so this happened...

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wilc0phan

so this happened...

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

I took a risk and asked a professor for a LOR before finals...he did. It stated in part, "In truth, he was one of the two or three best students I have had all year. I hate to see him go. Although final grades will not be released until sometime in June,
I would be surprised not to see this student in the "A" range, that is in the top 10-15% of this 100 person class."

the LOR contained numerous other compliments along those lines. Well, fml, I have no idea what happened and I got a BB+ in the class. So much for thinking I was studying harder and better this semester...I had a 3.9 at a T4 after first semester, and now I'm looking at a 3.3 or 3.4, and am likely stuck and basically want to give up.

My transfer list has changed, obviously. I'm beyond disappointed. Just tell me this, how bad will it look when a school sees a great LOR and the student didn't essentially live up to the level of work the professor who wrote a LOR expected him to? Should I go back to the professor?

CanadianWolf

Re: so this happened...

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 30, 2012 10:37 am

What is your class rank ? What is the median GPA at NEL ?

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am

CanadianWolf wrote:What is your class rank ? What is the median GPA at NEL ?

won't be released for awhile. the median is likely a B. looks like top 1/3. ouch

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed May 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Eh, grades can be finnicky. If your human brain didn't see one aspect of a problem on the final for some reason, that might cost you an A. I think schools know that more goes in to lawyering than grades, and the recommendation shouldn't embarrass you in that regard. I guess they might think the faculty at your school are simpletons for misjudging you, but I wonder if they even cross-reference the letters with grades?

The impact on your rank is the bigger problem... I think.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed May 30, 2012 1:11 pm

wilc0phan wrote:I took a risk and asked a professor for a LOR before finals...he did. It stated in part, "In truth, he was one of the two or three best students I have had all year. I hate to see him go. Although final grades will not be released until sometime in June,
I would be surprised not to see this student in the "A" range, that is in the top 10-15% of this 100 person class."

the LOR contained numerous other compliments along those lines. Well, fml, I have no idea what happened and I got a BB+ in the class. So much for thinking I was studying harder and better this semester...I had a 3.9 at a T4 after first semester, and now I'm looking at a 3.3 or 3.4, and am likely stuck and basically want to give up.

My transfer list has changed, obviously. I'm beyond disappointed. Just tell me this, how bad will it look when a school sees a great LOR and the student didn't essentially live up to the level of work the professor who wrote a LOR expected him to? Should I go back to the professor?

Is this one class or all your grades?

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 pm

OP, what are your thoughts on New England? I only ask because I have a good friend who just finished 1L year there with you. She doesn't seem to have any idea what the legal world is like right now (she's a K-JD who thinks law degree = money). Are most students there like this? Would you really hate to stay there?

I don't really have any advice to give but I wish you the best of luck with this whole thing!

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
wilc0phan wrote:I took a risk and asked a professor for a LOR before finals...he did. It stated in part, "In truth, he was one of the two or three best students I have had all year. I hate to see him go. Although final grades will not be released until sometime in June,

Is this one class or all your grades?

The GPA numbers are based on all classes.

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:OP, what are your thoughts on New England? I only ask because I have a good friend who just finished 1L year there with you. She doesn't seem to have any idea what the legal world is like right now (she's a K-JD who thinks law degree = money). Are most students there like this? Would you really hate to stay there?

I don't really have any advice to give but I wish you the best of luck with this whole thing!

I would say that many, not all, but many, don't seem to be as pessimistic of the current legal market as myself. In truth, I like the school. I have some great professors and I like everyone here. I would not hate it if I stayed. I really am hoping I can make it to a T2 after this heartbreak.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

wilc0phan wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:OP, what are your thoughts on New England? I only ask because I have a good friend who just finished 1L year there with you. She doesn't seem to have any idea what the legal world is like right now (she's a K-JD who thinks law degree = money). Are most students there like this? Would you really hate to stay there?

I would say that many, not all, but many, don't seem to be as pessimistic of the current legal market as myself. In truth, I like the school. I have some great professors and I like everyone here. I would not hate it if I stayed. I really am hoping I can make it to a T2 after this heartbreak.

You will make it into a T2. Problem is that it won't greatly increase your odds of getting a job. Are you at New Endland or WNEC or Suffolk?

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
wilc0phan wrote:

You will make it into a T2. Problem is that it won't greatly increase your odds of getting a job. Are you at New Endland or WNEC or Suffolk?

NE

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed May 30, 2012 2:18 pm

wilc0phan wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
wilc0phan wrote:

NE

You should be able to move to a T2. Do you have a scholarship at NE?

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed May 30, 2012 5:30 pm

You should be able to move to a T2. Do you have a scholarship at NE?[/quote]

1/2 tuition scholarship

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 pm

I think it's perfectly fine. If anything I think you should be glad you have that LOR apologizing for you falling short of an A.

I say be happy with it. The admission committee will probably interpret your grades as not so much reflective of you as it is the rigor or perhaps unfairness of the grading, especially if all else look good. If you want to explicitly state that then that to them in an addendum then that would help.

Hope all goes well.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm

wilc0phan wrote:You should be able to move to a T2. Do you have a scholarship at NE?

1/2 tuition scholarship[/quote]

Probably not worth leaving. You're going to transfer to a school that costs the same or more than your disaster of a school (and lose out on the one saving grace to this unmitigated disaster, i.e. your scholarship money). The reward will be that you will graduate jobless from a slightly higher ranked school with way more debt. Totally not worth it. Stick it out at NE and concentrate on trying to find a job ASAP.

Kids, let this be a lesson. NEVER ATTEND LAW SCHOOL THINKING THAT YOU WILL TRANSFER IN YOUR 2L YEAR. You simply are not as smart as you think you are and will wind up just like the OP.

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
wilc0phan wrote:You should be able to move to a T2. Do you have a scholarship at NE?

1/2 tuition scholarship

Probably not worth leaving. You're going to transfer to a school that costs the same or more than your disaster of a school (and lose out on the one saving grace to this unmitigated disaster, i.e. your scholarship money). The reward will be that you will graduate jobless from a slightly higher ranked school with way more debt. Totally not worth it. Stick it out at NE and concentrate on trying to find a job ASAP.

Kids, let this be a lesson. NEVER ATTEND LAW SCHOOL THINKING THAT YOU WILL TRANSFER IN YOUR 2L YEAR. You simply are not as smart as you think you are and will wind up just like the OP.[/quote]

did not attend LS to transfer. but thanks.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 am

Well when did you decide that you had to transfer? What was your game plan when you started? Why has it changed now?

Return to “Transfers”