Yale and Michigan Transfer Apps (CAS for physical apps)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferquery

Yale and Michigan Transfer Apps (CAS for physical apps)

Postby transferquery » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Question for anyone who might know:

The other schools that I'm applying to: Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and NYU all have online applications through LSAC for transferring. Thus far, Yale and Michigan do not. From reading their respective websites, it seems as though they might only accept physical applications and they indicate that upon receipt of a physical application they request a CAS report from LSAC, which must be prepaid in order to be honored. That said, does anyone know how to "prepay" for CAS reports for schools that don't have an online application available? If so, do you know how to select specific letters of recommendation to go with those CAS reports?

I've already had my LOR profs send in LSAC LORs (some school specific based on undergrad or law school attendance) and don't really want to have to ask them to submit another set of LORs through school specific means unless I have to. Anyone have experience with this?
Last edited by transferquery on Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Re: Yale and Michigan Transfer Apps

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm

I have been wondering this myself. I think once you mail in the paper application, the school will request a report from LSAC. At that point you will have an open term and can assign LORs and upload documents.

But I hope someone else knows for sure. This was gleaned from searching through old posts here.

Ehudbarak15

Re: Yale and Michigan Transfer Apps (CAS for physical apps)

Postby Ehudbarak15 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:11 pm

There is nothing on any website that says Yale or Michigan only accept paper apps.

They use online apps like everyone else.

They aren't up yet because the admissions offices are lazy and know they won't look at the applications until late July anyway.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Yale's application does explicitly say to mail the materials. Is that just a leftover from the bygone days before the interwebs?

Ehudbarak15

Postby Ehudbarak15 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Link?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 10:44 pm

"Mail your signed application, supporting materials, and the $75 application fee directly to
Yale Law School in an envelope marked “Transfer Student.” Your application must be
received by the Admissions Office no later than July 9."

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/A ... n_2012.pdf

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am

Michigan used an online app on LSAC last year. Just keep checking because It may just not be up yet. Or give them a call after Memorial Day weekend.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sat May 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Not sure about Yale but Michigan seems to use one LSAC app for everyone. If you go into the available application and read the instructions it will mention transfer applications so you are probably fine submitting that one. I was also confused at first until I read the application instructions.

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 12:56 pm

This is credited as to michigan; I just completed the app online. Yale still has no application for any term or applicant available online, so it seems as though that application will need to be physically mailed unless that changes.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 1:37 pm

For those interested, UVA has the same deal as Michigan. I emailed Yale admissions but got an autoreply informing me that they can't respond to individual inquiries... uh...

So I may just mail the thing in. Saves the $16 LSAC fee right?

Ehudbarak15

Postby Ehudbarak15 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Last year yale posted the app in July. They waived the fee because it took them so long to post online. It'll be up. Just wait. Like I said, They are lazy.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 pm

July?!

Ehudbarak15

Postby Ehudbarak15 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Yes or late June. It was very late. They apologized and extended deadline, in addition to waiving app fee.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Sweet Mary and Joseph. Who wants to bite the bullet and call them on Tuesday?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am

Lol at me if one of you dooders gets in instead of me because I showed you where the stinking online app is. Would have been more fun to make you wait until July and laugh at your poor Internet skillZ.

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/A ... n_2012.pdf

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 am

Pretty sure we all had that :wink:. The question was whether there would be an online app on lsac, and if not, how to get lsac to prepare a CAS report with the right LORs when Yale makes its CAS request
Last edited by transferquery on Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun May 27, 2012 10:41 am

Ah. Derision rescinded.

But still, mail everything you can and wait for it to come up on lsac. That doesn't lose anyone any time.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sun May 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Heh, yeah, if you read up I actually posted that link before.

If I can avoid sending in something scrawled with my chicken scratch, I generally prefer that. I already tried to fill out one page and somehow it got water marks on it.

If the app isn't up soon, I will just mail it in. I think Wednesday is going to be my deadline.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 pm

This was Yale's response to my email:

Thank you for your inquiry.

You can access and print a PDF version of our current JD transfer application in its entirety at http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/JDTr ... tudent.htm.

The deadline for transfer applications is July 1. All decisions will be released the third week of July.

JD Admissions Office
Yale Law School
admissions.law@yale.edu
(203) 432-4995
http://www.law.yale.edu

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

FWIW, I submitted the Michigan app through the application available on LSAC last thursday and received a confirmation email this morning.

ust2008

Postby ust2008 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Anyone gain additional clarity on Yale's LSAC application? I noticed that you can now "access" the application on LSAC, but it only allows you to complete the "Common Information Form." Also, the link to the school-specific instructions doesn't work.

For those who are printing out the application and submitting: are you sending hard copies of personal statement & resume as well? This seems crazy to me. Why would they ever want people mailing hard copies of applications?

Return to “Transfers”