Wait until final grades to confirm?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seaguy2010

Wait until final grades to confirm?

Postby seaguy2010 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 am

I will start receiving grades back next week (starting May 21). In the first semester I was sitting in the top 5-10% of my class at a T50 school and am planning to transfer or negotiate a scholarship at my current school.

Since I cannot submit anything prior to receiving final grades (nor do I even know my current percentile rank to base my decision on), what steps would you suggest that I do ASAP in order to prepare for transferring? I have a prof who is willing to provide a rec (after I get my final grades), and I am certain that I can get other recs if needed from other profs (as soon as I get my grade back in the class).

Should I still set up appts with these profs NOW even though I don't have my final grades back?

Should I set up an appt. with the dean now or wait for my grades? This would be more of a scholarship discussion so obviously I'd need to have my grades.

Anything else in the meantime while waiting for final grades?

Thanks for the help

Indifferent

Re: Wait until final grades to confirm?

Postby Indifferent » Sun May 20, 2012 5:25 am

seaguy2010 wrote:Should I still set up appts with these profs NOW even though I don't have my final grades back?

Yes.

seaguy2010 wrote:Should I set up an appt. with the dean now or wait for my grades? This would be more of a scholarship discussion so obviously I'd need to have my grades.

It is highly unlikely they're going to give you a scholarship solely based on your grades, especially if you're only top 10%. Sorry.

seaguy2010 wrote:Anything else in the meantime while waiting for final grades?

Get your personal statement written and edited, try to finalize your apps.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 am

Yes, you should start lining up professor recommendations for your transfer applications.

Loyola-LA should try to keep any top 5%-10% student since UCLA & USC offer better placement opportunities.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sun May 20, 2012 11:43 am

I submitted my apps without my final grades. I will send official transcripts once I have them all. I am nervous after getting a mediocre grade in my appellate advocacy class.

seaguy2010

Postby seaguy2010 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Indifferent wrote:
seaguy2010 wrote:Should I still set up appts with these profs NOW even though I don't have my final grades back?

Yes.

seaguy2010 wrote:Should I set up an appt. with the dean now or wait for my grades? This would be more of a scholarship discussion so obviously I'd need to have my grades.

It is highly unlikely they're going to give you a scholarship solely based on your grades, especially if you're only top 10%. Sorry.

seaguy2010 wrote:Anything else in the meantime while waiting for final grades?

Get your personal statement written and edited, try to finalize your apps.

Thanks for the suggestions. My school automatically gives scholarships for the top 10% of the first-year class. However, it might not be enough to make sense to stay there if I can transfer to a better school.

Return to “Transfers”