UCLA transfer thread 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lasers

Gold

Re: UCLA transfer thread 2012

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 pm

congrats to everyone who got in so far!

they're going by a rolling basis so when you get a decision probably depends on when you went complete.

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:33 pm

In! Phone interview and acceptance same day. T2, 7/309,

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 am

its seems like they accept one at a time. I am doubtful I will get in 37/256, but I am also doubtful that some of these students wont have a better option.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:In! Phone interview and acceptance same day. T2, 7/309,
UCLA requires a phone interview? I never saw anything about that...

LawStudent4567

New

Post by LawStudent4567 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 am

Still think its worth throwing in an application guys? Didn't know if it would be a waste of money this late...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:23 am

LawStudent4567 wrote:Still think its worth throwing in an application guys? Didn't know if it would be a waste of money this late...
i don't see why not? if you can complete your app by next week (i believe the deadline is the 5th) you should be fine.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:29 pm

checking in.
just submitted today, decided last week to apply.
we shall see.

SanDiegoLaw

New

Post by SanDiegoLaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Whats your stats if you dont mind providing?

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 pm

SanDiegoLaw wrote:Whats your stats if you dont mind providing?
#44/10%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
#44/10%
Where else are you applying? Throw an app to berkeley?

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Lasers wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:
#44/10%
Where else are you applying? Throw an app to berkeley?
nah, i'm kind of kicking myself for it. part of it was that i figured from investigating that i didn't have the numbers, and the other part was being too lazy to write the PS on time. :wink:

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Last edited by crossingforHYS on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:wanting to transfer down from a T14 to UCLA--any advice on if this is a good idea??

want to work in LA

I think TCR here is that transferring down is usually pointless/a bad idea, particularly coming from a T14, as those are likely to allow for greater geographic mobility anyway. That said, it seems that the more empirical thing to do would be to look at your particular school's placement in LA and talk to career services about alum connections, etc. in LA. If placement is poor, UCLA might be a more attractive option. OTOH, if you have decent grades, mass mailing LA firms could be a viable option, and you wouldn't need to transfer.

Also, I could be 100% wrong, so take the above with the requisite acknowledgement of the TLS echo-chamber effect.

In unrelated news, UCLA has received my app. Now just waiting to go complete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SanDiegoLaw

New

Post by SanDiegoLaw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Same. Went complete last weds. Emailed admissions friday and said my file has been sent to admissions committee for review...long shot for me but i guess you never know...

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm

well, no email about being complete but in via phone call just now.

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:41 pm

reasonable troll wrote:well, no email about being complete but in via phone call just now.
The same thing happened to me. I just put down my thousand bucks. Pretty excited! Only Berkeley could stop me now.

usctoucla

New

Post by usctoucla » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm

reasonable troll wrote:well, no email about being complete but in via phone call just now.
Wow congratulations. Thats remarkable: submitted on Friday and in on Monday? Nicely done!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:48 pm

usctoucla wrote:
Wow congratulations. Thats remarkable: submitted on Friday and in on Monday? Nicely done!

thanks! yeah, i was surprised about how quick it was as well. now i just have to make up my mind about whether or not to go :/

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
usctoucla wrote:

thanks! yeah, i was surprised about how quick it was as well. now i just have to make up my mind about whether or not to go :/
wish law review decisions came out earlier to help decide. you probably graded on, however, so that's something to consider.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Lasers wrote: wish law review decisions came out earlier to help decide. you probably graded on, however, so that's something to consider.
if i remember correctly, only the top 4 from each section grade on - i was 12th in mine. apparently section 4 is clogging up the top 10% with overachievers.

re law review, it does seem like they should have been able to handle it more quickly, but only a week now. friday the 13th... yikes. i think at this point if i don't get HLJ that seals the deal for UCLA.

which school(s) are you trying to decide on?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:22 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
Lasers wrote: wish law review decisions came out earlier to help decide. you probably graded on, however, so that's something to consider.
if i remember correctly, only the top 4 from each section grade on - i was 12th in mine. apparently section 4 is clogging up the top 10% with overachievers.

re law review, it does seem like they should have been able to handle it more quickly, but only a week now. friday the 13th... yikes. i think at this point if i don't get HLJ that seals the deal for UCLA.

which school(s) are you trying to decide on?
usc. maybe ucla if i get in.

also, while only the top 4 purely grade on, top 10% goes a long way i've heard when they account for your grades. also, i'd bet at least 5% of the top 15% will transfer out. very possibly more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 pm

welp, just withdrew my application. i'm grateful ucla made it so easy by offering a paltry sum in need-based aid. good luck to those still waiting. it really is a great school with a beautiful campus (did my undergrad there). i'll be thinking of it each time a crackhead asks me for bart fare this fall.

strokes4ever

New

Post by strokes4ever » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm

any updates here?

reasonable troll, did you get your call after 5pm PST? sorry to hear they didn't offer more aid, but Hastings is a good place and you're in a very good position for OCI and HLJ. Did you apply anywhere else, by the way? And do you intend to practice in the Bay Area or in LA/OC? In any case, good luck to you!

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 pm

strokes4ever wrote:any updates here?

reasonable troll, did you get your call after 5pm PST? sorry to hear they didn't offer more aid, but Hastings is a good place and you're in a very good position for OCI and HLJ. Did you apply anywhere else, by the way? And do you intend to practice in the Bay Area or in LA/OC? In any case, good luck to you!

i think the call came ~ 3pm PST. i didn't apply anywhere else, basically for the same reason i didn't accept at ucla - i live here for free and can't justify taking on the additional debt anywhere else. i would have applied to berkeley but i was under the semi-informed impression that you need about 3-5% or something really interesting coming from hastings. i'm closer to 9% and about as boring as can be.

i intend to practice wherever i'm offered a transactional/tax job that pays market, or something resembling market. i'm planning on bidding LA, SF/SV and NY and seeing what i get, if anything. backup plan is absconding to south america to escape debt.

gl w/ucla! i imagine they'll have to get back to everyone soon - i think their OCI deadline is july 20.

LawGuy2014

New

Post by LawGuy2014 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Got in today at 3pm (Pacific Time). Would like some advice--Top 15% at BC/Fordham with a scholarship worth half my tuition. However, I have decided over the past year that I want to pursue entertainment law, and want to practice in Los Angeles (where my family and friends are located.

Think the transfer is worth it? UCLA has always been my top choice for law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”