What are your chances? I'll chance you

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jd1969a
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby jd1969a » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Brooklyn/Hofstra/St. John's
3.77, 8.6%
Chance for Columbia/NYU/M/Penn/Cornell/Georgetown

transfermaybe34
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:21 am

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby transfermaybe34 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Would love your opinions...

At BU
3.81 (BU officially says I'm top 5 in section of ~80...this is the highest distinction BU makes)

Applying broadly: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern

Thanks!

cappad0cian
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 am

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby cappad0cian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Any thoughts on my odds?

3.8, top 8% at NY area T2.

Already sent in applications to NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern. Deferred from GULC EA, but in at GW. Ideally would like to stay in NY - home sweet home.

Thanks very much!

aeg113
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby aeg113 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:19 pm

I am number 1 of 355/ GPA 3.86 at a school ranked in the 80s

Thinking about CCN... Any thoughts on what my odds are? Should consider transferring at all or just stay at the school I'm at now and try to stay on top?

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm

aeg113 wrote:I am number 1 of 355/ GPA 3.86 at a school ranked in the 80s

Thinking about CCN... Any thoughts on what my odds are? Should consider transferring at all or just stay at the school I'm at now and try to stay on top?



Blanket top 14 and see what your options are. You should get in somewhere....they are going to hook you up with a full ride aren't they if you stay?

aeg113
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby aeg113 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:06 am

jarofsoup wrote:
aeg113 wrote:I am number 1 of 355/ GPA 3.86 at a school ranked in the 80s

Thinking about CCN... Any thoughts on what my odds are? Should consider transferring at all or just stay at the school I'm at now and try to stay on top?



Blanket top 14 and see what your options are. You should get in somewhere....they are going to hook you up with a full ride aren't they if you stay?


Trying to negotiate that right now. Requesting my transcripts/LOR shows my current school that I am serious about transferring, so hopefully they will offer me a full ride. Is that what schools normally do with the top student of the 1L class? To be honest, I wasn't sure whether asking for a full ride would be appropriate. Then again, I don't know much about negotiating scholarships because I have never done it in the past.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:53 am

Vronsky wrote:
drmguy wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
drmguy wrote:Top 5% at upper T2(3.79), Working for federal judge this summer, 60 hours of pro bono
Mainly interested in: Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Irvine
What range should I apply to?

You should probably apply to CNPMBG UCLA/USC. Not familiar with Irvine's numbers.

You didn't chance me on the schools. I want the full Vronsky prophecy.

You asked what schools to apply to.

I'm going to assume either your LS is in CA or you are a CA resident.
Berkley = 45%
UCLA/USC = 75%
C/N = 40%
M = 45%
G = 75%


I'd put C/N at 30%, P at 35% and M at 50%.
Agree on B, G and the California schools. I'd also put NU at 55% if you decide to add it.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 am

keg411 wrote:I'd put C/N at 30%, P at 35% and M at 50%.
Agree on B, G and the California schools. I'd also put NU at 55% if you decide to add it.

Thanks for the help! It's starting to get busy in here!

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:19 am

haranv wrote:School: TTTT
Rank: Top 1%

Applications:

NYU
Berkeley
MVP
Georgetown
Washington and Lee
Cornell
Penn State

Booked 4 classes this past semester, and have no ties to any particular state (International student).

Your best chance for T14 is probably GULC, but you need to get your app in there ASAP. I'm not sure about the effect of being an international student, but it might be worth a small boost.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:20 am

cojsterling wrote:William and Mary top 20% va resident. Chances on UVA/Georgetown? Thanks!

The VA resident thing helps at UVA, but class rank should be top 10% to make it realistic. GULC isn't that much higher than W&M right? It's a possibility but not super likely.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 am

jd1969a wrote:Brooklyn/Hofstra/St. John's
3.77, 8.6%
Chance for Columbia/NYU/M/Penn/Cornell/Georgetown

Depends a bit on if you are at BLS or at Hofstra/SJU (BLS being better).
C/N - 20%
P/M - 25%
Cornell - 30%
GULC - 40%

(add 5% to all if BLS)

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 am

transfermaybe34 wrote:Would love your opinions...

At BU
3.81 (BU officially says I'm top 5 in section of ~80...this is the highest distinction BU makes)

Applying broadly: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern

Thanks!

Chances are probably as good as it gets from BU for H. In your app, try to highlight WE in either PS or resume. S is a longer shot. CN is likely. PMBN should be a lock, but I don't know that it's worth it to transfer there. I'd probably say aim for H or stay.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 am

cappad0cian wrote:Any thoughts on my odds?

3.8, top 8% at NY area T2.

Already sent in applications to NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern. Deferred from GULC EA, but in at GW. Ideally would like to stay in NY - home sweet home.

Thanks very much!

Depends which T2 - there's a huge range of NY area T2s from borderline T1 (dozo) to borderline T3 (NYLS).

C/N are both possibly, but i wouldn't say likely at either (although maybe if at dozo). 20-25%.
MP are probably your target schools. 30-40%
NG are very likely. 50%+

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 am

aeg113 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
aeg113 wrote:I am number 1 of 355/ GPA 3.86 at a school ranked in the 80s

Thinking about CCN... Any thoughts on what my odds are? Should consider transferring at all or just stay at the school I'm at now and try to stay on top?



Blanket top 14 and see what your options are. You should get in somewhere....they are going to hook you up with a full ride aren't they if you stay?


Trying to negotiate that right now. Requesting my transcripts/LOR shows my current school that I am serious about transferring, so hopefully they will offer me a full ride. Is that what schools normally do with the top student of the 1L class? To be honest, I wasn't sure whether asking for a full ride would be appropriate. Then again, I don't know much about negotiating scholarships because I have never done it in the past.

You should apply to H. They will occasionally take a #1 from a T2 school, although its always a long shot (20-25% odds, but definitely worth the app fee).
I think getting one of CCN is very likely. But you need to get your apps in soon (NYU is especially slow about processing).
If you have some regional preference, pick your PMB. Also very likely.
Beyond that, considering schools like GULC is a toss up - if you have LR and a nice scholly, it's arguable that you should stay, especially if your current school is where you want to live & work.

in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby in_reverie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:42 am

At Davis
4.0 GPA. #1 out of 184 (or at least tied for #1, they don't give out individual rankings). Average softs.
YSH? CCN? Berkeley?

I'd like a federal clerkship and then ultimately to live and work in California. Will CCN do that for me better than just staying at Davis?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:45 am

in_reverie wrote:At Davis
4.0 GPA. #1 out of 184 (or at least tied for #1, they don't give out individual rankings). Average softs.
YSH? CCN? Berkeley?

I'd like a federal clerkship and then ultimately to live and work in California. Will CCN do that for me better than just staying at Davis?

Not sure about your chances for CA work at CCN vs. Davis. What is Davis's ranking within the UC schools?
You should definitely apply to S and Berkley. Both are probably significant upgrades, especially for clerking.
S - 40%
B - 75%

in_reverie
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby in_reverie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:55 am

Vronsky wrote:
in_reverie wrote:At Davis
4.0 GPA. #1 out of 184 (or at least tied for #1, they don't give out individual rankings). Average softs.
YSH? CCN? Berkeley?

I'd like a federal clerkship and then ultimately to live and work in California. Will CCN do that for me better than just staying at Davis?

Not sure about your chances for CA work at CCN vs. Davis. What is Davis's ranking within the UC schools?
You should definitely apply to S and Berkley. Both are probably significant upgrades, especially for clerking.
S - 40%
B - 75%

We're battling with Hastings for Bay Area work and behind both UCLA and Irvine for SoCal. Less reach in SoCal than I expected (where I have a preference, I think).

Anything I should mention in my PS that you think will increase my chances for Stanford? I figure it should be pretty obvious why I (or anyone) would want to attend. Do they care that I want to stay in the area?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:30 pm

in_reverie wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
in_reverie wrote:At Davis
4.0 GPA. #1 out of 184 (or at least tied for #1, they don't give out individual rankings). Average softs.
YSH? CCN? Berkeley?

I'd like a federal clerkship and then ultimately to live and work in California. Will CCN do that for me better than just staying at Davis?

Not sure about your chances for CA work at CCN vs. Davis. What is Davis's ranking within the UC schools?
You should definitely apply to S and Berkley. Both are probably significant upgrades, especially for clerking.
S - 40%
B - 75%

We're battling with Hastings for Bay Area work and behind both UCLA and Irvine for SoCal. Less reach in SoCal than I expected (where I have a preference, I think).

Anything I should mention in my PS that you think will increase my chances for Stanford? I figure it should be pretty obvious why I (or anyone) would want to attend. Do they care that I want to stay in the area?


I think if you really want to clerk, apply to H, S and maybe Chicago. But I'd consider staying at Davis as the #1 (especially if you have $$ -- and if you don't, ask for it). If anyone is going to get SoCal + a Federal Clerkship, it's probably going to be you.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm

sorry to start a side conversation here but.... there are a lot of people transferring out of my school... anyone notice this???.... if I go to a certain top 20 next year 4 of my class mates will be there with me....really really weird.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:45 pm

keg411 wrote:
in_reverie wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
in_reverie wrote:At Davis
4.0 GPA. #1 out of 184 (or at least tied for #1, they don't give out individual rankings). Average softs.
YSH? CCN? Berkeley?

I'd like a federal clerkship and then ultimately to live and work in California. Will CCN do that for me better than just staying at Davis?

Not sure about your chances for CA work at CCN vs. Davis. What is Davis's ranking within the UC schools?
You should definitely apply to S and Berkley. Both are probably significant upgrades, especially for clerking.
S - 40%
B - 75%

We're battling with Hastings for Bay Area work and behind both UCLA and Irvine for SoCal. Less reach in SoCal than I expected (where I have a preference, I think).

Anything I should mention in my PS that you think will increase my chances for Stanford? I figure it should be pretty obvious why I (or anyone) would want to attend. Do they care that I want to stay in the area?


I think if you really want to clerk, apply to H, S and maybe Chicago. But I'd consider staying at Davis as the #1 (especially if you have $$ -- and if you don't, ask for it). If anyone is going to get SoCal + a Federal Clerkship, it's probably going to be you.

I suspect there are west-coast judges in District Court and COA that probably only read apps from Stanford and Berkley. Fed. Judges typically get hundreds of apps for a few positions, and very aggressively screen. And the Art. III clerkship numbers for Stanford (and to a lesser extent Berkley) vs. Davis are probably staggering.

(Anecdotally - one of the judges that I heard speak at my east coast school said she got 1,100 apps for like 5 spots. She said she only "reads" apps from 4 schools.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Vronsky wrote:I suspect there are west-coast judges in District Court and COA that probably only read apps from Stanford and Berkley. Fed. Judges typically get hundreds of apps for a few positions, and very aggressively screen. And the Art. III clerkship numbers for Stanford (and to a lesser extent Berkley) vs. Davis are probably staggering.

(Anecdotally - one of the judges that I heard speak at my east coast school said she got 1,100 apps for like 5 spots. She said she only "reads" apps from 4 schools.


It's certainly possible, but I still think the #1 person at Davis is plenty competitive for a Fed. Clerkship. Especially since S and B have mushy grades and it might be harder to stand out -- especially without LR. If the poster were top 3-5% or so at Davis, I'd agree with you, but #1 is a different story.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Top 5% at T2 ranked 60-70

Looking at CLS, NYU, Penn, UVA, G'Town

I read through some of the earlier pages -- I feel like I'd have a good chance at GULC, but is it worth it to give up full scholarship, (presumably) law review, class rank, etc. for the OCI at G'Town / do they even let transfers do write-on?

Some of the earlier posts also made it seem as if UVA doesn't accept out-of-state transfers. Truth to this? I stayed on the WL at UVA until the very last day in my 0L cycle (and I'm not from VA), so I feel like maybe that'd help--though I don't want to waste my time

I'm sure C, N, and P are stretches, but those are the 3 I'd love to be at.

Chances at those 5 / answers to my previous questions about GULC/UVA?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:03 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:Top 5% at T2 ranked 60-70

Looking at CLS, NYU, Penn, UVA, G'Town

I read through some of the earlier pages -- I feel like I'd have a good chance at GULC, but is it worth it to give up full scholarship, (presumably) law review, class rank, etc. for the OCI at G'Town / do they even let transfers do write-on?

Some of the earlier posts also made it seem as if UVA doesn't accept out-of-state transfers. Truth to this? I stayed on the WL at UVA until the very last day in my 0L cycle (and I'm not from VA), so I feel like maybe that'd help--though I don't want to waste my time

I'm sure C, N, and P are stretches, but those are the 3 I'd love to be at.

Chances at those 5 / answers to my previous questions about GULC/UVA?

Let's see. You would be competitive at all schools, maybe even UVA. I mentioned before they only took 10 transfers last year though.
GULC - 70%
UVA - 25%
C/N - 25%
P - 45%

As for whether it's worth it at GULC, that's not clear to me. It depends on factors like how bad do you want to work in DC. For the other schools, I'd say it's worth it despite your LR and scholarship, but outside the T10 its a tossup. What market is your current school located? And where do you want to work?

dtl
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby dtl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Final grades came in and I am looking to be chanced. 3.762 which is top 9%. First semester was 3.89 and second dropped me down. I am a California resident but my current law school is U of Arizona( ranked early 40s.)

I have family in the La area with some family illness that makes me prefer by that area. Still, I am applying around to see what my options are before cornering myself into La.

Chances at Berkeley, USC, UCLA, Irvine, NYU, Georgetown and Cornell. Should I even bother with Columbia or Chicago?


thanks!

toplawschoolguy1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby toplawschoolguy1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Trying to make a lateral transfer from one T4 to another T4 to be close to family.

In the bottom 1/2 of the class, but I'm trying to transfer from a full-time program into a part-time program. Is it likely?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.