LORs through LSAC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisavj

LORs through LSAC

Postby lisavj » Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Did you have professors write and send letters through LSAC, or directly to the schools to which you applied? Does anyone know if schools have a preference?

mileslibertatis

Re: LORs through LSAC

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I had them all sent to LSAC so that I had flexibility in where to apply. Many schools require them be sent through LSAC, so my impression is that they prefer that. If I were an admissions administrator, I would prefer everything coming from one place.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

lisavj wrote:Did you have professors write and send letters through LSAC, or directly to the schools to which you applied? Does anyone know if schools have a preference?

send them through LSAC (preferred method for almost all schools).

deadlines are coming up soon so try to get them in as soon as possible!

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:Did you have professors write and send letters through LSAC, or directly to the schools to which you applied? Does anyone know if schools have a preference?

No pressure ;). I figured this, wanted to make sure the grades held before applying. All writers notified though. Luckily Berkeley is OK if letters arrive after June 15 so long as names are on the app. Thanks all!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

lisavj wrote:
Lasers wrote:

No pressure ;). I figured this, wanted to make sure the grades held before applying. All writers notified though. Luckily Berkeley is OK if letters arrive after June 15 so long as names are on the app. Thanks all!

oh cool, i didn't know this.

good luck!

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue May 29, 2012 6:08 pm

We accept transfer applications from April 1-June 15. Assuming you applied for first-year status in the past year, your Law Services subscription should still be active. Early application is encouraged to ensure that all documents are processed expeditiously by LSAC. Refer to the transfer checklist above for specific information on what you need to submit. Supporting documents (spring grades, recommendations, etc.) may arrive after our deadline, but be forewarned that almost all of our decisions will have been made by the second week in July.  Admission decisions cannot be made until after spring grades are reported.  You may fax your spring grade report to us at (510) 643-6222.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/43.htm

FYI :)

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 am

I am so depressed about this LOR crap. I admittedly waited till a bit before finals before asking professors for the LOR and 1 ignored my email, and the other said he was grading papers for two weeks (did it in a dickish manner). I got my Legal writing professor to write one (the only class i made a B in... twice) but that's it! should i hound the professors with emails begging them? Should i just apply to schools who only require 1 LOR? blahh it sucks

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed May 30, 2012 2:41 pm

LOR-getting is a function of your performance and your personality. I found it better to approach professors in extremely an extremely humble position, like "my wife and I are trying to do this thing, you see, and I was kinda wondering if..."

When I emailed them I also asked to set an office appointment to discuss LOR, because I think that comes across better. None of them really wanted to meet, but they all agreed to do it.

Definitely don't hound the professors. I'd recommend stopping by their offices and giving them a non-jackass reason for what you are trying to do.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I was honest with my professors and they gave me the letters without any hassle. I told them I wanted to transfer because I thought it was the best thing for me and I didn't want to have any regrets later on. You know your professors best though, so figure out what would be best to say.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Me too. But what you have to be careful about is coming across like "I want to blow this popsicle T2 and go to a real law school" jerk.

Xferr

Postby Xferr » Wed May 30, 2012 4:06 pm

LSAC had one of my letters completely processed three days after my teacher sent it. The other was processed in twelve days from my request to send it to LSAC, but I'm not sure when he actually sent it. Either way, if you get the request out today you should meet even a June 15 deadline.

Return to “Transfers”