NYU Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
oscarpic

Re: NYU Transfers

Postby oscarpic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
oscarpic wrote:T2, Top 2%
stuck at U/R 7/6, hoping to see some movement today...

Was that your first UR?

No. Submitted app 6/28. App processing 7/2. Then UR 7/3, then U/R 7/6.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

oscarpic wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:

Was that your first UR?

Just curious, in what region is your school? It seems like that has mattered in some cases so far.

oscarpic

Postby oscarpic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
oscarpic wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:

Was that your first UR?

Just curious, in what region is your school? It seems like that has mattered in some cases so far.

School's in the NYC area. How has it seemed to matter? Please elaborate--

arigoldwannabe

Postby arigoldwannabe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 am

UR 7/11. This is my first UR.

School in the 50s. Top 3%.

candytex

Postby candytex » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 am

oscarpic wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:

[/quote]

I was "presumably" admitted yesterday, and I am at a T2 in NYC with a rank in the top 3% of my class... there are several people on here who have better ranks than I do from better schools than the one I attend... so I am guessing that is why it probably matters. I will say I have a strong resume/extracurriculars and had good recs/personal statement... but the fact that I go to a school in NYC that tends to send a handful of transfer students to NYU probably was a controlling factor.. that is if I have in fact been admitted ;)

oscarpic

Postby oscarpic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

candytex wrote:
oscarpic wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:

I was "presumably" admitted yesterday, and I am at a T2 in NYC with a rank in the top 3% of my class... there are several people on here who have better ranks than I do from better schools than the one I attend... so I am guessing that is why it probably matters. I will say I have a strong resume/extracurriculars and had good recs/personal statement... but the fact that I go to a school in NYC that tends to send a handful of transfer students to NYU probably was a controlling factor.. that is if I have in fact been admitted ;)[/quote]

Seems we have similar stats. Hope you're right! When did you submit your app, btw?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am

Candytex, you have definitely been admitted, and congrats on that! I hope they make some room for us non-NYC residents. I'd love to become one, at least for a couple years.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 am

Just noticed all of my boxes disappeared except a tuition deposit received box. Might have happened yesterday. I guess that means I'm in?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am

PinkCow wrote:Just noticed all of my boxes disappeared except a tuition deposit received box. Might have happened yesterday. I guess that means I'm in?

I think so. You got accepted to H though, right? Withdraw please! lol I want to go to NYC!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Just noticed all of my boxes disappeared except a tuition deposit received box. Might have happened yesterday. I guess that means I'm in?

I think so. You got accepted to H though, right? Withdraw please! lol I want to go to NYC!

I will soon I promise. Question, though, does anyone know if they send out a big swanky admissions box like they do for regular JD admissions?

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 am

PinkCow wrote:I will soon I promise. Question, though, does anyone know if they send out a big swanky admissions box like they do for regular JD admissions?

It's not a box, or at least, mine was not. It included a folder with information, the faculty book, and the latest edition of the law school's magazine.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am

NO BOX? What a TTTT

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 am

shock259 wrote:NO BOX? What a TTTT

Haha. I just remember stories of the revered NYU swag box that all admits got last year.

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

IN!

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

nadopretz wrote:IN!

Congrats! How did you find out?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 am

Seriously, details. Always repost your stats, explain your date status changes, how you found out, and list any other additional information you may think is relevant. Or I will call that school and I will tell them you had an alcohol candle party.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

nadopretz wrote:Thought I would chime in with my stats...

UR 7/6 --> UR 7/10
Top 15% T14

Looked like a shoe-in.

transferpotential00

Postby transferpotential00 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Assume I'm in. Got the tuition deposit box today.

UR 6/28 --> 7/2 --> 7/10 (box showed up on 7/11)

Will be withdrawing later today. Sending my letters out after work today. It's been a whirlwind!

Good luck all!

nadopretz

Postby nadopretz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:

Seriously, details. Always repost your stats, explain your date status changes, how you found out, and list any other additional information you may think is relevant. Or I will call that school and I will tell them you had an alcohol candle party.

Haha, sorry! 15% at T14, package in mail, and deposit box in status checker. Good news for everyone -- I am pretty sure I am going to say no. Husband and I talked it over, and it is a logistical nightmare given recent events, so I think I am going to stay put at my current school. I am going to go back to my alcohol candle party now.

TFR

Postby TFR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Is anyone in at NYU definitely attending?

BobLoblaw9000

Postby BobLoblaw9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm 99% sure I'm attending. Applied elsewhere (CLS, HLS) and haven't heard, but would like to go to NYU anyway.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Congrats, guys. Ill be one of your 3L transfer mentors when you get here if you decide to attend. We have a whole student group of past transfers who help integrate the new transfers into the law school smoothly. NYU is incredibly welcoming to transfers, which really helped me along the way. Let me know if you have any burning questions. Transferring here was probably one of the smartest choices I ever made, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:53 pm

BobLoblaw9000 wrote:I'm 99% sure I'm attending. Applied elsewhere (CLS, HLS) and haven't heard, but would like to go to NYU anyway.

I'm likely here too. Because of long-standing family plans which would be logistically close to impossible to change, I'd need to miss the first two days of Columbia's EIP, so it would be foolish to transfer there when NYU is a peer school. After missing both waves of admits, HLS is likely out, and Yale was always a complete long shot anyway.

To all the Penn hopefuls, I still need to talk the decision through with my SO, and if I stick with it, I will withdraw from Penn.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:55 pm

kaiser wrote:Congrats, guys. Ill be one of your 3L transfer mentors when you get here if you decide to attend. We have a whole student group of past transfers who help integrate the new transfers into the law school smoothly. NYU is incredibly welcoming to transfers, which really helped me along the way. Let me know if you have any burning questions. Transferring here was probably one of the smartest choices I ever made, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.

I got a call from someone who transferred out of my school last year, who was extremely nice and offered thoughtful answers. I really get the impression that NYU is extremely friendly to transfers. One thing he mentioned is that since NYU requires 1Ls to take Admin law, basically all the transfers wind up taking Admin together as a "section," so we'd all get to know each other. On the other hand, taking a class comprised exclusively of top performers sounds terrifying.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
kaiser wrote:Congrats, guys. Ill be one of your 3L transfer mentors when you get here if you decide to attend. We have a whole student group of past transfers who help integrate the new transfers into the law school smoothly. NYU is incredibly welcoming to transfers, which really helped me along the way. Let me know if you have any burning questions. Transferring here was probably one of the smartest choices I ever made, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.

I got a call from someone who transferred out of my school last year, who was extremely nice and offered thoughtful answers. I really get the impression that NYU is extremely friendly to transfers. One thing he mentioned is that since NYU requires 1Ls to take Admin law, basically all the transfers wind up taking Admin together as a "section," so we'd all get to know each other. On the other hand, taking a class comprised exclusively of top performers sounds terrifying.

I actaully didn't take Admin with the others since my old school had the 1Ls take an equivalent class. Yes, Id say its a great way to meet new people who are in the same boat, and for that alone its worth it. Sure, you are on a curve with some top performers, but the playing field is even so I wouldn't imagine that it would force people down or anything.

Return to “Transfers”