What are your chances? I'll chance you

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 pm

terpfan12 wrote:3.75 first semester GPA at a school ranked in the 80's with a 3.1 curve, hopefully similar grades this semester

Deferred GULC EA

Applying to Columbia, NYU, Penn, UVA, Michigan, Duke, GW

You have a fighting Chance at CLS and NYU (similar stats to me last year), but more realistically are looking at Penn, Mich, or GULC. UVA accepts almost no one outside of VA. Not familiar with GW

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri May 25, 2012 7:18 pm

wightjm wrote:For a friend:

top 10% at Richmond to UVa?

Yes

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri May 25, 2012 7:19 pm

dtl wrote:I was top 2% last semester. Looks like (with two grades out so far) that I am going to drop to top 7-10% or so. School is in the early 40's. I have WE but nothing law related. No real softs.

Looking to transfer to the LA region - UCLA, USC, UCIrvine. Also blanketing rank 3-14.

Oh god chance me.

If you were top 2%, but are dropping to top 10%, does that mean second semester was around top 20%? I think that's a negative trend, but you should get one of UCLA/USC. Slightly lower chances at Berkley.

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Still don't have all of my grades and as a result don't have an exact rank, but let's say it's top 3% at a 30-39.

Apping to YHCCNM. Chance away.

Kaspian

Postby Kaspian » Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am

x
Last edited by Kaspian on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat May 26, 2012 11:51 am

transferquery wrote:Still don't have all of my grades and as a result don't have an exact rank, but let's say it's top 3% at a 30-39.

Apping to YHCCNM. Chance away.

Out at Y, maybe 25% chance at H. Probably in at the rest.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:58 am

anon71 wrote:1st semester: top 1-2% (school does not rank first semester) at a very large law school ranked 69 located at the southeast tip of the country.

2nd semester: waiting to get grades back

other: 2 years W.E. with USDOJ before law school, interning with US Dist. Ct. judge this summer and helping a professor write a new law review article.

applying to:
H
NYU
UVA
Mich
Duke
Georgetown

thanks!

You should get GULC, you'll probably get Michigan and Penn, and you have a solid chance at NYU and (if you apply) Columbia.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Vronsky wrote:
terpfan12 wrote:3.75 first semester GPA at a school ranked in the 80's with a 3.1 curve, hopefully similar grades this semester

Deferred GULC EA

You have a fighting Chance at CLS and NYU (similar stats to me last year), but more realistically are looking at Penn, Mich, or GULC. UVA accepts almost no one outside of VA. Not familiar with GW

I had a higher GPA and a similar curve at a similarly ranked school and only got Michigan and GULC of the schools you're applying to. Rejected from CLS/NYU/Penn. If I were you, I'd add Northwestern. Don't bother with GW. Duke and UVA take basically no transfers unless they're from VA/NC respectively.

It really depends on your rank. If your top 1-2% at a 3.75, then you have a shot at CLS/NYU/Penn. If you're closer to top 5%, then you're probably looking at Mich/NU/GULC.

doodledoctor

Postby doodledoctor » Sat May 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Top 15% at Loyola Law School Los Angeles.

Applying to USC and UCLA.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat May 26, 2012 1:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Deferred GULC EA

I had a higher GPA and a similar curve at a similarly ranked school and only got Michigan and GULC of the schools you're applying to. Rejected from CLS/NYU/Penn. If I were you, I'd add Northwestern. Don't bother with GW. Duke and UVA take basically no transfers unless they're from VA/NC respectively.

It really depends on your rank. If your top 1-2% at a 3.75, then you have a shot at CLS/NYU/Penn. If you're closer to top 5%, then you're probably looking at Mich/NU/GULC.

I disagree. Apply to GWU you need a safety.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 1:25 pm

man i remember this thread from forever ago

how about: top 10% at vandy to S and V

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Do I have a shot at any CA schools (so far top 5%, T30)? I've always been interested in SV work but have never really had the chance to get over there (Lowish GPA relative to LSAT, so going to a good CA LS right away wasn't an option). Or is TCR to just try for a T6 and mass mail SV firms (way too afraid to actually waste any bids on CA, will probably bid exclusively on NYC)?

apparentlymargarita

Postby apparentlymargarita » Sat May 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Not sure exactly, but expecting top 5-10% at T30. Applying to HYS, Columbia, NYU. I know it's a long shot, but i've already decided that anything lower isn't worth giving up my full ride here. Not interested in biglaw (want federal gov't, possibly teaching). Was on the waitlist at Stanford, Columbia, and NYU my first round of apps.
Last edited by apparentlymargarita on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat May 26, 2012 4:20 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Deferred GULC EA

I disagree. Apply to GWU you need a safety.

IMO, transferring to T20 and having no scholarship or LR is no better than being at a T2 with LR and scholarship. Although the T2 will have meager options for OCI, you will be in line to get what's available. OCI outside the T14 isn't compelling enough, baring some outside factor like wanting to live & work in DC.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 pm

fatduck wrote:man i remember this thread from forever ago

how about: top 10% at vandy to S and V

Stanford and Virginia?
Probably quite low for both, unless you have ties/residence in either CA or VA. If you meant Y, same thing. I'd say you are a good candidate for H and CCN, though.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat May 26, 2012 4:25 pm

tedalbany wrote:Do I have a shot at any CA schools (so far top 5%, T30)? I've always been interested in SV work but have never really had the chance to get over there (Lowish GPA relative to LSAT, so going to a good CA LS right away wasn't an option). Or is TCR to just try for a T6 and mass mail SV firms (way too afraid to actually waste any bids on CA, will probably bid exclusively on NYC)?

Yeah, I'd say you are very competitive for Berkley and a lock to get one of USC/UCLA. If you have CA ties, maybe worth an app at S too, but it's always very difficult b/c of the small class size. If you get into any of those, you should have good chances at OCI for either SV/PA/SF/LA. I agree its wise to also bid NYC, but I dont think bidding CA firms is a waste from any of the top 4 CA schools

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat May 26, 2012 4:31 pm

apparentlymargarita wrote:Not sure exactly, but expecting top 5-10% at IU-Bloomington. Applying to HYS, Columbia, NYU. I know it's a long shot, but i've already decided that anything lower isn't worth giving up my full ride here. Not interested in biglaw (want federal gov't, possibly teaching). Was on the waitlist at Stanford, Columbia, and NYU my first round of apps.

Yes I'd say you have good chances at HSCN. Y tends to draw from the T14, however. All are much better options for Gov and academia.

It's arguably a better rationale to transfer for access to BigGov and academia rather than just BigLaw, which in some cases is only slightly better at the transfer school, i.e. from T30 to T10. Biglaw is still a strong rationale from IUB, tho, because i think they tend to get sandwiched between Chi and Mich for Chicago biglaw.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 pm

3.94 gpa at a top 40 school. All As this year except for 1 A-. I was ranked number 1 last semester, but won't be anymore bc of the A-; not sure what I am ranked right now, though. Applying to HYSCCN. Chances?

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Getting one A- drops you from #1? There's someone else in your class who got all As, all the time?

I think you have super good chances at an HYS. I say this because I am #1 at a school in the 50s and they tell me I have a good chance at one of them, so you should have even better chances.

Also, I got all As so far (waiting on two more grades) and a single B, and I still expect to be first...

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Getting one A- drops you from #1? There's someone else in your class who got all As, all the time?

I think you have super good chances at an HYS. I say this because I am #1 at a school in the 50s and they tell me I have a good chance at one of them, so you should have even better chances.

Also, I got all As so far (waiting on two more grades) and a single B, and I still expect to be first...

I'm assuming at least one person will keep a 4.0. There were 4 other people tied for number 1 last semester, one of whom booked every class. I would think one of them nailed it again. We'll see, though.

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 pm

not sure what the curve is at your school miles, but I'm expecting to have 1 A- and the rest As (over the whole year) and I will definitely not be #1 at a school that curves to a 3.0; I hope to be in the top 6. Granted, my school also has A+s, but even if you turn those into As, I know of at least 2 people with all A's and A+s first semester that I expect to repeat this time.
Last edited by transferquery on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Our starting class was split in two, but in our contracts section there were only 4 As out of 36 students or so. I was able to ask around and find out who they all were. I am 98.7% certain no one else got As in every other class...

But my schools is fairly small. I'll be ranked with maybe 120 people.

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 pm

If you're ranked against 120 people, that includes a larger set of people than the 36 whose grades you know. I'm confused.

Edit: assuming that each class is worth the same number of credit hours a 'B' is worse than getting 3 A-'s, so it seems somewhat unlikely that you'd maintain #1 even if no one else had a 4.0 after first semester.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah, I don't want to devolve this in to a discussion of my stats. But I guess we've already crossed that line.

My B was in a 2 credit class. There is one person I know who was getting all As with me, and that person now has a B+ in a 4 credit class and a B in another 4 credit class. Some of our classes are combined sections, and I have As in all of those so far. You are right that it is possible someone from the other half has all As, or that someone in a previous starting class does.

The school ranks by credit range, 42-84 credits gets lumped together. So because people start at different times and some people take classes in summers, my cohort is constantly changing. Just after the B came out, I sent some of those dean's letters up to the registrar to have submitted. She unofficially told me I was #1 for the time being, so I don't know if that was based on a previous look or whether that included my dastardly B.

But back to chancing others!

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 9:38 pm

haha alright, sorry for the temporary derailment

Return to “Transfers”