 35, of course). Which school?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:But I want to be the Dean of Harvard Law School and/or a Supreme Court Justice by the time I'm 34 (so I can run for President at 35, of course). Which school?

Princeton.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

The elusive Princeton Law School... when I was in the Army this dolt of a JAG officer told us how nervous she was waiting for her decision letter from Princeton Law. She went to Chapman or some other TTTT school...

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:The elusive Princeton Law School... when I was in the Army this dolt of a JAG officer told us how nervous she was waiting for her decision letter from Princeton Law. She went to Chapman or some other TTTT school...

Dude, Princeton is so secretive that us regular people can't know about it. It's like the Area 51 of law schools. I'm jealous of its students.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 pm

I just checked and Chapman is actually TTT, so sorry to any Chapman people who are observing.

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm being a little neurotic with this question, but aren't we all? NYU received my transcripts (last missing requirements) on 7/12. I emailed to confirm receipt and was told to rely on the status checker. Boxes became checked on 7/13. My status has been stuck on "7/2 processing" this entire time.

How concerned should I be? I don't want to harass the adcomm and get dinged because of my impatience, so I'm wary of emailing or calling again. However, I feel like my status should say "complete" by now.

Did you guys have a "complete" stage before U/R? Anybody else in a similar situation-- all boxes checked but still processing?

fu2009

Postby fu2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

My law school transcript was "lost in the mail" twice. I ordered one and picked it up last Friday to take up there myself. While I was there, I confirmed with them that my application was complete. That was around 2:30 on Friday. My application is still processing and the law school transcript box is still unchecked.

Lesson: it's all good - don't worry about it - they are probably just busy working on a batch of applications. :)

tchan4269

Postby tchan4269 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm

forestgirl wrote:I'm being a little neurotic with this question, but aren't we all? NYU received my transcripts (last missing requirements) on 7/12. I emailed to confirm receipt and was told to rely on the status checker. Boxes became checked on 7/13. My status has been stuck on "7/2 processing" this entire time.

How concerned should I be? I don't want to harass the adcomm and get dinged because of my impatience, so I'm wary of emailing or calling again. However, I feel like my status should say "complete" by now.

Did you guys have a "complete" stage before U/R? Anybody else in a similar situation-- all boxes checked but still processing?

My boxes were all checked off for a day maybe two before my app went UR on 7/13 from a 7/2 processing status.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:00 pm

You guys are right that the differences between NYU and CLS are very much nullified at the transfer stage. Whether one places 5 or 10% more into biglaw doesn't matter since transfers aren't on the margin where it would be relevant. At both schools, transfers clean up at OCI with top firms. I have many classmates who transferred with me to NYU and I have some who transferred to CLS. There is no difference in the calibur of firms we are with this summer (and yes, every transfer from my old school who transferred up to NYU or CLS is employed). The same firms interview at both, so access to firms isn't an issue.

For transfers, moreso than entering 1L students, it should come down to things other than job placement. Which neighborhood/area do you like more? Which one has more extensive courses/clinics in your area of interest?

Honestly, many transfers just go with the school that accepts them first. I went to visit NYU when I got in, loved it, and put down my deposit. CLS hadn't yet responded, but I knew NYU worked for me, and that CLS, even if they accepted me, wouldn't offer me anything additional that would counterbalance the benefit of having my plans set without waiting any longer.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm

So, no news from NYU today? Did anyone even update to 7/16?

etk2103

Postby etk2103 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

what forum topic should i look for to see the dates that NYU sent out admits/dings for transfers last year? can't seem to find it...

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:So, no news from NYU today? Did anyone even update to 7/16?

Nothing yet. At this point, I'm not expecting anything for today. Could be wrong, and I hope I am.

pballer

Postby pballer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Last edited by pballer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:00 pm

pballer wrote:I went from processing 6/19 to UR 7/16 today

Wow. About time they got to your app. Crazy how long everything takes.

Return to “Transfers”