Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:04 am

If you are waiting for law review & have a high class rank at Texas while paying sticker price, then apply to Harvard as a transfer in the event that you don't make law review or to use as negotiating leverage with Texas for scholarship money.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:22 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:does the name on your degree have an impact on partner prospects? Does it have any kind of impact beyond getting your foot in the door (exit options from firms, etc) Is it better to have law review at UT or a degree from H? I'm basically paying sticker at UT.

I've heard opinions both ways, but objectively there's no way to tell. I tend to think H gives you an advantage for certain types of exit options just because the HLS/HBS alumni network is so huge. But it's not worth giving up UT + law review unless your familial income is super low (H gives tons of need based aid).

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:36 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:does the name on your degree have an impact on partner prospects? Does it have any kind of impact beyond getting your foot in the door (exit options from firms, etc) Is it better to have law review at UT or a degree from H? I'm basically paying sticker at UT.

I've heard opinions both ways, but objectively there's no way to tell. I tend to think H gives you an advantage for certain types of exit options just because the HLS/HBS alumni network is so huge. But it's not worth giving up UT + law review unless your familial income is super low (H gives tons of need based aid).


How low is super low? I think the need based aid could be a big factor for me.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:49 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:does the name on your degree have an impact on partner prospects? Does it have any kind of impact beyond getting your foot in the door (exit options from firms, etc) Is it better to have law review at UT or a degree from H? I'm basically paying sticker at UT.

I've heard opinions both ways, but objectively there's no way to tell. I tend to think H gives you an advantage for certain types of exit options just because the HLS/HBS alumni network is so huge. But it's not worth giving up UT + law review unless your familial income is super low (H gives tons of need based aid).


How low is super low? I think the need based aid could be a big factor for me.

As a rule of thumb, I think you get at least something from H if your combined family income is under $180K. This includes your income plus that of both parents (if you are under 30).

I shouldn't have said super low -- I am just bitter over the fact that H doesn't adjust this number for different metro areas. I.e. a parent making $80K in Oklahoma is probably living very well while a parent making $90K in Manhattan might be barely scraping by. Yet, the former is entitled to need-based aid under H's system but not the latter.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:does the name on your degree have an impact on partner prospects? Does it have any kind of impact beyond getting your foot in the door (exit options from firms, etc) Is it better to have law review at UT or a degree from H? I'm basically paying sticker at UT.

I've heard opinions both ways, but objectively there's no way to tell. I tend to think H gives you an advantage for certain types of exit options just because the HLS/HBS alumni network is so huge. But it's not worth giving up UT + law review unless your familial income is super low (H gives tons of need based aid).


How low is super low? I think the need based aid could be a big factor for me.

As a rule of thumb, I think you get at least something from H if your combined family income is under $180K. This includes your income plus that of both parents (if you are under 30).

I shouldn't have said super low -- I am just bitter over the fact that H doesn't adjust this number for different metro areas. I.e. a parent making $80K in Oklahoma is probably living very well while a parent making $90K in Manhattan might be barely scraping by. Yet, the former is entitled to need-based aid under H's system but not the latter.


Is it on a sliding scale? Do you get more money for being further away from 180k?

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:56 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Is it on a sliding scale? Do you get more money for being further away from 180k?

Yes -- and I think some other factors help like having siblings in college. Check out the website for details.

forestgirl
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Giving up Law Review to Transfer Up

Postby forestgirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:38 pm

If anybody is still paying attention to the original post: class ranks came out today. My rounded 3.7 is enough for #13/ top 6%. I'm pretty relieved after being scared I might even fall outside top 10%. I think I will throw the net wide, including Chicago and maybe Boalt, and see what happens. Top dream school would be CLS, followed closely by NYU and then Penn.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.