Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Hoping to hear some good news today. It would be a first news from anyone this cycle. Don't let me down, Columbia!

ditto. edit: well, not "first news"....but first good news.


It would literally be the first news for me. I thought being #1 would make things easier. Boy, was I wrong.

Edit: I did get a full scholarship offer from my current school and it's the best in the city, so I guess I shouldn't feel disappointed if it doesn't work out at any of these schools. I probably would though...

InSport
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby InSport » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Hoping to hear some good news today. It would be a first news from anyone this cycle. Don't let me down, Columbia!

ditto. edit: well, not "first news"....but first good news.


It would literally be the first news for me. I thought being #1 would make things easier. Boy, was I wrong.

Edit: I did get a full scholarship offer from my current school and it's the best in the city, so I guess I shouldn't feel disappointed if it doesn't work out at any of these schools. I probably would though...


Canesfan - Given that you're #1 at a T60, I'm sure you'll at least get into either NYU or CLS, or both. It's just a grueling, stressful process, but I don't think the fact that you haven't heard is an indication one way or the other. It's still early by these schools' standards.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

InSport wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Hoping to hear some good news today. It would be a first news from anyone this cycle. Don't let me down, Columbia!

ditto. edit: well, not "first news"....but first good news.


It would literally be the first news for me. I thought being #1 would make things easier. Boy, was I wrong.

Edit: I did get a full scholarship offer from my current school and it's the best in the city, so I guess I shouldn't feel disappointed if it doesn't work out at any of these schools. I probably would though...


Canesfan - Given that you're #1 at a T60, I'm sure you'll at least get into either NYU or CLS, or both. It's just a grueling, stressful process, but I don't think the fact that you haven't heard is an indication one way or the other. It's still early by these schools' standards.


Yeah, I guess you're right. Columbia only recently began admitting people, so I'm not stressing out too much about them. NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. Thanks for the calming words. It's hard to work being so stressed, but not knowing whether or not you need to move 1200 miles in about a month is stressful.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Columbia only recently began admitting people, so I'm not stressing out too much about them. NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. Thanks for the calming words. It's hard to work being so stressed, but not knowing whether or not you need to move 1200 miles in about a month is stressful.

This is what's stressing me out the most. What region are you in (if you don't mind me asking), Canes? I live in TX, so I'd be driving about 1600 miles if by some miracle I make it to CLS/NYU.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Columbia only recently began admitting people, so I'm not stressing out too much about them. NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. Thanks for the calming words. It's hard to work being so stressed, but not knowing whether or not you need to move 1200 miles in about a month is stressful.

This is what's stressing me out the most. What region are you in (if you don't mind me asking), Canes? I live in TX, so I'd be driving about 1600 miles if by some miracle I make it to CLS/NYU.



So Fla. The worst thing would be not being able to go to Heat games. I have season tix. That's the downside lol

User avatar
Certiorari
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Certiorari » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Columbia only recently began admitting people, so I'm not stressing out too much about them. NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. Thanks for the calming words. It's hard to work being so stressed, but not knowing whether or not you need to move 1200 miles in about a month is stressful.

This is what's stressing me out the most. What region are you in (if you don't mind me asking), Canes? I live in TX, so I'd be driving about 1600 miles if by some miracle I make it to CLS/NYU.


Hate to add to the stress, but it's really more like two-and-a-half weeks. Orientation is at the beginning of August, and OCI isn't too long after that as I recall. I don't want to travel to NYC and back multiple times; it'd be just about as expensive as moving there in August for orientation. So yeah, I'm with you on the wanting to know ASAP thing. . .

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

Certiorari wrote:
InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right. Columbia only recently began admitting people, so I'm not stressing out too much about them. NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. Thanks for the calming words. It's hard to work being so stressed, but not knowing whether or not you need to move 1200 miles in about a month is stressful.

This is what's stressing me out the most. What region are you in (if you don't mind me asking), Canes? I live in TX, so I'd be driving about 1600 miles if by some miracle I make it to CLS/NYU.


Hate to add to the stress, but it's really more like two-and-a-half weeks. Orientation is at the beginning of August, and OCI isn't too long after that as I recall. I don't want to travel to NYC and back multiple times; it'd be just about as expensive as moving there in August for orientation. So yeah, I'm with you on the wanting to know ASAP thing. . .


I was planning on staying in a hotel. I don't think I could pull off a move with all my stuff in that short period of time.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 am

Transfer orientation is August 7th, EIP starts August 9th.

I'm praying my university housing works out. Or else I'll probably be in a hotel during EIP until I can find something. That'll add up fast.

casedown
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby casedown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 am

[quote="canesfan1986"]NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts.[\quote]

Hi canes, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on NYU and Columbia for a couple days and thought I'd speak up. My fiance just got a really good promotion in the city and I'd like to join her (we've been doing long distance for 2 years and 2 more sounds like hell).

I think the waiting might be worse than a rejection, because at least then you can get on with your life and start making plans.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 am

casedown wrote:NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts.

Hi canes, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on NYU and Columbia for a couple days and thought I'd speak up. My fiance just got a really good promotion in the city and I'd like to join her (we've been doing long distance for 2 years and 2 more sounds like hell).

I think the waiting might be worse than a rejection, because at least then you can get on with your life and start making plans.


I'm about to feel your pain. My gf is here with me and it would take time for her to be able to move and find a job. Right now we are all just wasting valuable time waiting. Idk why they cut it so closely to the time you have to be there for OCI.

User avatar
Certiorari
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Certiorari » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 am

casedown wrote:NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts.

Hi canes, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on NYU and Columbia for a couple days and thought I'd speak up. My fiance just got a really good promotion in the city and I'd like to join her (we've been doing long distance for 2 years and 2 more sounds like hell).

I think the waiting might be worse than a rejection, because at least then you can get on with your life and start making plans.


"The waiting is the hardest part." — Thomas Earl Petty

casedown
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby casedown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
casedown wrote:NYU, on the other hand, is driving me nuts.

Hi canes, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on NYU and Columbia for a couple days and thought I'd speak up. My fiance just got a really good promotion in the city and I'd like to join her (we've been doing long distance for 2 years and 2 more sounds like hell).

I think the waiting might be worse than a rejection, because at least then you can get on with your life and start making plans.


I'm about to feel your pain. My gf is here with me and it would take time for her to be able to move and find a job. Right now we are all just wasting valuable time waiting. Idk why they cut it so closely to the time you have to be there for OCI.


Yeah, and it isn't like you can just throw together a bid list and prepare for interviews either. That takes time and research - which might be hard to do if one is sleeping on couches and looking for apartments.

I guess this is the life we chose :|

mdfreeman
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby mdfreeman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 am

Just called CLS admissions to ask for an update on if my app is even complete. They said that transcripts and dean's certs are usually the last box to check off which is a relief. Going to get back to me later today to let me know what my status is.

Not sure if this is particularly helpful to anyone but figured I'd just throw it out there. Got into NYU as well so kind of interested to just know if I even get into CLS at this point.

TFR
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby TFR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:13 pm

I wonder what the stall is on decisions. Even if they are waiting for deposits, they should have made around 50 offers already, and from this thread it looks like they made nowhere near there.

In recent years it was one large wave, it doesnt look that way this year.

transferfromut
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby transferfromut » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Hey,

How fast is the app turn over? My app only went complete today. No idea why... I've already pretty much received decisions from all other schools I applied.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Sooo.....all is quiet here today....(here's hoping it starts up now)....

jjkhicks
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby jjkhicks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Sooo.....all is quiet here today....(here's hoping it starts up now)....


No dice I guess. I have similar stats to you Canesfan- number one at a school in the 50's. I went complete in mid-June, and still nothing. Hopefully tomorrow will be our day...

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby PrayingforHYS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Has anyone called CLS to ask what the heck they're doing over there?

I know that TLS doesn't comprise *that* large of a percentage of the applicant body, but we've barely heard anything here. Meanwhile, at the NYU thread, there are probably 20-some people who have been accepted, which could be 1/3-1/4 of what NYU has admitted to date.

Has CLS even dinged anybody yet? Doesn't look like it. Idk, maybe there will be a HUGE flurry of activity the next three days since apparently some, if not all, of the recent admits have until tomorrow to send in their deposits

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:12 pm

jjkhicks wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Sooo.....all is quiet here today....(here's hoping it starts up now)....


No dice I guess. I have similar stats to you Canesfan- number one at a school in the 50's. I went complete in mid-June, and still nothing. Hopefully tomorrow will be our day...


So it seems I'm not the only one who cursed out the Adcomms in their PS. Lol. Glad I'm not the only one. Misery loves company.

That said, I hope tomorrow is the day, but I'll remain extremely pessimistic until told otherwise.

transferfromut
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby transferfromut » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:26 pm

so email for ding and mail for admit?

jjkhicks
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby jjkhicks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
jjkhicks wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Sooo.....all is quiet here today....(here's hoping it starts up now)....


No dice I guess. I have similar stats to you Canesfan- number one at a school in the 50's. I went complete in mid-June, and still nothing. Hopefully tomorrow will be our day...


So it seems I'm not the only one who cursed out the Adcomms in their PS. Lol. Glad I'm not the only one. Misery loves company.

That said, I hope tomorrow is the day, but I'll remain extremely pessimistic until told otherwise.


We were supposed to write a PS??? Kidding....

Try to stay positive and keep putting good vibes out there. I know it's tough and I am stressed out of my mind too. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us- and everyone else here. There's room for all of us, right?! :)

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby PrayingforHYS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

transferfromut wrote:so email for ding and mail for admit?


at least a few admits have said they received an e-mail with the subject line "ADMIT" ... or something to that effect. So, I think you get an e-mail regardless of your decision. To that end, though, I don't recall anyone who has been dinged yet, so who knows.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:at least a few admits have said they received an e-mail with the subject line "ADMIT" ... or something to that effect. So, I think you get an e-mail regardless of your decision. To that end, though, I don't recall anyone who has been dinged yet, so who knows.


I got an email that said "Admit" with a scanned PDF of the letter sent to my house.

And I was accepted on 7/16 with a deposit deadline of 7/20. Maybe they may be using a slow trickle of acceptances coupled with quick deposit deadlines to make sure they don't over enroll the class. Or something.

Xferr
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby Xferr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

I called them today about my "completion pending." They said just sit tight until I get an email telling me that they're missing stuff. How did you guys get them to tell you what they had in the file? The guy I talked to wouldn't budge.

Columbia is the one stressing me out the most. I can't tell if it's because I've figured out it's my (realistic - lol H/S) top choice or because I can't tell if they're even looking at my app yet. Maybe both.

jjkhicks
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby jjkhicks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Xferr wrote:I called them today about my "completion pending." They said just sit tight until I get an email telling me that they're missing stuff. How did you guys get them to tell you what they had in the file? The guy I talked to wouldn't budge.

Columbia is the one stressing me out the most. I can't tell if it's because I've figured out it's my (realistic - lol H/S) top choice or because I can't tell if they're even looking at my app yet. Maybe both.


Keep checking your My Columbia account. Mine shows a list of all required documents and everything is checked off. A few people on this board have had their file go complete with some boxes unchecked though. Not sure if that helps. Good luck!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.