What are your chances? I'll chance you

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:38 pm

blueblueblue wrote:top 10% UT?

Where do you want to go? You're in at CCN, and borderline at YSH.

LawStudent4567

Postby LawStudent4567 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Top 3% TTT/TTTT in Ohio. Chances at:

GULC?
Mich?
UVA?
UPenn? (From PA)
Berkley?
GW?

transfer2014

Postby transfer2014 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:38 pm

3.72 - Top 20% at Cornell.

I don't know if it affects anything, but A+'d a class. A's/A-'s but one B is dragging me down (probably doesn't affect anything, but thought I'd toss it out there).

Even a prayer of a chance at Harvard?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:36 pm

LawStudent4567 wrote:Top 3% TTT/TTTT in Ohio. Chances at:

GULC?
Mich?
UVA?
UPenn? (From PA)
Berkley?
GW?

Not all that familiar with TTT/TTTT, but you're best options are probably GULC and GW. It's just harder to move up into the T14. UPenn and Mich are good reaches given location. Also consider BU? ND?
Last edited by Vronsky on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 pm

transfer2014 wrote:3.72 - Top 20% at Cornell.

I don't know if it affects anything, but A+'d a class. A's/A-'s but one B is dragging me down (probably doesn't affect anything, but thought I'd toss it out there).

Probably not, but maybe if you have good WE. More likely CCN. Is Ithaca that bad? You're set for NYC V10.

transfer2014

Postby transfer2014 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Vronsky wrote:
transfer2014 wrote:3.72 - Top 20% at Cornell.

Probably not, but maybe if you have good WE. More likely CCN. Is Ithaca that bad? You're set for NYC V10.

It's driving me a little nuts. Also, I really want to be in Boston (for school and after). I'm a northern New Englander.

Unfortunately, I'm also a K-JD so I was pushing it even at top 10%. Le sigh.

yabuddy

Postby yabuddy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Just got my final grade and would appreciate advice.

Ended up with a 3.9x GPA at a T30; I don't have the exact rank yet but I should be ranked #1, 2, or 3 out of ~ 200.

What are my shots at YSHCCN (only have ties to the NY schools)?

And would it be worth it to transfer to any school lower if my current school is in a decent market w/ decent job prospects?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Top 15% tier 2. Can I get into Northwestern or GULC? Already into GWU.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:35 am

Got my last grades, one was my lowest of all of LS so I dropped a little....

Top 15% at Fordham. Where can I go? Any chance at Cornell/Michigan/Penn/NYU? I've seen NYU dip as low as top 20% I think on transferapps, so idk if it might be worth it to try. I'm pretty anxious to transfer anywhere because I'm paying sticker and not on LR.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 am

Just waiting on LRW (only 2 credits), but I'm...

-3.97/Top 1-2 percent (estimated) at T20
-1L SA
-Four years WE in Marketing/Communications
-No word on journal yet
-Clubs in interest areas (not that anyone cares)

Applying to Y, H, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Duke, Penn. Only interested in East Coast, and oh yeah, I'm currently paying sticker at a private law school.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 am

yabuddy wrote:Just got my final grade and would appreciate advice.

Ended up with a 3.9x GPA at a T30; I don't have the exact rank yet but I should be ranked #1, 2, or 3 out of ~ 200.

What are my shots at YSHCCN (only have ties to the NY schools)?

And would it be worth it to transfer to any school lower if my current school is in a decent market w/ decent job prospects?

The exact ranking makes somewhat of a difference - being #1 makes you more competitive at H. Y and S are still longshots, but not a waste or app fee. CCN is your target range. But if you are on scholarship and LR and have decent market prospects, it might not be worth it. Depends on how much you covet NYC V10 BigLaw.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:35 am

jarofsoup wrote:Top 15% tier 2. Can I get into Northwestern or GULC? Already into GWU.

Probably not.... there's still hope for GULC, but it would help to be closer to 10%. Interest in GW?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 am

tedalbany wrote:Got my last grades, one was my lowest of all of LS so I dropped a little....

Top 15% at Fordham. Where can I go? Any chance at Cornell/Michigan/Penn/NYU? I've seen NYU dip as low as top 20% I think on transferapps, so idk if it might be worth it to try. I'm pretty anxious to transfer anywhere because I'm paying sticker and not on LR.

It's a bit of a long shot, but probably worth applying to NYU, CLS, Penn, Mich. Much lower than that (GULC) and you aren't improving anything for OCI purposes.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:37 am

FlanSolo wrote:Just waiting on LRW (only 2 credits), but I'm...

-3.97/Top 1-2 percent (estimated) at T20
-1L SA
-Four years WE in Marketing/Communications
-No word on journal yet
-Clubs in interest areas (not that anyone cares)

Applying to Y, H, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Duke, Penn. Only interested in East Coast, and oh yeah, I'm currently paying sticker at a private law school.

Good chances at HCN. That's what you should concentrate on, not UVA or Duke.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 am

Vronsky wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Top 15% tier 2. Can I get into Northwestern or GULC? Already into GWU.

Probably not.... there's still hope for GULC, but it would help to be closer to 10%. Interest in GW?

I am already into GWU as an EA admit and made my stipulations. So would being at GWU be to an advantage to being at tier 2? What about UCLA or USC....... Where should I shoot for a boost. Or is everything a reach and I should be fortunate for GWU.. I was also considering Davis since it is regional to where I want to work.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am

Question: I’ve been calling around to a bunch of offices at my law school. Apparently the only financial aid that is offered for 2Ls and 3Ls requires an application, and that application was due in March. Does this sound right? I checked my email and ONE email was sent out about it.

So I guess I'm not getting any additional aid despite being in the top 7-10%. This is crap. Time to get serious about my transfer apps. Hopefully I can leave this TTTT.
Last edited by shock259 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doodledoctor

Postby doodledoctor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 am

I am probably around top 15% at Loyola Law School Los Angeles (#51).

Applying to USC and UCLA. What are my chances?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

I am already into GWU as an EA admit and made my stipulations. So would being at GWU be to an advantage to being at tier 2? What about UCLA or USC....... Where should I shoot for a boost. Or is everything a reach and I should be fortunate for GWU.. I was also considering Davis since it is regional to where I want to work.

I don't know a ton about GWU's OCI prospects with respect to DC and NYC big law. You should be competitive at UCLA/USC and should apply if you want to be out west.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm

shock259 wrote:Question: I’ve been calling around to a bunch of offices at my law school. Apparently the only financial aid that is offered for 2Ls and 3Ls requires an application, and that application was due in March. Does this sound right? I checked my email and ONE email was sent out about it.

So I guess I'm not getting any additional aid despite being in the top 7-10%. This is crap. Time to get serious about my transfer apps. Hopefully I can leave this TTTT.

I only know about this from my personal experience. My school gave a scholly boost to the top 10% which obviously wasn't notified until after spring grades. You should speak to someone with authority/decision making power, either Dean of students, the dean, or someone on the scholarship committee. Lay it all out there - tell them about your current scholarship, schools you've been accepted to as a transfer, and career goals. Ask for advice. Then, politely broach the subject of increasing your scholarshpi - talk about how finances are important, and part of your decision making process.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 pm

doodledoctor wrote:I am probably around top 15% at Loyola Law School Los Angeles (#51).

Rank isn't super but should get a boost from vicinity. any idea how many more in your class more highly ranked than you are applying to the same schools? At most, each of USC and UCLA will take 5-6 people from you school.

doodledoctor

Postby doodledoctor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Vronsky wrote:
doodledoctor wrote:I am probably around top 15% at Loyola Law School Los Angeles (#51).

Rank isn't super but should get a boost from vicinity. any idea how many more in your class more highly ranked than you are applying to the same schools? At most, each of USC and UCLA will take 5-6 people from you school.

No I don't. A good amount of grades for other sections have not be released yet. Many people that did well the first semester are very worried about second semester because of the changes that went on.

Does it help to have family that previously attended the schools (not the law school), previously and/or currently?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm

doodledoctor wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

No I don't. A good amount of grades for other sections have not be released yet. Many people that did well the first semester are very worried about second semester because of the changes that went on.

Does it help to have family that previously attended the schools (not the law school), previously and/or currently?

People in the top 20% at USD got in ED binding to USC. So there is a good chance that you could get in....I am applying to UCLA and USC and I am pretty much at a peer school..

doodledoctor

Postby doodledoctor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
doodledoctor wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

People in the top 20% at USD got in ED binding to USC. So there is a good chance that you could get in....I am applying to UCLA and USC and I am pretty much at a peer school..

However, my school will kick me out of Phase 1 of OCI if I do apply since I need the Dean's approval to release my grades. So applying is not an easy decision for me.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Vronsky wrote:
shock259 wrote:Question: I’ve been calling around to a bunch of offices at my law school. Apparently the only financial aid that is offered for 2Ls and 3Ls requires an application, and that application was due in March. Does this sound right? I checked my email and ONE email was sent out about it.

I only know about this from my personal experience. My school gave a scholly boost to the top 10% which obviously wasn't notified until after spring grades. You should speak to someone with authority/decision making power, either Dean of students, the dean, or someone on the scholarship committee. Lay it all out there - tell them about your current scholarship, schools you've been accepted to as a transfer, and career goals. Ask for advice. Then, politely broach the subject of increasing your scholarshpi - talk about how finances are important, and part of your decision making process.

This is very helpful - thank you. I emailed the Dean of Students (who I am friendly with) about a Dean's Letter and stating my intent to transfer. I'll bring it up in our future conversations.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Doodle:

What? That is so unethical I can't comprehend it. They kick you out of OCI for applying to transfer? You should raise hell about this. IMO, it's more of a motivation to transfer to avoid unethical asshats like that..... you probably never gone there in the first place if they have policies like that. It's one thing to be TTT in terms of LSAT and OCI placement, it's another to be TTT in terms of unethical polices. Threaten and write letters to the ABA, law school journals, USNews, every major newspaper, Above the law, etc etc.

Return to “Transfers”