Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nadopretz

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Post by nadopretz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Complete *finally* today.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:59 pm

nadopretz wrote:Complete *finally* today.
At least it means they're working on stuff today.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I think its considerate that CLS doesn't have a status checker with dates. It really reduces anxiety levels.

gdizz01

New

Post by gdizz01 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Certiorari wrote:If you forgot to have your UG send one, just call CLS admissions and ask if it's okay if your UG faxes or emails the form. I've had a couple of schools tell me that fax or email is fine.
You can't...I called NYU, Columbia, Penn, and Gtown, and asked about faxes/e-mails of various things. Gtown took faxes of everything, and my personal e-mail of my unofficial transcript. All the other schools require hard copies of everything sent by snail mail. Quite obnoxious considering I didn't even notice Columbia required UG dean's certs until yesterday **THANK YOU TLS POSTERS**

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:34 am

I got an email from CLS stating that they were still missing my UG dean's cert and 1L transcript.

I emailed them my unofficial transcript, updated resume, and an explanation why my UG dean's cert was delayed (due to some silly financial hold from not completing "Exit counseling" 7 years ago)

a week later (yesterday), I get an email stating that they'll update my file and will submit it for review. I got an email today stating "application complete." I checked the status checker, and it showed complete, but the transcript and deans cert boxes were still unchecked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Certiorari

New

Post by Certiorari » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 am

gdizz01 wrote:
Certiorari wrote:If you forgot to have your UG send one, just call CLS admissions and ask if it's okay if your UG faxes or emails the form. I've had a couple of schools tell me that fax or email is fine.
You can't...I called NYU, Columbia, Penn, and Gtown, and asked about faxes/e-mails of various things. Gtown took faxes of everything, and my personal e-mail of my unofficial transcript. All the other schools require hard copies of everything sent by snail mail. Quite obnoxious considering I didn't even notice Columbia required UG dean's certs until yesterday **THANK YOU TLS POSTERS**
I'd try asking again, then. I was running out of time for Penn, and they told me it was fine to have my schools email or fax the forms (which they did), and I ended up being admitted there. I think if there's a time crunch they don't care as much, and can probably accept an emailed or faxed form (Yale, for example, was taking everything — including applications — via email, though they had some technical problems this year). Frankly, I don't understand why they don't prefer email or fax; seems like it would be harder to forge than snail mail.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am

Columbia just accepted the "explanation of grades" from my law school registrar via email. So if you call and ask they should be OK with it. Is anybody else intensely annoyed that so many schools don't just accept the transcripts "as is" in the CAS report? CAS has my official transcript so you'd think CAS would just duplicate it.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 am

forestgirl wrote:Is anybody else intensely annoyed ...
Stopped reading there because I know the answer is YES YES YES

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Hang in there everyone. I know this stuff is extremely annoying sometimes but it's totally worth it in the end.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:05 pm

quiver wrote:Hang in there everyone. I know this stuff is extremely annoying sometimes but it's totally worth it in the end.
I'm dying to hear from them. I've had nothing happen since GULC EA. I'm losing my mind over here. Moving 1200 miles is a hell of a task that I would like to know if I need to prepare for.

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:11 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
quiver wrote:Hang in there everyone. I know this stuff is extremely annoying sometimes but it's totally worth it in the end.
I'm dying to hear from them. I've had nothing happen since GULC EA. I'm losing my mind over here. Moving 1200 miles is a hell of a task that I would like to know if I need to prepare for.
Ditto. All I've heard so far is two rejects. And the closest school I applied to is 1,084 miles away. Plus, I'm working on my first cite check for my current Law Review, and it's a pain in the ass (punctuated by the fact that I'm 100% on transferring, edit: if I get in somewhere, so it's coming off my resume--ugh).
Last edited by InnocuousDiatribe on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
Ditto. All I've heard so far is two rejects. And the closest school I applied to is 1,084 miles away. Plus, I'm working on my first cite check for my current Law Review, and it's a pain in the ass (punctuated by the fact that I'mm 100% on transferring, so it's coming off my resume--ugh).
Luckily my LR stuff wouldn't start until the end of the month, so I should know by then. Still, GULC's write-on basically ends today, at least the purchasing part. I'm torn between whether or not to go there or stay here, though I have a free ride now. This process is so frustrating.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
Wow-- I'm only moving about 300 miles and it's still killing me. At this point it's more about figuring out my life than the prestige of where I get in. I'm transferring because my original school is a 6 hour drive from my target workplace and my family. I'm in at Penn but NYC would still be tops for me. And I can't go apartment hunting near Penn yet until I hear back from CLS/NYU! Facepalm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:I'm dying to hear from them. I've had nothing happen since GULC EA.
This is what happened to me last year. I was accepted GULC EA then rejected from Berkeley and Michigan. I thought I was completely screwed at that point. Then I got 4 acceptances.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

quiver wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:I'm dying to hear from them. I've had nothing happen since GULC EA.
This is what happened to me last year. I was accepted GULC EA then rejected from Berkeley and Michigan. I thought I was completely screwed at that point. Then I got 4 acceptances.
Really? When (if you remember) and from where? Stats please. Thank you.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 pm

quiver wrote:
Hoping for the same. In at GULC. No word from Mich. Hoping with anxiety for C/N/P. When were you in at CLS last year?

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 pm

quiver wrote:
Thanks for giving me hope. Similar-ish situation: Deferred ED Uchi, then 2 rejects (B,V). Hopefully, I can pull a quiver and score 4 acceptances. *fingers tightly crossed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Anyone care to call anonymously and ask when they will be releasing decisions?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:54 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
quiver wrote:
Really? When (if you remember) and from where? Stats please. Thank you.
T2 in the 60s
3.97 GPA

I don't remember exact dates but I know Penn was first, then Cornell, then CLS, and NYU last (I actually didn't even know I was complete at NYU - they had been messing up stuff with my app for weeks).
InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Thanks for giving me hope. Similar-ish situation: Deferred ED Uchi, then 2 rejects (B,V). Hopefully, I pull a quiver and score 4 acceptances. *fingers tightly crossed
I was also deferred from Chicago ED then eventually rejected. I'm sure you have some great acceptances ahead.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Quiver is my clone! Hope! I feel way better now.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:46 pm

3 weeks later ... got my complete email. Status checker now also says complete even though two items are unchecked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

grok123

New

Post by grok123 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 pm

shock259 wrote:3 weeks later ... got my complete email. Status checker now also says complete even though two items are unchecked.
Same for me as well. Just got the "complete" email today.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Welcome to the queue.

lockiller

New

Post by lockiller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Anyone knows when the bidding for EIP starts for natives at Columbia? Maybe we can know about when we should expect admissions from that date.
I think the first wave of admissions from Columbia should come this week (presumably Friday?).

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Finally complete today. I'll join the waiting line...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”