Top 5% (#3) at T4 - help out a bit

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LazinessPerSe

Top 5% (#3) at T4 - help out a bit

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I know I posted in the "what are my chances" thread, but spring grades came out and I'd really appreciate some more feedback. Thanks in advance for your help.

I go to Elon Law, a T4 with a good reputation based on its parent school. That said, the law school is a T4. I'd like to go somewhere where I can have a decent shot. Arrow's advice says T1 is a good shot and maybe T14? But what do you guys think?

3.8 GPA, 3/125, T4

UVa? (I'm from VA)
W&M?
W&L?
GULC?
GW?
...NYU?

Where else should I look reasonably?

CanadianWolf

Re: Top 5% (#3) at T4 - help out a bit

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Where do you want to work after law school ?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

You're in the top 2.5% if you're #3 out of a class of 125. Apply to Virginia, Duke, Georgetown if targeting the North Carolina-Virginia area.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 pm

USN JAG is the top desire. My father retired recently as a CDR and I enjoyed the lifestyle of the Navy. Have a SA with a Fortune 300 in-house, and it's neat. Probably would like to practice in Norfolk / Raleigh / DC / Charleston (SC)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Seems as if Elon law has worked well for you so far. One of Virginia, Duke & Georgetown should accept you as a transfer student, in my opinion. Also apply to Wash & Lee and Wm. & Mary as back-ups.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Applied to...

UVA
W&M
W&L
GULC
George Mason
American
NYU
Fordham

Will update with acceptances / rejections so others can have the data.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:32 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Applied to...

UVA
W&M
W&L
GULC
George Mason
American
NYU
Fordham

Will update with acceptances / rejections so others can have the data.

Why American and not GW? Also might want to consider tossing an app at UNC or Richmond. You should definitely apply to Duke. NYU is a good reach, but you should target the bottom half of the T14 more aggressively than only applying to UVA. Best of luck.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Perhaps I'm thinking UNC, but I thought all the NC schools had agreements to not take other NC law students. i.e. I go to Elon and UNC says it won't look at my app. I should really go look at what Duke says instead of assuming...

[Edit] Duke doesn't say a word about not liking NC school people, but UNC sure does.

American is the safe. I need to get out of Elon. GW seemed like a good option too, thanks for the tip. I've heard bad things about Richmond. Just rumor, or worth the $71 app?

Return to “Transfers”