Send in Fall grades before Spring grades are ready?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aca0260

Send in Fall grades before Spring grades are ready?

Postby aca0260 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Any reasons to do this? School releases spring grades typically between June 15-June 30

bdubs

Re: Send in Fall grades before Spring grades are ready?

Postby bdubs » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 pm

aca0260 wrote:Any reasons to do this? School releases spring grades typically between June 15-June 30

Would probably help if you told us where you're thinking of sending them and why.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue May 22, 2012 11:34 pm

The school will not likely review your application before you have all your grades. If the apps are due before then call the school and ask for advice.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Wed May 23, 2012 1:16 am

I did this. I sent my transcript to LSAC after Winter quarter, so that is all that is available from CAS. I have applied to all but one school already and I will send my complete 1L transcripts as soon as I have my last two grades.

I can't imagine it matters one way or the other. They aren't going to mark it as "complete" and start reviewing it until they have what they want, but they also aren't going to throw it in the shredder just because you don't have final grades in yet.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 am

bdubs wrote:
aca0260 wrote:Any reasons to do this? School releases spring grades typically between June 15-June 30

Would probably help if you told us where you're thinking of sending them and why.

Most of the T14. The reason is to put some grades in front of them while we wait on spring grades.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 am

It is $100 and if your grades do not repeat it is not worth it. I plan an calling couple schools to see if it is really worth it right now. I know for Cal they said they will not start a review until they have grades. That being said supporting materials have to be in by July 1st for most schools. You should get Letters of Rec and work on a statement.

Currently I am working on redrafting my personal statements that I did for the EA cycle.

NinaSimone

Postby NinaSimone » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

If the school will not look at your application until they've received spring grades, it is a waste of time for you and the admissions office to send in transcripts with only your fall grades. You are better off waiting until you can access your spring grades, send in an unofficial copy of both your fall and spring grades to the school, and then follow-up with your official transcript ASAP.

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 pm

One thing I am wondering about is the letter of good standing that most schools require. For certain schools like UC-Berkeley, they explicitly state that LOGS are only required upon acceptance. Is that the exception, or the rule? Would be a pain to carry a stack of letters of good standing to sign to send with every app.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

heeloftar wrote:One thing I am wondering about is the letter of good standing that most schools require. For certain schools like UC-Berkeley, they explicitly state that LOGS are only required upon acceptance. Is that the exception, or the rule? Would be a pain to carry a stack of letters of good standing to sign to send with every app.

Its an exception. Check every application. I would even send one to Cal even though it is only required on acceptance.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I had two quarters of grades with perfect consistency, so I decided there was little chance of a huge deviation in the third quarter.

All the schools to which I am applying require the letter of good standing or something similar as part of the application materials. This is probably the most annoying part of the application, especially when it is required from the undergrad school. I graduated 5 years ago and live a thousand miles away from my undergrad school. So I have been printing, signing, scanning, and emailing to a moderately responsive midlevel official there.

I would get all of your required forms together, fill them out and sign them, and put them in a folder and take them to the registrar. That made life a lot easier for my law school forms.

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Fri May 25, 2012 3:05 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I had two quarters of grades with perfect consistency, so I decided there was little chance of a huge deviation in the third quarter.

All the schools to which I am applying require the letter of good standing or something similar as part of the application materials. This is probably the most annoying part of the application, especially when it is required from the undergrad school. I graduated 5 years ago and live a thousand miles away from my undergrad school. So I have been printing, signing, scanning, and emailing to a moderately responsive midlevel official there.

I would get all of your required forms together, fill them out and sign them, and put them in a folder and take them to the registrar. That made life a lot easier for my law school forms.

Did you draw up your own LOGS or does the dean have some sort of form letter they use?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Most schools to which I transferred have forms they require from the school in a countersigned envelope. They say for your current school to complete the form, put it in the envelope, sign the back over the flap, and give it back to you. I just had the registrar send it directly (why would they care who mails it?).

I did not think Penn required a letter, but when I got my initial email from them they said I was missing it. I was unable to find any form on their website, so it looks like they want either a freeform letter from my school, or my school's OWN form. I shot the admissions address to the registrar, and she should be able to either fill in the blanks on a form letter or punch up my school's standard form.

So the answer is it depends. Most of them were in the "forms" section of the application on LSAC.

Always read the instructions section on the application on LSAC, and always cross-reference that with the school's actual transfer application website, which will often have a list of requirements.

Return to “Transfers”