Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFR

Bronze

Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Post by TFR » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:01 am

I've seen a few scattered threads on this, so I figured I'd start a thread to share all our thoughts, comments, questions etc...

Anyone applied and got a status checker email from them yet?

mileslibertatis

Silver

Re: Columbia 2012 Transfer Applicants

Post by mileslibertatis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm

I applied there. I haven't gotten a status checker email from them yet.

Did you do the LR competition?

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Did not do the write-on, as it was during the same time period as current LS.

Waiting on a status checker, as they require alot of supplementary materials, and I would like to know everything is in...

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 am

I'll be applying 6/15

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 am

Took them about a week and a half after submission of the application, but they have updated my status checker with outstanding requirements.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm

heeloftar wrote:Took them about a week and a half after submission of the application, but they have updated my status checker with outstanding requirements.
I submitted about a week and a half to two weeks ago and did not receive a status checker yet. Do you remember what date you submitted?

Also, just curious if the checker lets you know exactly what is needed to complete the app, and how they are with processing items that were mailed in (how long does it take)? I mailed in materials the same day I applied, and I am nervous the adcomm will lose/misplace it as they won't have a processed application to match it to.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 am

Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm

heeloftar wrote:I submitted on 05/23 and it was probably up by last Friday. It does include a checklist of the requirements. There is an initial "Complete Pending" stage which appears to show no outstanding requirements, but my page recently updated to show me that I still need my official transcript in.
I applied about two weeks ago and still nothing. Are you referring to the Columbia website status checker, or the LSAC one? The Columbia website one is up for me, but it just says incomplete, and the checklist up is generally unhelpful, as it doesn't include all the dean's certs etc...

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm

TFR wrote:
heeloftar wrote:I submitted on 05/23 and it was probably up by last Friday. It does include a checklist of the requirements. There is an initial "Complete Pending" stage which appears to show no outstanding requirements, but my page recently updated to show me that I still need my official transcript in.
I applied about two weeks ago and still nothing. Are you referring to the Columbia website status checker, or the LSAC one? The Columbia website one is up for me, but it just says incomplete, and the checklist up is generally unhelpful, as it doesn't include all the dean's certs etc...
I wasn't aware that LSAC had a status checker...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:56 pm

heeloftar wrote:
TFR wrote:
Most schools (GULC for example) reroute you to a status checker supported by LSAC, CLS's looks different, at least the one I saw... it looks like a page on their website.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:01 pm

TFR wrote:
heeloftar wrote:
TFR wrote:
Most schools (GULC for example) reroute you to a status checker supported by LSAC, CLS's looks different, at least the one I saw... it looks like a page on their website.
Ah, right. I wasn't expecting there to be one besides the one one their website.

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:48 pm

TFR wrote:Also, just curious if the checker lets you know exactly what is needed to complete the app, and how they are with processing items that were mailed in (how long does it take)? I mailed in materials the same day I applied, and I am nervous the adcomm will lose/misplace it as they won't have a processed application to match it to.
Worried about this too. I haven't submitted my app yet, but I wanted to give my undergraduate dean plenty of time to fill out that certification form. Turns out, they filled it out and sent it in like a day. I hope they keep the form around until I actually submit my application?

I should call tomorrow, unless anyone has an answer to this.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:34 pm

My dean's cert is probably already there and my app is not. I'm waiting on one LOR and will apply hopefully next week as soon as that LOR comes in. I hadn't anticipated that being a problem-- I figured they will probably just start a file once they get the dean's cert. But if you call them, I'm interested in what they say.

Another issue: I just got my rank emailed to me today, but my school does not print rank on our transcripts. Anybody else's school doing it this way? Is the rank just on my resume enough? I'm thinking about emailing to ask.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:04 pm

forestgirl wrote:My dean's cert is probably already there and my app is not. I'm waiting on one LOR and will apply hopefully next week as soon as that LOR comes in. I hadn't anticipated that being a problem-- I figured they will probably just start a file once they get the dean's cert. But if you call them, I'm interested in what they say.

Another issue: I just got my rank emailed to me today, but my school does not print rank on our transcripts. Anybody else's school doing it this way? Is the rank just on my resume enough? I'm thinking about emailing to ask.
Schools usually will write a letter with your class rank that they can send to transfer school. Also, I have not seen a transfer school that requires class rank to complete a transfer app... They can generally make a decision based on your grades, previous year ranks, and your classmates that are applying. Unless you are a really high rank with a lower GPA (3.8 or so) and want to put emphasis on your rank, you should get your rank in when you can, but I wouldn't stress about it.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

TFR wrote:Schools usually will write a letter with your class rank that they can send to transfer school. Also, I have not seen a transfer school that requires class rank to complete a transfer app... They can generally make a decision based on your grades, previous year ranks, and your classmates that are applying. Unless you are a really high rank with a lower GPA (3.8 or so) and want to put emphasis on your rank, you should get your rank in when you can, but I wouldn't stress about it.
I'm #13/219 but my GPA is 3.7 (the top of our curve must just be really small). I think I will put the rank on my resume with my application and ask my school to send a letter since I want to emphasize rank.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Anyone go complete here yet? I'm at completion pending for a while...

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Thank god I checked this thread - didn't realize that I needed to include a Dean's letter from my undergrad. Hope they can get it in time.. ugh

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AZN MegaPoaster

New

Post by AZN MegaPoaster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 pm

shock259 wrote:Thank god I checked this thread - didn't realize that I needed to include a Dean's letter from my undergrad. Hope they can get it in time.. ugh
Fuck me. Same here. I need to get that done stat.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:46 pm

shock259 wrote:Thank god I checked this thread - didn't realize that I needed to include a Dean's letter from my undergrad. Hope they can get it in time.. ugh
There was no movement last year until around 7/15, so you should be fine.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bramwell

New

Post by Bramwell » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:57 pm

In my experience last year, the status checker was not all that useful. I think that mine went from "completion pending" to "letter sent" within one day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC1983

New

Post by NYC1983 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 pm

How long does it take to get an answer after our file is complete? Any chance of knowing by mid-July?

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm

We don't have to send our transcripts separately, right? They just get them from LSAC.

That part of my app is still incomplete but everything else (but college dean cert) is complete.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Is anyone complete yet? Or are we all still at completion pending?

NYC1983

New

Post by NYC1983 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am

I went complete June 14

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”