Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
canesfan1986

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:16 am

Dying to hear back. Anyone think today might be the day?

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Dying to hear back. Anyone think today might be the day?

I'm thinking today or tomorrow, probably tomorrow though. It will most likely be whenever is least convenient for us.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

lockiller wrote:Anyone knows when the bidding for EIP starts for natives at Columbia? Maybe we can know about when we should expect admissions from that date.
I think the first wave of admissions from Columbia should come this week (presumably Friday?).

Bidding started on July 6 and ends tomorrow at 5pm EST.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

I think Columbia has a reverse Sabbath rule where whatever day you are supposed to be at rest is the only time they are allowed to call.

lockiller

Postby lockiller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

piccolittle wrote:
lockiller wrote:Anyone knows when the bidding for EIP starts for natives at Columbia? Maybe we can know about when we should expect admissions from that date.
I think the first wave of admissions from Columbia should come this week (presumably Friday?).

How about our transfers?

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:21 am

mileslibertatis wrote:I think Columbia has a reverse Sabbath rule where whatever day you are supposed to be at rest is the only time they are allowed to call.

Good chance they have GPS tracking on your phone and wait until you are out of service range, and then call. Then, because they have some sort of no voice mail policy, they wait, forget, and give your spot to somebody else. Then they uncheck a requirement on status checker for good measure.

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 am

piccolittle wrote:

Those accepted to transfer should be able to participate. From their transfer FAQ:

"Early Interview Program

Transfer students are eligible to take part in the Office of Career Services’ Early Interview Program (EIP) for 2L summer associate positions, which occurs in mid-August. In order to participate fully in this five-day program, transfer students must be admitted to the Law School at least one week prior to the start of the program. Admitted transfer applicants must also submit their deposit to the Office of Admissions prior to their participation in EIP. Once these conditions are met, newly admitted transfer students will be able to participate in the program along with the rest of the rising 2L class."

http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... nformation

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

piccolittle wrote:

Oh fuck - really?

The website says: "Transfer students are eligible to take part in the Office of Career Services’ Early Interview Program (EIP) for 2L summer associate positions, which occurs in mid-August. In order to participate fully in this five-day program, transfer students must be admitted to the Law School at least one week prior to the start of the program. "

Do transfers bid differently from continuing students perhaps? Are we disadvantaged?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 am

Something about August and one week prior isn't jiving with bids end tomorrow...

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am

If their EIP process is anything like that at my home law school, they actually have to print everything and package it before sendin it to employers — it's quite a bit of work once bids are made. I bet they just have an earlier deadline for cutrent students so they have more time to do the back-end work. They'll probably then hurry and do the paperwork for transfers once they get it, then send all applications off at the same time.

quiver

Postby quiver » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am

mileslibertatis wrote:Something about August and one week prior isn't jiving with bids end tomorrow...
shock259 wrote:Do transfers bid differently from continuing students perhaps? Are we disadvantaged?
Bidding ends tomorrow only for current Columbia students. Transfers, after they are admitted, will be notified of the time frame for inputting their bids. Transfers are not disadvantaged.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

I think if they were going to pull a Cornell and screw us out of OCI, they would at least make an effort to admit some students before the bidding deadline. I'm not going to worry about it. And I probably won't get in anyway :P

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am

Thinking positive thoughts. They want transfers to be successful, too.

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am

I'm starting to get anxious! Every time I hear an email notification sound from my iPhone or computer, my heart skips a beat. I open my email, looking for good news, and it's usually an ad from Groupon or Gilt. Now, I'm not saying those email's aren't good news, too, but fifty percent off artisan pizza or boxing classes isn't the kind of news I'm hoping for. . .

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am

So anxious. All dings is better than waiting. Need to start planning for the fall, but I still have 6 applications out.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am

Certiorari wrote:I'm starting to get anxious! Every time I hear an email notification sound from my iPhone or computer, my heart skips a beat. I open my email, looking for good news, and it's usually an ad from Groupon or Gilt. Now, I'm not saying those email's aren't good news, too, but fifty percent off artisan pizza or boxing classes isn't the kind of news I'm hoping for. . .

I know. Actually, I've been getting pissed at the emails I have been receiving. It's like, stop teasing me already. You're playing with my emotions!

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

canesfan1986 wrote:
Certiorari wrote:I'm starting to get anxious! Every time I hear an email notification sound from my iPhone or computer, my heart skips a beat. I open my email, looking for good news, and it's usually an ad from Groupon or Gilt. Now, I'm not saying those email's aren't good news, too, but fifty percent off artisan pizza or boxing classes isn't the kind of news I'm hoping for. . .

I know. Actually, I've been getting pissed at the emails I have been receiving. It's like, stop teasing me already. You're playing with my emotions!

During the second wave of HLS admits, I got two emails from my softball coach asking for money. I almost punched my monitor off the desk.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

I have unsubscribed from so many things...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 pm

forestgirl wrote:Thinking positive thoughts. They want transfers to be successful, too.

Yeah sorry guys, I was just responding to the idea that transfer admissions were related to the EIP bid deadline for natives. They don't run the lotteries for EIP or courses until super late anyway (probably the week before EIP).

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:07 pm

FlanSolo wrote:During the second wave of HLS admits, I got two emails from my softball coach asking for money. I almost punched my monitor off the desk.

I hope we get into the same place. I want to have a beer with you.

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm

shock259 wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:During the second wave of HLS admits, I got two emails from my softball coach asking for money. I almost punched my monitor off the desk.

I hope we get into the same place. I want to have a beer with you.

+1 and I hope it's Columbia!

NYC1983

Postby NYC1983 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

If I do get in I'm worried about finding an apartment in time... anyone else?

forestgirl

Postby forestgirl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 pm

If I get in either to Columbia or NYU, I'll probably live in Jersey City or Hoboken and take the PATH. My boyfriend works in Central NJ so we're aiming for middle ground. Plus JC and Hobo are way cheaper, and still very cool cities.

NYC1983

Postby NYC1983 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

forestgirl wrote:If I get in either to Columbia or NYU, I'll probably live in Jersey City or Hoboken and take the PATH. My boyfriend works in Central NJ so we're aiming for middle ground. Plus JC and Hobo are way cheaper, and still very cool cities.

Hobo is awesome... You'd have a sweet commute to NYU but Columbia may not be so fun

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Can you give me a brief explanation about why that is so? Are they in radically different parts of the city?

Return to “Transfers”