Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mileslibertatis

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:42 pm

This whole job thing is annoying.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm

quiver wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Do a lot of people fly up for that and then move the rest of their lives later? Moving from central Texas is not a pick-up-and-go affair...
Not entirely sure. I'm sure it depends on your current living situation, your living arrangements in NYC, etc. It's only 2 days before EIP anyway so if you're planning on doing that, then you'll need to either get a hotel room for a week, stay at your new place in the city, or find someone to stay with.

Man I should have researched this - I just assumed Columbia was like everyone else - but if you aren't available for EIP is there even any sense in transferring?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm

No law review call for me :(

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
quiver wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Do a lot of people fly up for that and then move the rest of their lives later? Moving from central Texas is not a pick-up-and-go affair...
Not entirely sure. I'm sure it depends on your current living situation, your living arrangements in NYC, etc. It's only 2 days before EIP anyway so if you're planning on doing that, then you'll need to either get a hotel room for a week, stay at your new place in the city, or find someone to stay with.

Man I should have researched this - I just assumed Columbia was like everyone else - but if you aren't available for EIP is there even any sense in transferring?
Not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but if not, I think the answer depends on what your goals are. If you are gunning for clerkships or prestigious gov/PI, then the transfer would still make sense (depending on other factors). Additionally, you could mass mail firms and explain how you couldn't get to EIP but that you're transferring to CLS and would like to interview.

Here's a possible option for those needing a hotel for EIP: http://www.radiocityapts.com/ It is relatively cheap and only a few blocks away from the Doubletree.

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm

It took them FOREVER to process my transcript. I hope I get a decision from them in a decent amount of time.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Xferr wrote:It took them FOREVER to process my transcript. I hope I get a decision from them in a decent amount of time.

+1

My Dean's Cert/Official transcript were mailed the exact same day to NYU an Columbia, but I'm under review at NYU and still "incomplete" at CLS. If NYU has the documents, I assume CLS does too, so I guess their processing is just a little slower. Blah.

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
Xferr wrote:It took them FOREVER to process my transcript. I hope I get a decision from them in a decent amount of time.

+1

My Dean's Cert/Official transcript were mailed the exact same day to NYU an Columbia, but I'm under review at NYU and still "incomplete" at CLS. If NYU has the documents, I assume CLS does too, so I guess their processing is just a little slower. Blah.

NYU hasn't even sent me a status checker. I should probably call them. They requested my LSAC report....

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 am

Xferr wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:

+1

NYU hasn't even sent me a status checker. I should probably call them. They requested my LSAC report....

You should receive your status checker ID/pass when the school notifies you that you have officially submitted your application. If you have yet to receive that e-mail and you submitted your application more than, say, 2-3 days ago, then yes, I would e-mail them. GL

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

I am on the TVSO (transfer and visiting students board). We are trying to arrange some sort of crash on our couch deal with transfer students from last year (i.e. rising 3Ls) - no guarantees though.

I myself lived in a hotel for about 2 weeks while doing EIP, call backs and looking for a place to live. And I was working in Chicago that summer, and still had an apartment at my previous law school in the Midwest. It's hectic, but possible, and in my case was defintely worth it.

Good luck in the admissions process and for those who decide to come see you at orientation

NYC1983

Postby NYC1983 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the info- very helpful. What are the EIP dates?

NYCtransferhopeful12

Postby NYCtransferhopeful12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 am

Does anyone know the exact dates for EIP and Callback Week (or the equivalent)? Also are these different for transfers than for regular students? In fact, how does EIP work for transfer student if bidding already takes place before the transfer is admitted? Thanks.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am

EIP Aug 9,10,13,14

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:58 pm

The lottery for EIP is not run until after transfer students have submitted their bid lists, so you aren't disadvantaged. It is the same for transfer and native.

NYCtransferhopeful12

Postby NYCtransferhopeful12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:13 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:The lottery for EIP is not run until after transfer students have submitted their bid lists, so you aren't disadvantaged. It is the same for transfer and native.

But doesn't Columbia accept transfers into mid-August? When do the interview schedules come out?

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't recall exactly when schedules came out, but it was probably a week or two before. Not too long. And while they may accept students in August, the vast majority come out in mid-july. I'd say August acceptances would be filling spots that weren't accepted, but I'm not sure tbh.

But I doubt they would accept you if you weren't able to participate in EIP, and if you weren't able to participate I probably wouldn't transfer tbh.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

My Letter of Good Standing was mailed exactly two weeks ago and it is still unchecked in the requirements

Granted, they may not have received it until that Monday, but that means they haven't processed it in 10 business days and counting...

Frustrating.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 am

I sent mine over 3 weeks ago, and I sent in my LSAC application about a week and a half ago. I sent them an email last week explaining this. The dean's letter still hasn't been added to my account. I don't think they are in any hurry over there.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 am

My transcript is still unchecked even though I am listed as complete.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:32 am

mileslibertatis wrote:My transcript is still unchecked even though I am listed as complete.

Really?

I'm missing both the aforementioned Letter of Good Standing and my transcript, and mine is 'incomplete.'

They should certainly have both, but I guess they just haven't processed them yet. Then again, their deadline is 7/15, so maybe it's only about now that they're even starting to look at any applicants, which is perhaps why the processing is lagging a little (and with his being a weird holiday week)

I don't think we've heard anyone on TLS get a decision from CLS (good / bad / WL) yet, right? So, I guess I'll be patient.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 am

I haven't heard of any CLS decisions either. But I am personally averse to phone calls, even when I think it is a wise decision to call and ask. What if they flat out say they haven't received it and you have to get another one sent?

opX

Postby opX » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm

still waiting on Dean's Cert and Transcript... sent in last week at the LATEST.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 pm

App went 'complete.' I think it took about a week and a half between receiving my transcript/dean's cert and CLS processing it -- just fyi for others waiting for something to get processed.

CLS' status checker says that it does not notify via status checker, but rather by mail or e-mail. Has anyone here received a decision yet (be it accept/ding/WL)? I'm just curious whether you receive an e-mail regardless, if you only receive an e-mail if accepted, etc..

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 am

I have a couple of questions for anyone who did the write-on competition for transfer students applying to Columbia (I know at least one person in here participated):

1. Did you get a confirmation email from them when you submitted your write-on packet? I didn't, and didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm wondering. . .

2. Did anyone get an acceptance call from the law review? From what I have gleaned from reading this thread, CLS has yet to make any offers of admission to any potential transfer students, so I'm wondering if the law review is waiting until people have been admitted to extend offers.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm

They emailed me that they received my dean's letter and official transcript. Finally. Still hasn't updated on my status checker, though.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

My transcript box never got checked, even though I went complete. It is still unchecked and the site itself says I am complete.

Return to “Transfers”